Video analysis

jinx

May 27, 2016
Hi all,

looking for some video analysis of the the systems/ play styles of NHL teams and individuals in order to learn more about the game and improve my own. Coming from a football (soccer) background there tends to be alot of that sort of thing around on youtube, but this doesnt seem to be the case for hockey. Does anyone know of any good reputable channels or websites where i could find that kind of stuff? the only channel of that ilk on youtube seems to be Jeremy Weiss.

hope you can help, thanks in advance.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Check out Darryl Belfry's channel. He does a lot different types of videos so you might have to sift through things to find what you need. He's the skills coach for the Leafs.

Reactions: Andrei79

jinx

May 27, 2016
Check out Darryl Belfry's channel. He does a lot different types of videos so you might have to sift through things to find what you need. He's the skills coach for the Leafs.

Thanks for that, looks like the kind of thing I was looking for at a breif glance. I knew I had probably missed something. Any other content like this out there?

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Thanks for that, looks like the kind of thing I was looking for at a breif glance. I knew I had probably missed something. Any other content like this out there?

Sorry, Weiss and Belfrey are the only ones I know that do systems stuff. The rest focus on individual skill development like how to shoot and skate.

Najtrebor

Apr 19, 2018
Calgary
rjweise.github.io
I'm very interested in this topic and the Belfry videos were new to me, and I enjoyed (some of) them as they explained the cycle for example. I wonder why there is not more out there. Do you guys think there's just no-one yet who went through the trouble, or is it often considered "secret" or something?

Topher Scott has some interesting posts sometimes with video and he also does some good visual analysis with annotated pictures. I have done something similar I am thinking of doing more of that. Does anyone want to join me creating similar posts?
upload_2018-8-24_14-4-59.png

Or
2018-02-16_13-19-57.png

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Let me preface by saying watch puck, a lot of puck, and rewind segments and watch them again because you will miss a lot of what goes on at game speed. Slow it down if you have to. And watch players without the puck and what they are doing. YouTube has a ton of full archived games you can watch for free.

Back to your question...

Check out this YT Channel Elite Ice Hockey Analysis by Mike McGinnis for some clips of the finer aspects of the game. I like a lot of his videos. Below are some examples.

Entries

Retrieval and escape

Breakouts by defensemen

Also, read this book for a systems and strategy based approach. Good book I have read and refer back to time and time and can vouch for. And again watch a lot of hockey. Rewind the tape and watch it again.

51rmS99Q0AL._SX384_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad