Proposal: VGK/PIT: Fleury for Johnson & Bjugstad

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
No Crosby/Malkin and he doesn't win either. It wasn't a single effort. Look at all the assets he wasted looking for a guy to fight Wilson and beat him up.
Rutherford knows how to build a team to win the Stanley Cup he's proven it multiple times .
Take Care.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I don't see why Vegas couldn't get a decent deal on Fleury if they retained a bit.

How many teams that have say $5 mil or more budgeted for a goalie will want to use that on a 35 year old Fleury in lieu of a younger Murray, Markstrom or Holtby? If that number is non-zero, will Fleury be interested in playing for any of those teams? He has an NTC that if utilized in a logical way (no trade list being made up of the most likely suitors) puts him in control of the situation.

You may end up being right, though. There is a ton of uncertainty in the goalie market with the volume of options, flat cap and pandemic.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
You trying to suggest he isn't a good general manager just isn't factual .
Take Care .

Good GMs miss the playoffs 75% of the time with a team? You're the one making the claim Rutherford never does anything wrong, which is clearly unture.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Good GMs miss the playoffs 75% of the time with a team? You're the one making the claim Rutherford never does anything wrong, which is clearly unture.
I already stated he wasn't perfect and made mistakes . It's you that has a hate on for him for some unreasonable reason . Rutherford as general manager has been to the final 4 times and won the Stanley Cup 3 times no general manager has done better in the last 20 years.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
How many teams that have say $5 mil or more budgeted for a goalie will want to use that on a 35 year old Fleury in lieu of a younger Murray, Markstrom or Holtby? If that number is non-zero, will Fleury be interested in playing for any of those teams? He has an NTC that if utilized in a logical way (no trade list being made up of the most likely suitors) puts him in control of the situation.

You may end up being right, though. There is a ton of uncertainty in the goalie market with the volume of options, flat cap and pandemic.

It's a fair point. Fleury holds a lot of cards. Perhaps Fleury vetoes all trades and Vegas can't re-sign Lehner. Maybe he wants to go to a contender. Maybe Fleury just wants to start. We don't know this.

There's a ton of teams that are possibly in the goalie market. I do agree that there are more desirable options than Fleury out there. But he's been excellent 2 of the last 3 years (arguably his best in the league). Not a terrible gamble potentially.

I don't think he's got crazy high value, but I also don't expect Vegas to be taking a bunch of bad contracts themselves (but if they were, I'll gladly propose Lucic for Fleury)

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
The issue with Fleury is the same as with Allen. Both are valuable goalies but the flat cap makes it extra hard to trade them. I don't think Vegas can find a team ready to pay to spend 7m on a goalie right now and as mentioned above Fleury can veto those trades. Maybe the other solution would be for VGK to trade him for scraps to OTT/DET/CBJ who could retain 50 per cent and then flip it to a contender like TOR for more value if Fleury feels like his time in VGK is over and still wants to go for a cup run :) because getting 2 years of Fleury at 3.5m is a great deal for any contnder, while the cap makes it almost impossible to trade for him at 7m. A three way trade could also make sure for VGK that he ends up East.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018

Not everybody can get Markstrom.
Not everybody is gonna be keen on paying Pittsburgh a good asset so they can allot Murray an expensive, long term contract.
Nobody is gonna wanna give Holtby whatever long-term monstrosity he's due instead of taking Fleury off of Vegas' hand for free while he has just two more years at $7m.

There are a lot of teams that need goalies this year (as usual) and the crop is thin (as usual). If Fleury is available at a reduced cap hit, he will be one of the most coveted.

Last edited:

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
This deal is a no-go.
Vegas can get a far, far less burdensome return on a MAF cap dump.
And even if PIT had the inclination to get Fleury back, they don't have the cap space to pay Jarry's tandem partner the money of an established starter.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Fleury makes 7.0 for 2 more years. Bjugstad makes 4.1 for one more year and Jack Johnson makes 3.25 for 3.

This trade benefits Vegas because they can lose Fleury, and buyout Bjugstad for for 2 years @ 1.75 (cap hit of 600,000k and 1.75 in those two years respectively). This gives them an extra 3.15 million of cap space at a cost of 1.75 million dollars in 2021. Then an extra 2 million in cap space at a cost of 1.75 million in 2022). It also dumps Fleury's contract with no salary retention to go for signing Robin Lehner. Jack Johnson likely benefits more from a slower, more physical western conference style game.

This trade Benefits the Penguins because it gets rid of JJ, and saves a small amount of cap space (325,000) and a decent chunk of salary (Bjugstad gets paid more than his cap hit, 5 million, while Fleury will get paid 6.5 million next season and 6 mill the season after that). Allows Fleury to retire a Penguin being the 1B to Jarry.

For the record, I don't think I'd actually want to do this trade as a Pens fan. I also don't think Vegas fans would want to do it either. But I'm curious what the opinions of the rest of HF think about it. I think it would benefit both teams, but I'm prepared to be told I'm wrong about this.

Right because Vancouver and Edmonton are such slow western conference teams.....in their divisiom

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
As much as I would absolute love a homecoming for MAF, why would Vegas take these two atrocious contracts and players? Taking these contracts back does nothing to help them free up the money to sign Lehner.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
As much as I would absolute love a homecoming for MAF, why would Vegas take these two atrocious contracts and players? Taking these contracts back does nothing to help them free up the money to sign Lehner.

The bolded makes me as angry as I'm sure the OP proposal makes Vegas fans angry.

Reactions: molon labe

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Probably a better way to move Bjugstad's money around. His rehab could hit a snag. Johnson is what he is and only makes a little over 2m in his 3rd year.

Better to move MAF to a team that could use him and retain for a little something.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

Not sure why everyone thinks Bjugstad with 1 year left is a horrible contract. Maybe this is the year he stays healthy and gets close to that 50 pt(20g 30 a) season a few years back. It was in 2018 so its not too far fetched. Hes been hurt both years we had him. Even if he doesnt play in an offensive role to be able to put up 50 pts, as long as he suits up he will have value. And thats on the Pens. There are other teams in the league that could put him in their top 6 where he could repeat his 2018 performance.

Vincent Trochek says he belongs in the top 6. Maybe the Canes should trade for him

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Bjugstad would be serviceable or a good flip to a team for a 3rd or 4th.

JJ could be bought out.

What's the buyout structure look like for MAF vs JJ?

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Besides Hornqvist, Daley, and Schultz the entire 16 pens was already there in the system. Rutherford didnt really build anything at all

His team made the playoffs like 3 times in his 15 year span managing the Canes.

Rutherford has cups with two different teams. He has certainly made some strange moves, but he definitely deserves some credit. Pittsburgh looked like they were headed the wrong direction until he made some key moves and they won another cup.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Probably a better way to move Bjugstad's money around. His rehab could hit a snag. Johnson is what he is and only makes a little over 2m in his 3rd year.

Better to move MAF to a team that could use him and retain for a little something.

See?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad