Confirmed Trade: [VGK/TOR] Calvin Pickard for Tobias Lindberg and 2018 6th round pick

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
"Steal" is an overstatement, sure. But "good trade" looks as if it should be an accurate description, probably for both teams.

Reactions: FerrisRox

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I am fully aware that they are able to bypass the waiver process because he just cleared. What I am pointing out, that you seem to be missing, is calling a trade where you pick up a a minor league goaltender that the entire league just passed on acquiring for free a "steal" is a little bit odd.

How do you steal something that literally nobody wanted for free?

Ignoring the extremely superficial view of the waiver claim decision this logic is just funny. By nature a "steal" in a transaction is acquiring something for less than it's true worth, whether it be because the asset was undervalued by the market, the market was unaware of it's availability, or the market actors were not in a position/ desire to acquire it (regardless of how they valued it). Passing through waivers negates the middle. The very existence of waivers + teams really only having room for two goalies ups the potential of the last being a factor. The first we won't know for years, but on the surface Pickard's performance vs. that of recently traded similar age goalies suggests that there is a good chance that it's true. Time will tell, but shitting on fans for being happy (no matter what the wording) at getting a goalie with his pedigree for a 6th and depth prospect reeks of sour grapes

Last edited:

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Ignoring the extremely superficial view of the waiver claim decision this logic is just funny. By nature a "steal" in a transaction is acquiring something for less than it's true worth, whether it be because the asset was undervalued by the market, the market was unaware of it's availability, or the market actors were not in a position/ desire to acquire it (regardless of how they valued it). Passing through waivers negates the middle. The very existence of waivers + teams really only having room for two goalies ups the potential of the last being a factor. The first we won't know for years, but on the surface Pickard's performance vs. that of recently traded similar age goalies suggests that there is a good chance that it's true. Time will tell, but ****ting on fans for being happy (no matter what the wording) at getting a goalie with his pedigree for a 6th and depth prospect reeks of sour grapes

Yes, you've nailed it. It's sour grapes. I just can't get over the fact that my team wasn't able to acquire Calvin Pickard.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Yes, you've nailed it. It's sour grapes. I just can't get over the fact that my team wasn't able to acquire Calvin Pickard.

Sour grapes don't have to be specific the to the matter at hand, maybe you just don't like our happiness :D. Insightful reply though.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
What "pedigree" does Calvin Pickard have exactly? A couple of decent NHL seasons in which he started a total of ~25-30 games and multiple seasons of average to mediocre play in the AHL?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad