PTO: [VGK] F Max Comtois signs PTO with the Golden Knights (released)

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Kid looked like a stud at 19. Not a bad gamble for Vegas. A few of these kids have the stink on them from the WJC.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I thought he was supposed to be a hard nosed power forward coming out of the Q but he didn’t seem to have the testicles to play that role.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
If you watched him play over the past couple years, not really. He wasn't good enough to crack the lineup of the worst team in the league last year
Debatable. He fell out of favor with Eakins, but at times he was more useful than other Duck wingers.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Seemed like his trajectory was pretty good ages 18-21 but I don't know what happened the last couple years.

Looks like the type of player who always gets another chance until proven that a change of scenery does nothing.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Wild he's only getting a PTO.

It would have been wild based on how he was tracking from 2017-18 through 2020-21, but the last two seasons have been a massive letdown. He looks to be unmotivated, out of shape and hasn't consistently contributed in any way. The Ducks were frequently scratching him in favor of AHL guys and made it clear it was due to MC's effort.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Meh. Normally I'm all about departing Ducks players landing in Vegas but I don't have much faith that he'll earn a spot. With the departure of Smith, Cotter and Dorofeyev will be fighting for more depth to second line scoring opportunities. If they're imagining him as a bottom 6 grinder with occasional depth scoring production...Amadio Carrier and Howden may not be the most talented NHL studs but you certainly can't question their compete, and that's been an issue with Comtois.

No harm in this for Vegas but I mean. I don't like Max's chances.

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
2 years ago I had him in my fantasy team briefly in a not-deep league. Genuinely odd that he's now just on a PTO. Wish it was the Flames. Good pickup by Vegas

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
He's better than anyone on the Ducks bottom 6, he definitely regressed last year but alot could have been attributed to his feud with Eakins
Horseshit and you know it, he's certainly not better than any of Jones, Strome, Silfverberg, McGinn, and if Carlsson starts in the bottom 6, not him either. He may be a better NHLer than Groulx I guess

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Meh. Normally I'm all about departing Ducks players landing in Vegas but I don't have much faith that he'll earn a spot. With the departure of Smith, Cotter and Dorofeyev will be fighting for more depth to second line scoring opportunities. If they're imagining him as a bottom 6 grinder with occasional depth scoring production...Amadio Carrier and Howden may not be the most talented NHL studs but you certainly can't question their compete, and that's been an issue with Comtois.

No harm in this for Vegas but I mean. I don't like Max's chances.

Cotter will very likely only see second line play with injuries.

His 20% shooting percentage early in the year helped his goal numbers but beyond that he did nothing, and when the shooting percentage evened out he wasn't getting any goals either.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Maybe the fact that he has to take a PTO will light a fire under his ass.

Thoroughly uninspiring last year. I thought his performance the year before was mostly because he was nursing an injury, but he phoned it in this year too.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Horseshit and you know it, he's certainly not better than any of Jones, Strome, Silfverberg, McGinn, and if Carlsson starts in the bottom 6, not him either. He may be a better NHLer than Groulx I guess
Which version of Silfverberg? The first half slug, or the second half one that decided to be a hockey player?

Jones is also inconsistent, but gets a free pass from Ducks fans because he is a likeable guy.

Strome sure, he is just overpaid.

Carlsson should be in the top 6 or getting development time in Sweden/AHL.

McGinn is kind of invisible, but we’ll see once he plays a full season with the Ducks.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Not sure anyone should be surprised either way on this one. If he lands a deal OR if he’s one of their first cuts.

They’ve found something with Howden (who’s working out great) and maybe they see something similar here too. If he commits himself to being a really good bottom six player, and stops worrying about being the player he was supposed to be, he can make NHL money over the next 7-8 years. He has to make that choice though. He’s certainly talented enough to do it, but the days of teams giving him an opportunity to land a scoring role are over.

It’s this or a European career.. he probably doesn’t get another chance after this.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I'm not sure what happened to MC in Anaheim. He looked great in his first full year then regressed hard the next 2. I'm afraid he's a guy who felt he deserved top minutes but Eakins seemed like a guy who awarded those minutes to guys who worked the hardest and not necessarily who had the most skill. At then end of the day he had 19 pts in 65 games which isn't great but equal to Jones and McGinn who have more to offer away from the puck. I wouldn't be surprised if he's fed offensive minutes if he got a contract and put up 40-50 points.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I think its a good no risk high reward move by Vegas.

Comtois does have a nice complimentary skill set for a top 6 player.... not sure exactly what changed in Anaheim.... but he just seemed lazy at times.

Reactions: DavidBL

Bottle Rocket

Jul 23, 2023
Is it a surprise, really? No GM was willing to give him a guaranteed contract since he was let go by his original employer. GMs and their staff do this for a living. He must be pretty bad.

Still, no risk for Vegas. Sometimes trash turns into valuables, you never know.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Which version of Silfverberg? The first half slug, or the second half one that decided to be a hockey player?

Jones is also inconsistent, but gets a free pass from Ducks fans because he is a likeable guy.

Strome sure, he is just overpaid.

Carlsson should be in the top 6 or getting development time in Sweden/AHL.

McGinn is kind of invisible, but we’ll see once he plays a full season with the Ducks.
Saved me some time also judging from last year Jones will probably be on top 6 so add Leason. Is Leason also better than Comtois? @MMC

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Is it a surprise, really? No GM was willing to give him a guaranteed contract since he was let go by his original employer. GMs and their staff do this for a living. He must be pretty bad.

Still, no risk for Vegas. Sometimes trash turns into valuables, you never know.
He’s in that place every player who hasn’t reached draft expectations gets to. Nobody is giving him a contract to play in the top 6, or to even be a 3rd liner with some secondary scoring ability.

He now has to make that choice, to no longer play with those same expectations of himself. Just go to camp and concentrate on forechecking, winning battles down low, being responsible defensively, and playing hard while he does those things. He has the build and the skills to do that. If he does, he’ll get a contract in Vegas, or even somewhere else, but if he’s doing all those things well and suddenly starts cutting inside, when those offensive traits take over, and gets caught, or turns the puck over, they’ll cut him and he will need to find a job in Europe.

That’s always the issue. Too many guys in his situation always revert back to, trying to be the player they were.

He should call Danny Cleary. He can have that career still… But needs to accept that’s all he’ll ever be.

Reactions: biturbo19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad