Vertical Jump Training

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Hi guys, I am a huge basketball guy and really am looking to be able to dunk soon. I am 6'3" and 165 pounds, in my teens, and am looking to take my game to the next level going into higher levels in high school. I currently have around a 21-27 (have never actually measured my jump so I am just estimating on where I can get on the rim) inch vertical off of one foot and a couple inches less than that off of two feet. Off of one foot I can get around 3 quarters of my finger above the rim, but am unable to touch off of two feet. I hope to start training soon and am wondering if any of you guys have some suggestions on what kind of exercises I should be working on to be able to improve, off of both one and two feet. Also, I can palm a basketball, but only when holding it on the grooves, so I think exercises for grip strength could be helpful as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Last edited:

iconoclast22

Mar 25, 2015
If you're really serious about improving your game, I recommend locating a strength/ conditioning coach who has had success with basketball players. Even if it's a trainer at your school. Coming to a hockey Internet forum ( or any Internet forum) you're going to run into all kinds of people with all kinds of exercise theory and advice, some of it good, and some of it no better than exercise voodoo. A lot of people think they're fitness experts but are really clueless (see 99% of YouTube fitness). Spare yourself the confusion and delays in progress- get a coach who has a proven track record with similar athletes.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
If you're really serious about improving your game, I recommend locating a strength/ conditioning coach who has had success with basketball players. Even if it's a trainer at your school. Coming to a hockey Internet forum ( or any Internet forum) you're going to run into all kinds of people with all kinds of exercise theory and advice, some of it good, and some of it no better than exercise voodoo. A lot of people think they're fitness experts but are really clueless (see 99% of YouTube fitness). Spare yourself the confusion and delays in progress- get a coach who has a proven track record with similar athletes.

Alright, I mean I knew I was going to get mixed opinions on this kind of thing just on a hockey forum, but I just felt like getting a general feel for what I would need to do to improve would be nice, but your suggestion is probably the best one. Obviously a bunch of people on the internet don't all know what is right, so finding someone who does with a track record to do so is probably going to be he way to go for me in the future. Thanks for he suggestion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad