Victims of the Cap

william_adams

Aug 3, 2005
Kyushu
IMHO Jason Allison would be getting a contract somewhere around the 5mm/year level in the old system. It looks as though he will be lucky to get 1mm this year.

Gary Roberts would be playing in Toronto.... Perhaps Tukka Rask would still be a Leaf prospect (would've signed a free agent rather than trading for raycroft...)

These are all Leaf related examples, any others you can think of??

Mikael

Feb 22, 2004
IMHO Jason Allison would be getting a contract somewhere around the 5mm/year level in the old system. It looks as though he will be lucky to get 1mm this year.

Gary Roberts would be playing in Toronto.... Perhaps Tukka Rask would still be a Leaf prospect (would've signed a free agent rather than trading for raycroft...)

These are all Leaf related examples, any others you can think of??

As Hedberg said in the previous post, most teams have examples. Colorado for example would still have Forsberg, Foote, Blake and Tanguay on the roster instead of Turgeon, Brisebois et al.

Fugu

I second the "every team is a victim" sentiment. The salary cap forces talent to be distributed in a somewhat even fashion. The fact that some teams decide not to spend as much as allowed will have more to do with their own budget than the fact that the NHL has created a mechanism that allows them to do so. That said, Ottawa and Buffalo won't be able to hang on to all their young talent indefinitely and NYR or Toronto won't be able to pick any or all of it up at will.

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
If you'd be willing to sign Jason Allison for 5M if there was no cap, I have some swampland in NJ I'd like to sell you.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He isn't a victim of the cap, he is now finally going to be paid what he is worth.

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
IMHO Jason Allison would be getting a contract somewhere around the 5mm/year level in the old system.
...and around 1/4 of the way through the season, some team would be saying to themselves, "Oh ****, what the hell did we do?" (like the Kings thought when they traded for Roenick).

So instead of an entire team & their fans being victimized by one lousy, overpaid player, the one lousy, overpaid player is the "victim".

Sounds good to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad