VGK picking 17th overall in 2019 Entry Draft

razor ray

May 8, 2011
If Spencer Knight is still available late in the first round trade up....it makes too much sense.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
17th we could look at Broberg, Soderstrom, York, Seider to keep the defensive pipeline strong.

If we can get a late 1st or early 2nd hopefully Tomasino or Knight or the other Suzuki, maybe Vlasic are still around.

Maybe at 48 Samuel Fagemo might still be on the board.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Combine this week. Chance to talk to prospects, pick their brains, push them mentally/psychologically, and see how they perform physical tasks/challenges.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I wouldn't want to waste #17 on Suzuki. There's better options even if every team above them doesn't make an off the wall pick which won't happen.

Reactions: derriko

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I think Seider could be a good pick. Maybe him and Hague (and possible Vlasic) could put twin (or triple) towers on defense.

Last edited:

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
If Spencer Knight is still available late in the first round trade up....it makes too much sense.

Noooooooooooooooo. Unless you are a MAF, or Price type of prospect, I think that's a terrible idea. Highest I would take a goalie outside of those select few every 10 years or so would be in the 2nd. Great goalies come in the league every year as past 6th / 7th round picks and do well. Its a toal crap shoot.

I think Seider could be a good pick. Maybe him and Hague (and possible Vlasic) could put twin (or triple) towers on defense.

Seider is my pick too. Big, mobile two way guy who looks like he can do it all. That would be a killer top 4 in a couple of years if Hague and Seider come close to their projections.

Schmidt-Seider
Hague-Theodore
McNabb

or any combination thereof.

I'm drooling...

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Noooooooooooooooo. Unless you are a MAF, or Price type of prospect, I think that's a terrible idea. Highest I would take a goalie outside of those select few every 10 years or so would be in the 2nd. Great goalies come in the league every year as past 6th / 7th round picks and do well. Its a toal crap shoot.

Seider is my pick too. Big, mobile two way guy who looks like he can do it all. That would be a killer top 4 in a couple of years if Hague and Seider come close to their projections.

Schmidt-Seider
Hague-Theodore
McNabb

or any combination thereof.

I'm drooling...

I think my ideal scenario (probably not likely) would be getting a late first in a Miller package and somehow if Tomasino slides picking up Seider, Tomasino and if Fagemo is still around at 48.

The Knight thing is more of a joke because of his name. I'm hoping Ferguson or Kooy can step into MAF crease in a few seasons.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Any other draft year I'd agree but I'm not nearly as sold on the defensemen that will be outside the top 15 as I am everyone else, and if projections are correct I'm also not totally thrilled with the forwards that will be there. I've been keeping closer tabs on this draft class than any since 2012 since with the disaster that was Carlyle this year meant Anaheim could draft anywhere from 10 to 1. I don't think that means I'm an expert but I'd at least like to think I have a stronger opinion about this year than any year since 2012.

I'm completely under the moon in regards to the prospects of drafting forwards like Kaliyev, Lavoie, Suzuki, etc. Broberg, Soderstrom, and especially Seider don't really strike me as much more than future second pair defensemen. Seider in particular makes me nervous given that all his hype has come from recent performance. The best defensive prospects of the last 7 or so drafts have been guys that have maintained high draft stocks their whole draft year with the exception of guys like Lindholm and Slavin. But even with a guy like Slavin it was not expected by many that he'd be as good as he is.

Usually I'm not in favor of taking a chance on goalies in the first round either. But I'm also someone who is completely underwhelmed by our crop of goalie prospects. But I'm also of the mind that lately, one of the biggest concerns for successful teams or teams aiming to be successful is acquiring a strong player between the pipes. St. Louis is in the finals in large part because of how good Binnington has become (and that's after years of trying to find a good goalie since Jake Allen just couldn't quite cut it). Philadelphia is well documented as trying hard to figure out their own goalie situation. If Anaheim has any hope of transitioning their prospects to success again, it will be because they have John Gibson. Dallas would not have gotten to where they got without Bishop. And we would not have made the Finals in year 1 if not for Fleury. And Fleury won't be that good for that much longer. In fact, I have doubts he will be good for the entirety of what's left of his contract. And Subban just doesn't inspire confidence that he can be the guy to step into his slot and consistently win us games.

As far as I can remember, Spencer Knight is the most highly touted goaltending prospect since John Gibson and if any prospect was going to appear to be less of a crapshoot at this position, it's him.

I don't think we're overly deep at any position in the pipeline but I do feel we're weakest in net. At defense we have a number of solid players to add to a strong backbone of Schmidt and Theodore including Hague, Schuldt, Bischoff, and Whitecloud. With forwards we have a pretty set forward core locked up under contract that will eventually feature Cody Glass and I just don't feel confident about the forwards that will probably be available to us. I can't say the same about any of our current goalie prospects short of any of them suddenly revealing immense talent that hasn't been displayed yet.

I started out my saying we should draft Knight as something of a joke in my frustration with Subban. But the more I've thought about it the more I'd be okay with taking the chance on a goalie just this once. Reaching into rounds 4-7 to try to hopefully find a starter is even more of a crapshoot as quick firing on the best guy available. Avoiding Knight means we have to rely on Subban to try to play the level of hockey that is required of any team aiming to be a consistent threat. I just don't believe he has it in him, and if I'm right that means we have to hope that in the next 2-3 years one of Dansk, Ferguson, or whoever else can step up and be the guy or seek a replacement out in the FA or trade market which I don't think we'll have the cap space for. Most prominent goalies today are home grow. And of course with Knight it could be 4 years before he's ready to dominate, but at least the potential is there for him to be the team's starter if all goes well with his development.

So just this once, while not forgetting that drafting and developing goalies is a crapshoot, this kid to me appears to be much less of a gamble than goalies of years past. Just this once I'd be in favor of the gamble.
Pronman's Mock Draft 1.0: Projecting the first round of the...

Paywall. Pronman speculates that VGK will pick Alex Newhook at 17

Well that I could get excited for in spite of what I said above.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Also to add, scouting has changed so much that there will likely never be a goalie prospect again that gets ranked in the top 3 to say they're a "Fleury or Price level prospect".

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Also to add, scouting has changed so much that there will likely never be a goalie prospect again that gets ranked in the top 3 to say they're a "Fleury or Price level prospect".

How could you not be excited at the idea of adding a RHD Hague to the pipeline? I dont think I would mind picking Knight in the 1st if we got a pick in addition to the 17th but even then if Tomasino or McMichael were available at C then I might rather pick them. You dont really need a great goalie to win a Cup, just a very good one and goalies now seem to vacillate between being very good and kind of bad season to season.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
How could you not be excited at the idea of adding a RHD Hague to the pipeline? I dont think I would mind picking Knight in the 1st if we got a pick in addition to the 17th but even then if Tomasino or McMichael were available at C then I might rather pick them. You dont really need a great goalie to win a Cup, just a very good one and goalies now seem to vacillate between being very good and kind of bad season to season.
And mark me down as someone who has no confidence that any of our goalie prospects have it in them to be very good in the NHL.

Our forward core for the future appears to be some variation of this

Pacioretty-Glass-Stone
Tuch-Karlsson/?-Marchesseault
Maybe Gusev's in there as well. That's a set forward core good for five seasons. Does that mean we should shy away from Tomasino? Not necessarily but I think he's a low boom/decent bust potential prospect.

Our defense core seems pretty fairly established for the foreseeable future as well with

Schmidt-Theodore
Hague-Schuldt
McNabb-Bischoff/Whitecloud.

I look at our crop of goalies starting from Subban to Ferguson, Kooy, Lagace, Patera, and Fucale I see a lot of guys who could be good backups at best.

It's my opinion that while Fleury can still handle starting duties, now is the best time to try to invest in a goaltending prospect with some real potential even if meeting that potential is in question. As in, if we don't draft Knight this year, then there's really no use bothering pinning our hopes to replace Fleury out of the draft in the next few years worth of drafts. Which isn't to say we shouldn't take goalies in the lower rounds, but it would probably mean we'd have to start looking to trade for or sign a goalie by the time Flower's contract is up.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
And mark me down as someone who has no confidence that any of our goalie prospects have it in them to be very good in the NHL.

Our forward core for the future appears to be some variation of this

Pacioretty-Glass-Stone
Tuch-Karlsson/?-Marchesseault
Maybe Gusev's in there as well. That's a set forward core good for five seasons. Does that mean we should shy away from Tomasino? Not necessarily but I think he's a low boom/decent bust potential prospect.

Our defense core seems pretty fairly established for the foreseeable future as well with

Schmidt-Theodore
Hague-Schuldt
McNabb-Bischoff/Whitecloud.

I look at our crop of goalies starting from Subban to Ferguson, Kooy, Lagace, Patera, and Fucale I see a lot of guys who could be good backups at best.

It's my opinion that while Fleury can still handle starting duties, now is the best time to try to invest in a goaltending prospect with some real potential even if meeting that potential is in question. As in, if we don't draft Knight this year, then there's really no use bothering pinning our hopes to replace Fleury out of the draft in the next few years worth of drafts. Which isn't to say we shouldn't take goalies in the lower rounds, but it would probably mean we'd have to start looking to trade for or sign a goalie by the time Flower's contract is up.

I would say Ferguson has shown flashes and both he and Kooy are so young it's hard to tell. Goalies are really a crap shoot.

Jordan Binnington was the fourth goalie on the Blues depth chart and hes one win away from a Cup and a Smythe. Murray came out of nowhere twice to do something similar.

Rask and Price were drafted high and have come good but Rask was the backup for a journeyman Thomas (who didn't show starter capability until 32 and elite goaltending until 33) to lead the Bruins to a Cup.

I understand the thought and would not kick up a fuss but goalies are a tough sell.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I'm completely under the moon in regards to the prospects of drafting forwards like Kaliyev, Lavoie, Suzuki, etc. Broberg, Soderstrom, and especially Seider don't really strike me as much more than future second pair defensemen. Seider in particular makes me nervous given that all his hype has come from recent performance. The best defensive prospects of the last 7 or so drafts have been guys that have maintained high draft stocks their whole draft year with the exception of guys like Lindholm and Slavin. But even with a guy like Slavin it was not expected by many that he'd be as good as he is.
Suzuki I'm pretty down on too, but the others I feel are okay picks at 17. And if Broberg or Söderström are available at 17, which I very much doubt they will, then 100% pick one of them.

Söderström for me is as sure-fire of a top-4 dman as Brodin was. Really only downside I can think of is the foot problems he has had during the previous season. As for Broberg he's very raw right now which might turn some off, but given what I've seen I wouldn't be surprised if he turns into essentially a bigger Josi type of player.

Seider is interesting, the hype for him started some time ago, but since he plays in the DEL it really only started to bloom from international showings this past season. No idea what to make of him because I don't watch DEL, but I think he has a stronger showing at Worlds than Quinn Hughes when he played at Worlds during his draft season.

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
HI! I'm a Canadiens fan and I'm asking other teams fans what are the first need you have to adress with your first pick. The Canadiens needs to find a winger (powerforward or goal scorer) and secondly, a top4 D. Cheers!

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Suzuki I'm pretty down on too, but the others I feel are okay picks at 17. And if Broberg or Söderström are available at 17, which I very much doubt they will, then 100% pick one of them.

Söderström for me is as sure-fire of a top-4 dman as Brodin was. Really only downside I can think of is the foot problems he has had during the previous season. As for Broberg he's very raw right now which might turn some off, but given what I've seen I wouldn't be surprised if he turns into essentially a bigger Josi type of player.

Seider is interesting, the hype for him started some time ago, but since he plays in the DEL it really only started to bloom from international showings this past season. No idea what to make of him because I don't watch DEL, but I think he has a stronger showing at Worlds than Quinn Hughes when he played at Worlds during his draft season.

Soderstrom and Seider I can get behind, Broberg I am more hesitant about based from all the things I've seen people say about him I would rather go with a safe pick seeing as we didn't have our 1st last season.

Suzuki I also think could fall into the 2nd round and if we were going for a forward at that spot I would think there would be other players available.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
With the roster as it is and picking mid-round I would rather trade down a bit and try to take advantage of someone else falling in love with a prospect. There won't be any sure things at #17, better to get a mid to late 20s and additional pick(s) later to increase your chances of finding someone who can contribute. Whoever it is probably is going to be stashed 2-3 years so can pick for someone raw with some growth to come.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
With the roster as it is and picking mid-round I would rather trade down a bit and try to take advantage of someone else falling in love with a prospect. There won't be any sure things at #17, better to get a mid to late 20s and additional pick(s) later to increase your chances of finding someone who can contribute. Whoever it is probably is going to be stashed 2-3 years so can pick for someone raw with some growth to come.

We have 5 picks in the top 90, and that's before moving out a roster player or two.

There's around 18 consensus top players expected to go in the 1st, so unless 5 or so players fall 17 is a good spot to be in. Unless you want to chance it with guys like Leason and Suzuki, or try to get a 2020 pick.

They're also in a decent position to trade up to 11th, if a player unexpectedly falls out of the top 10 (which there's a good chance of happening).

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
We have 5 picks in the top 90, and that's before moving out a roster player or two.

There's around 18 consensus top players expected to go in the 1st, so unless 5 or so players fall 17 is a good spot to be in. Unless you want to chance it with guys like Leason and Suzuki, or try to get a 2020 pick.

They're also in a decent position to trade up to 11th, if a player unexpectedly falls out of the top 10 (which there's a good chance of happening).

Is that the Flyers? Would they take Miller or Eakin to move down six picks and add something extra?

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Is that the Flyers? Would they take Miller or Eakin to move down six picks and add something extra?

Yes. They really don’t need more prospects. They will be looking for a player with that pick.

They could trade with us and pick up a roster player then trade the 17th pick for another player.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
I keep hearing Philly wants an impact player with term to move that 11th pick. How about Pacioretty for that pick?

We could replace Patches with Gusev, clear 7 million in Cap, and replace Suzuki and Brannstrom with the 11th and 17th picks, stocking up the farm.

But you know Philly will probably demand Marchy instead which would be a no go. That’s the problem with the situation we are in: we are probably going to be forced to trade a player with a good contract like Marchy cause we got no leverage.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I keep hearing Philly wants an impact player with term to move that 11th pick. How about Pacioretty for that pick?

We could replace Patches with Gusev, clear 7 million in Cap, and replace Suzuki and Brannstrom with the 11th and 17th picks, stocking up the farm.

But you know Philly will probably demand Marchy instead which would be a no go. That’s the problem with the situation we are in: we are probably going to be forced to trade a player with a good contract like Marchy cause we got no leverage.

He could definitely help them and they could easily afford him. I think his contract lines up with their star players window. They might have the upper hand in those negotiations and might be able to keep the 11th and trade less valuable pieces but I think we should try to be all over this. GM's seem to love Pacioretty and if we didn't have Stone (and Smith and Marchessault and Tuch and Haula and Gusev) we wouldn't even consider it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad