Proposal: Veterans to Columbus

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
I've been thinking about this since the Jones trade, and I am wondering if it would be wise (or likely) that the jackets will bring in a veteran or two to tutor the young players that will be the core of this team moving forward. Both the D (Jones, Murray, Werenski, Carlsson, Paliotta, and Heatherington) and the Forwards (Wennberg, Karlsson, Rychel, Bjorkstrand, Milano, and our 2016 1st) could use someone to look up to IMO, but I don't know if we will be able to do it given our cap issues.

Personally, I would love to bring in Jagr for the forwards, and on the back end I think a guy like Francois Beauchemin (cap is pretty high) or say Willie Mitchell could be a big stabilizing presence for the D.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I understand where you're going here. Jagr could mentor young forwards like he did with Voracek.

With the exception of bringing back Letestu, I'd actually like to see us clear out some old wood and re-sign the young guys we already have. See what we've really got and add a piece once it's apparent where the needs are.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
No veterans imo. I'll rely on Dubi & Foligno & Johnson to provide vet leadership. We can't afford the cap hit and Jagr isn't coming-he is playing great. To me its wait for the youth to develop and pray Bob stays in one piece long enough for Korpi to get some more experience.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
No veterans imo. I'll rely on Dubi & Foligno & Johnson to provide vet leadership. We can't afford the cap hit and Jagr isn't coming-he is playing great. To me its wait for the youth to develop and pray Bob stays in one piece long enough for Korpi to get some more experience.

Makes sense, I'm mostly worried about the D. Learning to play as a responsible NHL D-man with Jack Johnson as your best example is exactly the best scenario. I am less worried about Jones as he has been taught by Weber for the last few years, and it seems Murray is really taking off now that he doesn't have to hold himself back. Also, if there is one thing Torts system is effective at it is developing good D.

cbjfaninmo

4 those about 2 rock
Mar 17, 2012
Lake of the Ozarks, MO

Agree. With Dubi, Foligno and Johnson we need to continue to develop the young core, add to it, and see what we have.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
Good teams get vets on cheap 35+ contracts for 1-2 years. They don't want to play for a loser. If we win, we'll start to see these sorts of vets that we've seemingly been lacking.

Peca and Aucoin are the two that come to mind that came to us under these circumstances.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Once guys like Wennberg, Saad, Jenner, Murray, Jones(the core) are in their prime, guys like Dubi, JJ, Foligno, Calvert, Atkinson(if hes still here) will be able to act as the "vets" and provide leadership

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
Dubi, JJ, Foligno, and for the time being Hartsy and Tyuts. Are these guys not veteran enough for you?

Not Really. Foligno and Dubinsky are good leaders, but lack experience in the playoffs and haven't even sniffed a ring. Hartnell could be, but as you alluded to he is on his way out. JJ is a good #3 but in terms of teaching young guys how to play technically as well as how to be a pro he is lacking. As far a Tyutin goes I have wanted to trade him for years and don't think he brings value as a player or mentor in any way, plus he is likely out at the trade deadline as well.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
With the cap space available it's just not going to happen unless it's cheap older guys like Nick Schultz. If the club was very inclined to add mentorship they wouldn't be considering moving Hartnell. I think they'll keep their eyes out for deals but no marquee vets like Jagr or Iginla.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I've been thinking about this since the Jones trade, and I am wondering if it would be wise (or likely) that the jackets will bring in a veteran or two to tutor the young players that will be the core of this team moving forward. Both the D (Jones, Murray, Werenski, Carlsson, Paliotta, and Heatherington) and the Forwards (Wennberg, Karlsson, Rychel, Bjorkstrand, Milano, and our 2016 1st) could use someone to look up to IMO, but I don't know if we will be able to do it given our cap issues.

Personally, I would love to bring in Jagr for the forwards, and on the back end I think a guy like Francois Beauchemin (cap is pretty high) or say Willie Mitchell could be a big stabilizing presence for the D.

We have enough already.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
As for vets helping our young guys... Hartsy has been there ad helped a lot with dano pre trade and wennberg. and im sure hes helped others too. Foligno and Dubi will be the guys going forward if he ends up getting traded. Johnson on the backend as well can help the young guys. Something that to me helps alot is Saad comes from CHI and won 2 cups really young with toews and hossa and kane and knows what it takes and Jones learned under weber I dont know if suter was there a year with him or not. But our 2 young guys that will be leaders moving forward learned from the best so they can take that and also help other young guys. If we can rid ourselves of toots maybe we sign a vet looking to hang around to a 1 year deal to be our 6-7 with a understanding of he we want you to helps us win and help thesse kids grow. There is no way I would want to bring in a vet to be ahead of jj/savard/jones/murray/werenski though. a partner for werenski to do teach him id be ok with but only a 1 year cheap deal.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
If you could sign the right veterans to the right deal, then sure I'm all for it (think of Dineen in the beginning). But not if we have to give up assets or give out big contracts - or if it's a decent sized contract a very short one.
But no way should we do what the old CBJ would do, add just enough veterans to be almost average. But I get having the right vets around to mentor the young guys.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
This FO doesn't really care about keeping/signing players over the age of 31/32, so the odds of this are extremely unlikely.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
I think it would be hard to find the vets that are driven enough and still want to play and win. I fear some of these guys would sign in Columbus as a last chance or a way to make money with little media exposure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad