Very Early Prediction Time! Where Do You See The Canucks Finishing The Season?

Where do the Canucks finish the regular season?

• Total voters

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
LA and or Edmonton are going to fall back a bit. That leaves an opening for the Canucks to take atop 3 spot. The PK will be vastly improved. That's 10 more points right there. And our defence and structure should be greatly improved. The team is about to become elite.

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
If they got rid of Myers and replaced with him a legit top 4 defencemen - this team would be in the playoffs guaranteed.

The way it is now, they’re fighting for a WC spot just like every year - even with the new changes. Defensive depth may be the issue when inevitable injuries occur.

Reactions: David71

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
If they got rid of Myers and replaced with him a legit top 4 defencemen - this team would be in the playoffs guaranteed.

The way it is now, they’re fighting for a WC spot just like every year - even with the new changes. Defensive depth may be the issue when inevitable injuries occur.

I love the change we've made on defense but I think you're right we will inevitably hit a bit of a wall from a lack of defensive depth.

I think management has done what they can with the CAP and assets we have available to improve the team and so I still believe they've done a good job although I recognize this may take a bit more time.

Reactions: Tact

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
I love the change we've made on defense but I think you're right we will inevitably hit a bit of a wall from a lack of defensive depth.

I think management has done what they can with the CAP and assets we have available to improve the team and so I still believe they've done a good job although I recognize this may take a bit more time.
Yes it’s definitely treading in the right direction. But since we’re trying to compete and roughly have a 4 year window (Hughes contract) I’d prefer if they just pay the price like they did with Hronek and get another defender. Might as well just do it. That’s me the inpatient fan suffering through the Benning era - but I understand the patience and process that they’re doing.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
LA and or Edmonton are going to fall back a bit. That leaves an opening for the Canucks to take atop 3 spot. The PK will be vastly improved. That's 10 more points right there. And our defence and structure should be greatly improved. The team is about to become elite.

Kind of loses some of the bombasticness (bombasticity?) when you literally say this every year.

July 2022: "Podkolzin is going to make a huge impact on this team. The makings of an elite team are in place."
July 2021: "This team is on the verge of becoming elite. You can take that one to the bank."
August 2021: "Elite status, here we come."

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Kind of loses some of the bombasticness (bombasticity?) when you literally say this every year.

July 2022: "Podkolzin is going to make a huge impact on this team. The makings of an elite team are in place."
July 2021: "This team is on the verge of becoming elite. You can take that one to the bank."
August 2021: "Elite status, here we come."
Just to clarify, July 2021 and August 2021 are the same year. And I will triple down (third time's a charm)... I believe the pieces are there for an elite team. Anyways, they are just optimistic, trying to will the team forward, predictions. No worse than the same pessimistic predictions every year that the Canucks will just miss the play-offs.

Last edited:

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Just to clarify, July 2021 and August 2021 are the same year. And I will triple down (third time's a charm)... I believe the pieces are there for an elite team. Anyways, they are just optimistic, trying to will the team forward, predictions. No worse than the same pessimistic predictions every year that the Canucks will just miss the play-offs.
I mean, they are objectively worse predictions. The Canucks did, in fact, miss the playoffs in '21, '22, and '23, so the "pessimists" were correct.

The Canucks are a bubble/WC team. That's what they are. I hope they land on the right side of the line this season, and I think they've improved enough that it's likelier than not they do so, but they are not anywhere close to being an elite team.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

Uh, what? Thus far, yes they have been objectively worse predictions.

It's not optimism when you just automatically say that everything is going to be amazing and great and perfect without any type of rational thought. That's just a coping mechanism. Worse yet, even when you're right, you're still wrong.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
The most likely options, in my books, are Wild Card or Just Outside Looking In.
I went with Wild Card because I am in the optimistic phase of my yearly Canucks fandom.
That's if we stay relatively healthy... if not... Just Outside, or perhaps worse, depending upon how badly we're bitten by the injury bug.

Last edited:

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Uh, what? Thus far, yes they have been objectively worse predictions.

It's not optimism when you just automatically say that everything is going to be amazing and great and perfect without any type of rational thought. That's just a coping mechanism. Worse yet, even when you're right, you're still wrong.
I posited that the Canucks have important pieces like a Norris level defenceman, a Selke level 100 point plus C, and one of the best goalies in the league. Those are huge pieces that most teams don't have, and that you can build an elite team around. That sounds reasonably rational to me. I'll also add that the Canucks look to be a lot better structured under Tocchet, in that even our AHL level defencemen looked solid playing Tocchet's system. That is something that bodes well for his upcoming season, where we will have a healthy Hronek and Cole and Soucey coming on board. The PK should be vastly improved with addition of good pk personnel, and a healthy Mikheyev. There is easily enough there to be optimistic to predict a 100 plus point season from the team. From there you evolve into an elite team as the team matures even more.

Reactions: BluesyShoes

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I posited that the Canucks have important pieces like a Norris level defenceman, a Selke level 100 point plus C, and one of the best goalies in the league. Those are huge pieces that most teams don't have, and that you can build an elite team around. That sounds reasonably rational to me. I'll also add that the Canucks look to be a lot better structured under Tocchet, in that even our AHL level defencemen looked solid playing Tocchet's system. That is something that bodes well for his upcoming season, where we will have a healthy Hronek and Cole and Soucey coming on board. The PK should be vastly improved with addition of good pk personnel, and a healthy Mikheyev. There is easily enough there to be optimistic to predict a 100 plus point season from the team. From there you evolve into an elite team as the team matures even more.

I think “the team built around those guys” looks significantly better now than it did at the end of last season. In terms of defensive depth and depth down the middle, it looks a lot better.

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
“Honestly the end of the year was a step in the right direction, we started getting more structure within our team, having more of a plan going into the game, instead of going out there and, you know, trying to survive. Everybody had a plan and a spot they were supposed to be in, and a job that they were supposed to do. When we executed, we won.

When I first got here it was honestly shocking to see where the team was at, I wouldn’t have known that if I hadn’t played in Carolina. When you play on such a structured team and a team that is so detail oriented: there’s a plan on every single faceoff, every single play on the ice. When you come from that to where we [the Canucks] were at this year--oh my god. You got to just survive. You are just making hockey reads instead of playing a structure. It felt like an everyman for themselves kind of thing, and you can sense it. We didn’t really have that team camaraderie, that togetherness; it felt like everyone was a little lost. When you build that winning culture and that winning pedigree--it starts with coaching, yes, you get everyone on the same ship, but then it stems from the players. Doing every single thing right every single day, no matter how taxing, how boring, cliché, repetitive--that’s how to build that championship culture. The end of this last year was a step in that direction, and that’s why I am excited.” - Ethan Bear, former Canuck (lol)

Canucks Central Interview of Ethan Bear

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
i think people around here have watched the canucks too long and have forgotten what good nhl teams look like. canucks are a bottom 10 team again easy. every 5 man unit the canucks put out is going to be outclassed by most teams in the league. you can talk all you want about how they have an elite 1c, elite 2c, elite 1d and elite goalie but when mikheyev, cole, soucy, boeser or beauvillier is out there when the game is on the line you're not good enough

Reactions: VanillaCoke

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
They're a fringe team again, short of some unexpected breakout or something else breaking notably in their direction. Once again, a shuffling of depth pieces, but this time at least a lot of term and salary weren't invested, and the pro scouting looks more efficient.

I expect another top-15 draft pick next year, but haven't looked closely enough at the schedule since as we've seen strength (and structure) of schedule plays a huge role in regular season outcome.

Reactions: bossram

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Yes, the Canucks look better now, such that it probably is more likely than not they make the playoffs.

What you haven't actually addressed, and the point @RobertKron and I are making, is that the equivocations of your predictions of the Canucks being a playoff-calibre-to-elite team prior to this season are equally as bad as the "pessimistic" predictions are simply, objectively wrong.

The Canucks did miss the playoffs. The people that predicted they would miss were right. You were wrong. Can you not admit that?

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
i think people around here have watched the canucks too long and have forgotten what good nhl teams look like. canucks are a bottom 10 team again easy. every 5 man unit the canucks put out is going to be outclassed by most teams in the league. you can talk all you want about how they have an elite 1c, elite 2c, elite 1d and elite goalie but when mikheyev, cole, soucy, boeser or beauvillier is out there when the game is on the line you're not good enough
I guess it’s easier to go through life bitter and miserable and always thinking the worst will happen. Then you get pleasantly surprised when good things occur.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I guess it’s easier to go through life bitter and miserable and always thinking the worst will happen. Then you get pleasantly surprised when good things occur.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it. - George Bernard Shaw

Reactions: quat

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Think they're going to be another bubble team, but voted wild card because I don't think I can take another season without the playoffs.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
wildcard. theres alot of what ifs. need a better start to the first 10 games in october that would dictate their play the rest of the year. a healthy demko. silvos plays 50 percent of the games. the D improves their pk structure at least in the top 15. powerplay as well. boeser/garland bounceback hopefully. hronek and the new additions on D surprises. i.e hirose/wolanin petterson/miller/hughes taking a step foward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad