Video: 2013 World Junior Championship - Tomas Hyka and Patrik Bartosak, Czech Republi

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

If one were looking for an upset from the first three days of the 2013 World Junior Championship, probably the closest example came on Day 3 of the tournament with the Czech Republic's 3-1 win over Finland.

While Finland was not a prohibitive favorite in this game, they were generally considered to be the better of the two clubs heading into the tournament.

Los Angeles Kings prospect Tomas Hyka got things going for the Czech's in this game with his first goal of this tournament while goaltender Patrik Bartosak of the WHL's Red Deer Rebels stopped 29 of 30 shots to seal the victory for his country.… read more

More...

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Considering how we are willing to target overagers, and how we likely need to draft a goalie this year, I would like to see the Kings take a mid-round swing at Bartosak.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Considering how we are willing to target overagers, and how we likely need to draft a goalie this year, I would like to see the Kings take a mid-round swing at Bartosak.

There are a couple of goalies I like ahead of him for a mid round pick but I am curious, why do you see us drafting a goalie this year? With Gibson, Jones and JF all doing well in their development (project 3yrs for JF, 4 for Gibby and Jones is another year away) and with JB ready to become a #1 starter (though likely to be dealt) I see us as having our netminding sewn up for awhile.

I respect your take(s) so I am curious to see if you are seeing something that I am missing which is always possible (and likely).

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
There are a couple of goalies I like ahead of him for a mid round pick but I am curious, why do you see us drafting a goalie this year? With Gibson, Jones and JF all doing well in their development (project 3yrs for JF, 4 for Gibby and Jones is another year away) and with JB ready to become a #1 starter (though likely to be dealt) I see us as having our netminding sewn up for awhile.

I respect your take(s) so I am curious to see if you are seeing something that I am missing which is always possible (and likely).

Hey TG,

I have a few reasons.

First is our draft history. I don't look to much at the 2006 draft regarding DL, as that was a draft done by DT's scouts. The 2007 draft is the first of DL's drafts with his crew in place. That year, we grabbed Linden Rowat.

After that, we next drafted a goalie in 2009 (Berube) and 2011 (Gibson), so we've been picking a goalie every second year.

Additionally, I think that drafting partner fits into what DL wants for a 'goalie pipeline' so to speak. By drafting a goalie in 2013, we'd have a goalie in junior who is a few years away from pro hockey (though taking a Bartosak type who is older would make that just one more year I believe). Gibson would jump to the ECHL, Berube would jump to the AHL and Jones would either go to LA (to fill in for Bernier who likely will be traded as his contract is up after the 2012-2013 season if there is one) or be traded if DL/Sutter don't think he can hack it as a NHLer.

I agree that JB is likely to be a number one, but I don't think he'll be in LA long-term. He looks to be in a Cory Schnieder situation and, unlikely Schnieder forcing out Luongo I don't think bernier will forcing out Quick anytime soon, hence why he'll get dealt.

Barring drafting an overager, whoever we get will be in juniors for a few years and a lot can change in a few years, it's a good idea to have another puckstopper in the system to keep the pipeline flowing.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
There has to be a Tender on the board they like. No one knows if LA's scouts like any current Goalie coming out this year.

Never pick based on need. Pick BPA. (at least that is my opinion).

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
There has to be a Tender on the board they like. No one knows if LA's scouts like any current Goalie coming out this year.

Never pick based on need. Pick BPA. (at least that is my opinion).

Of course you do that. That said, come the later rounds, which would likely be when the Kings would grab a goalie, there is little to seperate Player A from Player B. So if you're pretty close on two players, and ones a goalie, take the goalie.

Taking BPA is the standard, I agree, but there are exceptions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad