OT: Victoria, BC

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I've spent a ton of time in the Southern half of this province and Salt Spring definitely takes the cake as the best area. Honourable mentions to Whistler and Campbell River solely because of Elk Falls.

Absolutely fantastic place to be in the summer and I recommend it to literally anyone who's intrigued by the nature scene.

Imho, all the gulf islands have their own weird little personality and eccentric communities. Each one is worth a trip all on their own. Some amazing local artists all over the place.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I don't understand your confusion. Even if I accept your math at face value, you are suggesting that around 1 in 4 people nationwide can afford to live there yet are confused at how it has a population of 80,000?

Actually less than 1 in 4 can afford to live precisely where I live (houses around here regularly sell for $2 mil +), though I should preface that with "on their own." As mentioned you can have a room-mate or a spouse or partner etc in a 1 bedroom and ya... maybe that works.

This data here is from 2011 and it's far far far far worse now:
http://www.nsnews.com/news/it-costs-a-lot-to-live-on-the-north-shore-stats-can-reports-1.640496

But these prices are not that far off prices further from Vancouver central, even once you get our to Langley and Maple Ridge now the prices aren't that different.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Some positives

Climate is good - nice summers that don't get too hot and mild winters - pretty much year round golf.

Great access to outdoors - good for hiking, fishing, camping, boating, sailing, water sports - great (seasonal) surfing not too far away in Jordan River. Skiing also not that far away on Mount Washington.

Very sports oriented - tons of sports for all age groups especially kids and seniors

Some areas like the West shore (Langford, Colwood, etc) are growing quickly and providing more housing and rental possibilities.

Some nice beach areas but far short of that found in Vancouver.

Lots of good bike access - seemingly have preference over cars

Once you get thru the Malahat section (which is supposedly being upgraded) Island Highway allows you to get up Island quickly

Some beautiful and well maintained parks in the area. Many variety of plants and flowers (some of it very unique to the area).

Lots of concern about the environment although sometimes carried to extremes.

People are friendly and helpful. Much more likely to give you a break in traffic or say hello to you. Still has a bit of a small town feel. Much better than a place like Vancouver in that aspect.

Lots of arts festivals and artists in the area and some real wild and popular weekend rock and country music festivals. I'd say country music is the most heard music around Victoria.

Lived in Vancouver and the metro area of Vancouver and in the Victoria area and the lifestyle is simply better in most areas of Victoria.

Negatives

Place is divided into a number of different local government (13 in all) and often little cooperation between them - act like medieval fiefdoms and NIMBY attitude is pervasive. (especially in Saanich) All movements toward a metro system are fought vigorously against by old guard. Really a dog in the manager attitude where older people have got a nice set up and don't want to share any of it with younger families.

Traffic is awful as result of system of governance and there are some unnecessarily bad traffic issues. (MacKenzie Interchange should help but will also lead to tie ups elsewhere). Parking in down town Victoria is brutal. Lack of concern for those who have to get back and forth to work is evident. But still have nothing like the problems found in Vancouver

Very left wing politically and kind of anti-development attitude is prevalent. In some cases justified but mostly overdone.

Downtown area of Victoria is not well maintained and there are many complaints about the dirty streets and sidewalks. Victoria city council is too concerned about global issues and not enough about the day to day management of the city. See lots of drifters and drug users on the streets which interfere with local businesses - a good example was the council support of the homeless encampment last summer that lasted months and ended up costing millions for local businesses and even more millions for the provincial government. Moreover, real bad stuff went went on pretty much unchecked in the camp.

House prices are rising and there is an overall lack of places to rent or buy. People increasing moving to the western burbs and even out to Sooke to get reasonably priced homes or accommodations.

Places like Langford are in a transitional stage from being rural to urban which increases construction and transportation problems. End up with a mixture of shabby older places and newer buildings.

Got to take a ferry to get to the mainland if you need to get over there.

Overall great place to live but need some sort of metro governing body to do better overall urban planning and to direct taxes money more efficiently and relieve some of the present hodge podge nature of place.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Actually less than 1 in 4 can afford to live precisely where I live (houses around here regularly sell for $2 mil +), though I should preface that with "on their own." As mentioned you can have a room-mate or a spouse or partner etc in a 1 bedroom and ya... maybe that works.

This data here is from 2011 and it's far far far far worse now:
http://www.nsnews.com/news/it-costs-a-lot-to-live-on-the-north-shore-stats-can-reports-1.640496

But these prices are not that far off prices further from Vancouver central, even once you get our to Langley and Maple Ridge now the prices aren't that different.

I am still not grasping your point, sorry.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Victoria is fantastic.

As for the Canucks, there are packages with Air Canada or WestJet I think that shuttle you from the airport to the arena and get you flying home the same night of a game. Not sure if that's still happening though. Just go to Royals games in Victoria instead.

Tons of great restaurants, and you can easily get from downtown Victoria to downtown Vancouver with a quick harbour flight. Takes about 30 minutes. You're also super close to Seattle, which is a huge perk. Downtown Victoria to downtown Seattle via the Victoria Clipper is a great way to travel. I think it's about 2.5-3 hours, and totally stress free compared to driving down the I-5.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Thanks everyone. I get in tomorrow afternoon so I'll have the afternoon and evening to walk around and check the place out before my interview Friday morning. I was nervous about the idea since I have never been to Western Canada before nor lived in a metro area with less than 2 million people, but you guys calmed me down.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Thanks everyone. I get in tomorrow afternoon so I'll have the afternoon and evening to walk around and check the place out before my interview Friday morning. I was nervous about the idea since I have never been to Western Canada before nor lived in a metro area with less than 2 million people, but you guys calmed me down.

Yeah I wouldn't worry about it at allâ€â€it's a great city that isn't a bustling metropolis, nor is it a bumpkin small town.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Victoria's nice if you live in Victoria. Not so nice if you need to get into/out of Victoria.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Victoria's nice if you live in Victoria. Not so nice if you need to get into/out of Victoria.

This post is very ironic considering what happened to me on my way out. I get back to the hotel after the interview and the YYR Shuttle zips right by without slowing down (I guess I was standing in the wrong spot) So I take a cab to the airport and as I am getting there my flight to Vancouver was cancelled so they booked me on a later flight to Vancouver then Vancouver to Edmonton and then Edmonton back to Toronto. I got to the airport early enough that I was able to get on an earlier flight to Vancouver than I was originally scheduled for but when I got to Vancouver they had already given away my seat on the Toronto flight, so now I am at the Edmonton airport on a 3 hours layover.

I know they say that that a fixed link between the Island and the mainland doesn't work financially but I got to think all the people flying from the airport, taking the pontoon planes, and the helijet that its got to make some sense.

WhiteCurse

Jan 4, 2013
Canada VI
This post is very ironic considering what happened to me on my way out. I get back to the hotel after the interview and the YYR Shuttle zips right by without slowing down (I guess I was standing in the wrong spot) So I take a cab to the airport and as I am getting there my flight to Vancouver was cancelled so they booked me on a later flight to Vancouver then Vancouver to Edmonton and then Edmonton back to Toronto. I got to the airport early enough that I was able to get on an earlier flight to Vancouver than I was originally scheduled for but when I got to Vancouver they had already given away my seat on the Toronto flight, so now I am at the Edmonton airport on a 3 hours layover.

I know they say that that a fixed link between the Island and the mainland doesn't work financially but I got to think all the people flying from the airport, taking the pontoon planes, and the helijet that its got to make some sense.

We dont want mainlanders to have that easy of accesses to the Island

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Plus the gulf island residents would have absolutely nothing to do with it. Heck, they had to re-route natural gas and power lines because some gulf islands didn't want those going through their islands.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad