Veteran players playing in their 1st playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
It does raise a good question

What is the criteria for being considered a vet?

It's pretty interesting as I suspect there will he several different answers.

Conceptually, if you aren't a rookie, you are a vet.

Definitionally, NHL says 30 games played in prior season, or 100 career games (for purpose of the rule that says that teams must start 8 veterans in preseason games)

Practically, people around here might figure it's someone of a certain age or with a number of seasons played

I think there is no right answer. Personally, if a guy has played 5 seasons, I think he's a vet . But that's just an arbitrary cutoff.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Eichel/McDavid are going into their 4th seasons next years and they still feel like kids to me, so veteran status is obtained sometime after that point, it is hereby decreed.

Reactions: ESH

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
It does raise a good question

What is the criteria for being considered a vet?

It's pretty interesting as I suspect there will he several different answers.
In terms of this thread? A combo of age and games played. Taylor Hall is a vet. Tyler Pitlick isn't. They're the same age but the games played are different. Riley Sheahan is a vet. MacKinnon isn't (IMO). They entered the league the same year but MacKinnon's age keeps him a non-vet.

I think 25 years old and at least 320 games played is a good measure. If you're mid-20s and have 4 full seasons worth of games, you're no longer a kid.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Laine might have 400+ games (RS+playoffs) around the time he turns 23. That would probably make him a veteran, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad