Vezina Candidates Playoff Failures

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Soon-to-be-2-time-Vezina-winner Bobrovsky:

95d4e0a4913fd1fca7efd9a5761b66e5.png

Seriously though: how does he fall off a cliff come playoff time EVERY SINGLE TIME? He's such a good goaltender all year long... I understand he played against the Penguins, but still...

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
Because he's a lazy Russian. What'd you expect.

I understand Vezina reflects the regular season, but people should take in consideration how one plays during the playoffs too. He deserves the nomination for his regular season, but does not deserve a 2nd Vezina win following his yet-another post-season collapse...

Random Oracle

Aug 3, 2005
I understand Vezina reflects the regular season, but people should take in consideration how one plays during the playoffs too. He deserves the nomination for his regular season, but does not deserve a 2nd Vezina win following his yet-another post-season collapse...

The voting was done before the playoffs started.

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
The voting was done before the playoffs started.

I know, but that's what I'm saying. I feel like it should be done after the whole thing is over. Playoff games is where the magic happens. Could be the team was swept in the 1st round but the goalie was out-of-this-world good (and deserves to win). But in the case of someone like Bobrovsky... That playoff performance should be enough for him to lose the Vezina. Someone like Pekka Rinne stepped up where it mattered most.

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow

Not at all. Regular season awards reward excellence over a big sample size - and Bobrovsky has twice (or 1,5 if you don't think shortened seasons are equal to proper full seasons) shown that he can be the best at it. The reward for being the best during a short sample size of NHL playoffs is winning the Stanley cup itself - and a Conn Smythe if your contribution to that win is truly significant.

Besides, all this narrative about Bobrovsky being bad at playoffs doesn't hold up. He didn't turn into a pumpkin with the beginning of playoffs - his slump started before it; and he had excellent SV% in a similar environment of best-on-best international hockey. If anything, it speaks about how important he is to CBJ (and about quality of that CBJ team) because they collapse the second Bobrovsky collapses.

Atren

Jun 29, 2011
Europe
Soon-to-be-2-time-Vezina-winner Bobrovsky:

95d4e0a4913fd1fca7efd9a5761b66e5.png

Seriously though: how does he fall off a cliff come playoff time EVERY SINGLE TIME? He's such a good goaltender all year long... I understand he played against the Penguins, but still...

One thing to note here is that 2/3rd of his games in playoffs (all games from 2011-2012 playoffs onwards) been against Penguins. So perhaps problem is more specifically Penguins. Would want to see him play against some other team in playoffs.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Dubnyk, Holtby, Bobrosvky.

Dubnyk barely holding on to average. He's been slipping. BYE
Holtby way below average and looks lost in net. 2/4
Bob is invisible and sub .900. BYE
Price BYE

What happened?

Price was the best player on his team and had no support. Holtby has to be injured. He's playing way too poorly not to be.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Remember how everyone said "Lundqvist is done, he's too old!" last playoffs? Well, maybe it isn't easy to face the best offensive team in the league - by far - with a clown defense in front of you.

It's not even easy facing them with a good defense.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Price played fine, even though I thought he let in a few goals he should have stopped, same way I felt about Martin Jones. If Price sustained that level of play over 4 rounds and won a cup, he could have been the Conn Smythe. Dubnyk wasn't bad, better than previous years in the playoffs. I thought he sucked in the previous two playoffs.

Holtby was pretty consistently amazing in the playoffs from year to year, despite always going out by round 2. He's been average in these playoffs though.

Bob was frickin abysmal, but I wouldn't be surprised if he had a similar 5 game stretch of poor play like that during the regular season this past year. It just wasn't magnified because it wasn't the playoffs.

Arturs Irbe

Not The Real Arturs
Jan 22, 2017
Price played fine, even though I thought he let in a few goals he should have stopped, same way I felt about Martin Jones. If Price sustained that level of play over 4 rounds and won a cup, he could have been the Conn Smythe. Dubnyk wasn't bad, better than previous years in the playoffs. I thought he sucked in the previous two playoffs.

Holtby was pretty consistently amazing in the playoffs from year to year, despite always going out by round 2. He's been average in these playoffs though.

Bob was frickin abysmal, but I wouldn't be surprised if he had a similar 5 game stretch of poor play like that during the regular season this past year. It just wasn't magnified because it wasn't the playoffs.

Bobrovsky has been consistently terrible when it counts. The anti-Justin Williams.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Bobrovsky has been consistently terrible when it counts. The anti-Justin Williams.

His start to last season was on par with the 5 games this year in the playoffs.

He was really bad in October of 2015, before the coaching change and still for a little bit after Torts took over.

I remember wanting to smash things after he allowed a couple of bad goals in the first game (maybe it was the second game of the season) of the season in the final 2 minutes of the game. He allowed 3 goals in 2 minutes when his team was up by one goal with 2 or 3 minutes left in regulation. And his poor play seemed to spiral from there for about a month.

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
If you include the 2016 finalists (Holtby, Bishop, Quick), you'll note that 66% of all of them faltered against the same team.

Although the goalie has a disproportionate impact on a team's success, let's not forget that hockey is a team game, and when one team has a ridiculously prolific offense (currently averaging more than a goal-per-game more than the next-prolific offense), it's going to very difficult for any goalie to escape a series with it with respectable numbers.

radicalcenter

Feb 10, 2013

he did

From January 24th to February 9th.

He allowed 21 goals in 6 games, lost 5 of them and his save % were

He also lost his 4 last games of the season, allowing 13 goals. Over those 4 games his save % was .875.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Price wasn't bad. Was actually quite good. Shouldn't be lumped in with others imo

But yeah Holtby and Bob are bad
Not sure how much it's on them vs on Pittsburgh

Arturs Irbe

Not The Real Arturs
Jan 22, 2017
All 4 goalies are OUT.

Resurgent Fleury and playoff hero Murray are in.
Inconsistent Anderson is in. Man he's hit or miss on a big time level.
Pekka "I went back in time 5 years" Rinne is alive and kicking.

The times we live in....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad