Viacheslav Fetisov vs. Brad Park

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Who was better? How did these two play the game? What were their strength's and weaknesses?

I never had the oppurtunity to see either play and instead of going to sites like Legends of Hockey, I want to see some opinions from those who I know saw them play.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Very close I think. Two very underated defensemen IMO and Fetisov is someone we often forget when we bring up great defensemen. I picked Park though. Just by a hair. It's hard to not pick him considering that he did not have a weakness whatsoever. He did a lot of things very good, and a lot of things great.

Fetisov is there too. There isnt a weakness in his game either. Park beats him in the physicality department and that's what separates them, that's it. Both are with Pilote and just on the outside of the top 10 defensemen of all time.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
Very close I think. Two very underated defensemen IMO and Fetisov is someone we often forget when we bring up great defensemen. I picked Park though. Just by a hair. It's hard to not pick him considering that he did not have a weakness whatsoever. He did a lot of things very good, and a lot of things great.

Fetisov is there too. There isnt a weakness in his game either. Park beats him in the physicality department and that's what separates them, that's it. Both are with Pilote and just on the outside of the top 10 defensemen of all time.

What?

Fetisov was very physical. Park threw hipchecks more, but Fetisov layed some big ones often enough.

Peak? I take Fetisov. The guy was on the Potvin/Bourque level at his best, which is a hair higher than Park. Unfortunately, the Russian system ate them for all they were worth young more often than not because of how hard they were pushed with minimal medical benefits at the time.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
What?

Fetisov was very physical. Park threw hipchecks more, but Fetisov layed some big ones often enough.

Peak? I take Fetisov. The guy was on the Potvin/Bourque level at his best, which is a hair higher than Park. Unfortunately, the Russian system ate them for all they were worth young more often than not because of how hard they were pushed with minimal medical benefits at the time.

Not to take anything away from Fetisov, he was a tough cookie too and I dont deny how he could throw a hit. But Park did throw a good hipcheck like you said and he fought a lot more early in his career. Physically I would give him the edge at the end of the day. That's just me, other than that there is not much, if anything, that separates them. But I was impressed by Fetisov's peak. A 1987 Fetisov vs. a 1972 Park would be a good poll and I wouldnt argue if Fetisov won.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Two players I like a lot. Fetisov is one of my all-time favorite players and I have him ahead of Park.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad