¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
giphy.gif

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
Happy to have the Panda signed long-term! He's went through a lot, and worked his ass off, to get some well earned stability. Congrats, Robin!

On the flip side, I will be immensely sad that Flower will be playing somewhere else (I'm assuming). He's been the franchise face for 3 years, and one of the most likable players in the league. Without him, the Knights likely would have floundered in their first couple of years. I hope he goes to a team that will support him in the next phase of his career.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Happy with the signing, fair numbers for both sides.
Hope Lehner can keep his game up for the next 5 years.

Now, what to do with Fleury.....

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
If we had kept Fleury the bill would be 7 plus 1.5 for a backup.

If we retain 40% on Fleury the bill is 5 plus 2.8 plus 1.5 for a backup.

That's an 800k difference from where we would have been for the next two years in our own plans. You can make that work.

Just retain to make it most simple, Fleury at 4.2 for two years (I think the actual real dollars due would only be 3.77) may not have much value in this market but it isn't something you should need to attach anything of high value to get rid.

Or pay the 2021 1st to somebody to take him and flip him for more.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Well thankfully Sharks seem to have their goalie almost locked up, Kings are next team I would want to see locked up. Other place I worry about is Edmonton with a little worry about a few Central teams. I just hope he goes East at whatever price it takes. Heck who knows as messed up as Toronto is maybe he ends up starting there since they seem dead set on moving Andersen.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
You should be happy guys. Panda is a great goalie, very athletic for his size. When he sets in and knows the ins and outs of his teammates, I'm sure he can be a solid backbone of the team.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
You should be happy guys. Panda is a great goalie, very athletic for his size. When he sets in and knows the ins and outs of his teammates, I'm sure he can be a solid backbone of the team.

Yeah he already has been. He was outstanding in the playoffs.

Anyone not happy about this move is not looking at it from a pure hockey standpoint, but is more concerned with the feelings of MAF. Sucks that he has to go, but pro sports is a cruel enterprise sometimes.

Reactions: KnishOfTheCrease

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden

Anyone not happy about this move is not looking at it from a pure hockey standpoint, but is more concerned with the feelings of MAF. Sucks that he has to go, but pro sports is a cruel enterprise sometimes.
Yeah, I'm a Lundqvist fan, tell me about it. Someone always gets the shaft in a ruthless entertainment business. Speaking of which, the salary you paid Lehner is pure robbery. Florida paid Bobrovsky double the money on terrible term. $5m for 5 years for Lehner is a GREAT deal for a goalie of that caliber.

I mean, if you're Vegas management, what can you do when a goalie like Lehner falls into your lap (I still have no clue what Chicago was thinking, $5m for Lehner each year is a steal!)? You obviously can't make him walk for free, just because you don't want to hurt MAF's feelings. Because the team is better with Lehner as a starter than MAF. Most teams are.

MAF might still be a NHL capable goalie, but when you get thrown a christmas present in your lap for nothing, you have to open it.

It's crazy to believe that Lehner played so long in the AHL and the NHL with an untreated bipolar disorder and PTSD, which he self treated heavily with alcohol and drinking pills. He was involved with quite shady characters in his youth, as to say. Now that he has support, understands his problems and is medicated, he's on yet another level of his performances.

If anyone hasn't watched this documentary, it's worth a watch. It's quite well done:

On a personal note, what I especially like about Lehner was about how intelligent he spoke with the media even when he was untreated. He's brutally honest and on point. That's what happens with people who face the abyss in my experience. And now after he understands his mental issues, he's balanced, kind, honest and intelligent in his answers, things you could see even before.

Last edited:

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

I think few are thinking negatively about it anymore, even the Fleury lovers I know have sort of backed off seeing what Lehner did. From the more knowledgeable fans, Lehner was a perfect storm in terms of being acquired cheap, being at the right age and getting really a lot less money than anyone could have expected when the deal was made. I'm sure when they made the deal they were thinking this was a 6-7 year deal at closer to $7m AAV and that would be a fair price in a world where the cap was going up a $2m a year and a bigger US TV contract was looming. I worried about those last few years of such a deal and still worry a bit about what they give up in the Fleury trade but if the retention leads them to paying about the same in cap hit for goalies but trading out a guy that you had to worry about losing his game for a guy who should be in his prime all the way to the end of this deal its an absolute no brainer and as I said before this is the stuff that gets you executive of the year awards.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I think few are thinking negatively about it anymore, even the Fleury lovers I know have sort of backed off seeing what Lehner did. From the more knowledgeable fans, Lehner was a perfect storm in terms of being acquired cheap, being at the right age and getting really a lot less money than anyone could have expected when the deal was made. I'm sure when they made the deal they were thinking this was a 6-7 year deal at closer to $7m AAV and that would be a fair price in a world where the cap was going up a $2m a year and a bigger US TV contract was looming. I worried about those last few years of such a deal and still worry a bit about what they give up in the Fleury trade but if the retention leads them to paying about the same in cap hit for goalies but trading out a guy that you had to worry about losing his game for a guy who should be in his prime all the way to the end of this deal its an absolute no brainer and as I said before this is the stuff that gets you executive of the year awards.
Exactly. This is a robbery for Vegas. Lehner is considered as pariah by alot of NHL owners, regarding his history. That you got him for this kind of money is a great deal. Lehner wants to become a great goalie, end of story, he has turned a page. Lehner in Vegas the next year should be very high up in terms of the best goalies in the league. And you got him for $5m a year. Ridiculous.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast

I guess you don't go on the Athletic, twitter or FB. I read the Athletic & my GF shows me posts from social media, even though I ask her not to, and there's still a giant percentage of the fan base that are ready to riot when Fleury is sent packing. It's irrational & pretty immature if you ask me, but so is Las Vegas so it doesn't surprise me.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I guess you don't go on the Athletic, twitter or FB. I read the Athletic & my GF shows me posts from social media, even though I ask her not to, and there's still a giant percentage of the fan base that are ready to riot when Fleury is sent packing. It's irrational & pretty immature if you ask me, but so is Las Vegas so it doesn't surprise me.

That's so Vegas!

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Exactly. This is a robbery for Vegas. Lehner is considered as pariah by alot of NHL owners, regarding his history. That you got him for this kind of money is a great deal. Lehner wants to become a great goalie, end of story, he has turned a page. Lehner in Vegas the next year should be very high up in terms of the best goalies in the league. And you got him for $5m a year. Ridiculous.

It's a total steal for Vegas. Lehner probably could've gotten $7.M on the open market, but chose stability over chasing every last dollar. Good for him & good for the team. Florida must have some serious buyers remorse right about now with Bobrovsky.

Reactions: KnishOfTheCrease

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
It's a total steal for Vegas. Lehner probably could've gotten $7.M on the open market, but chose stability over chasing every last dollar. Good for him & good for the team. Florida must have some serious buyers remorse right about now with Bobrovsky.

Lehner will still be 33 at the latest point he would play a game in that contract. That's as young as Fleury was at the end of the inaugural season.

Even if he doesn't age as gracefully as Fleury that's still probably four years of starter play and by then five million should be even cheaper against the cap. That last season we would probably be looking for a younger goalie, our prospect or a trade, to take the net from him anyway.

There's also only 3.5 million owed the last season and he only has a five team no trade list the last two seasons so it should be easy to trade even if he dips in year four. He fits perfectly for the window now and doesn't seem to be a big hindrance to a quick turnaround either.

A buyout of the final season would probably be around 2.68 against the cap that final contract season and 1.17 the season after. Not debilitating.

Reactions: Lehtonen

Pia8988

May 26, 2014

Not sure he gets 7 in a flat cap. Also probably a lot of GMs wary of his off ice questions. He's been great dealing with them so far, but it's still a possible issue.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

Who cares what social media says? I bet 90% of the people that post stuff about love for players has been to at most a game or two. That's the realm of the "oh we have a team and I love them" crowd who probably care more for the Raiders by now. As for the so-called press dedicated to this team, lets just say it seems the average time following the NHL for them is under 7 years. They have little sense in how to build a plus franchise, they are just reacting to what things seem today. I truly believe with GM/KM the franchise has a great pair who know how to build for the next decade. Now lets just hope the impatient owner lets them do their thing.

nihlify

Jan 20, 2010
Not sure he gets 7 in a flat cap. Also probably a lot of GMs wary of his off ice questions. He's been great dealing with them so far, but it's still a possible issue.
7 short term probably. 6 is probably more reasonable. 5 was kinda expected imo, at least before the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad