Versatile Jokinen hopes to remain with Penguins|By Josh Yohe

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Serious question.

After Iggy CHOSE to come here to play with Crosby, and how he was treated, then following it up with a 30 goal season in Boston where he was properly used, why would any wing of quality in their right mind want to come to play with the Pens?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Yeah, but some people have been acting like it's a foregone conclusion to get certain players, it's not. You know? It's probably more assuming than dreaming.

I'm not assuming anything. I'm saying there are other options out there. Options that Shero has pursued in the past like Kule and Hemsky. And for the same price as Jokinen.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I'm not assuming anything. I'm saying there are other options out there. Options that Shero has pursued in the past like Kule and Hemsky. And for the same price as Jokinen.

I'm not saying you are, just that people have been. It wasn't an allusion to you doing it.

There are other options out there, but that doesn't mean that they come to the Pens.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
The main issue for me is the notion that what we currently have is good enough. It's not.

The Orpik money. The Fleury money. The Sutter money. That needs to be put to better use, starting this summer.

Indeed. If Fleury is anything short of great in the playoffs, that money is much better off being spent elsewhere.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I think the Olympics might have more to do with FA forwards perhaps thinking twice about signing here than Iggy's experience.

Having the captain of TEAM USA coming out and questioning his coach's decision making will lend to a lot of second guessing.

Regardless, this organization believes in what they believe in. Hemskey could have been had if Shero really wanted him, but he didn't, likely because he probably didn't fit in with what "we" do.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think the Olympics might have more to do with FA forwards perhaps thinking twice about signing here than Iggy's experience.

Having the captain of TEAM USA coming out and questioning his coach's decision making will lend to a lot of second guessing.

Regardless, this organization believes in what they believe in. Hemskey could have been had if Shero really wanted him, but he didn't, likely because he probably didn't fit in with what "we" do.

Exactly. Hemsky didn't go for some exorbitant price. If Shero really saw him as an answer, he could have sweetened the deal without giving up and big pieces. I don't really see Shero offering him a legit deal in free agency.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Serious question.

After Iggy CHOSE to come here to play with Crosby, and how he was treated, then following it up with a 30 goal season in Boston where he was properly used, why would any wing of quality in their right mind want to come to play with the Pens?

Wouldn't you just love to hear the spineless Pittsburgh media ask this question???

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
My take on it is, he should be signed if you're desperate.

Meaning he's better than the Kobasew's, D'Agostini's and Pyatt's of the hockey world.

I'd want Stempniak signed here before JJ.
He's more of value to a Pen's playoff roster than an aging JJ imo.
And we'd have Dupuis back and hopefully playing on the 3rd line.
Dupuis-Sutter-Stempniak is a nice 3rd line to have.

Also, you're crazy if you think players wouldn't want to sign here. Playoffs every year with a player friendly coach.

Last edited:

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
My take on it is, he should be signed if you're desperate.

Meaning he's better than the Kobasew's, D'Agostini's and Pyatt's of the hockey world.

I'd want Stempniak signed here before JJ.
He's more of value to a Pen's playoff roster than an aging JJ imo.
And we'd have Dupuis back and hopefully playing on the 3rd line.
Dupuis-Sutter-Stempniak is a nice 3rd line to have.

Also, you're crazy if you think players wouldn't want to sign here. Playoffs every year with a player friendly coach.

And brand new facilities, sellouts every home and most away games, a franchise that takes care of families etc etc. Even without the on-ice product, it would be an amazing place to work/play. Unless you're in your 30s and want to win this year (in which case you could still do a lot, lot worse), I don't know why you wouldn't want to play here.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
At 30 years of age Jussi is gonna look for something long term at at least 5 million per season, and believe it or not, he'll probably manage to sucker some team into paying that on the open market. I doubt very much we bring him back.

Stempniak on the other hand I can see us bringing back...

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
There's an interview period before free agency. That's when we'll find out where Kule's at and/or if Shero has interest.

And Jokinen is decent positionally, but he's not in Kule's class defensively.

I think it's going to happen. And I like the idea of JJ as a backup to Kulemin not coming here.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I think it's going to happen. And I like the idea of JJ as a backup to Kulemin not coming here.

Jokinen is a quality addition to most lines with a need for an offensive X-factor that otherwise handles itself when it comes to board work and possession metrics.
It is sad and enlightening in even measure that no qualified line two-some is less like that on our team than the one he is on. So yes, Jokinen can play there, but he merely exacerbate what is good/less good about it. It is the lazy choice to put him with Geno, at least as long as Neal is there.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Jokinen is a quality addition to most lines with a need for an offensive X-factor that otherwise handles itself when it comes to board work and possession metrics.
It is sad and enlightening in even measure that no qualified line two-some is less like that on our team than the one he is on. So yes, Jokinen can play there, but he merely exacerbate what is good/less good about it. It is the lazy choice to put him with Geno, at least as long as Neal is there.

Yes, I agree. Not sure if you were responding to what I wrote or just stating in general. My stance is that we should explore better fits (Kulemin/Bennett), with JJ being a good fallback option that we can pencil 50 points from.

As much as Jokinen produces, I still don't feel like he has great chemistry with Malkin and Neal. He's just kind of there. Bennett clicked at one point with those two, and provides better boardwork.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
At 30 years of age Jussi is gonna look for something long term at at least 5 million per season, and believe it or not, he'll probably manage to sucker some team into paying that on the open market. I doubt very much we bring him back.

Stempniak on the other hand I can see us bringing back...

:laugh:

No team is going to pay 5mil for him.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I hope Shero makes good use of this interview period. Jussi and Stempniak are both guys I want to be considered as plan B guys, but you can't expect them to sit around and wait for Shero to make up his mind. We need to have as clear of a picture of how our plan A is going to work before free agency ever starts.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I hope Shero makes good use of this interview period. Jussi and Stempniak are both guys I want to be considered as plan B guys, but you can't expect them to sit around and wait for Shero to make up his mind. We need to have as clear of a picture of how our plan A is going to work before free agency ever starts.

That seems to be an area where Shero has issues as well. He gets too locked in on one thing.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I really think people are underselling Jokinen. 50 points 70 games is pretty good for someone on $2.1m ($3m really). I'd give him $3m for that. 61 in 80 games so far as a Penguin.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I really think people are underselling Jokinen. 50 points 70 games is pretty good for someone on $2.1m ($3m really). I'd give him $3m for that. 61 in 80 games so far as a Penguin.

I'd rather give guys like BB and Megna a chance at that spot. Just like we need to let the veteran D walk to make room for the younger guys, we need to do the same with the forwards.

BumFortyOne

Nov 13, 2006
Berkeley
Agree with the general sentiment that Jokinen should be a backup option. I think for me it hinges on whether Shero manages to get Kesler at the draft. If that happens, I would go hard after Kulemin and re-sign Stempniak.

Kunitz-Crosby-Stempniak
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Kulemin-Kesler-Dupuis

You could maybe change up the wings some but at least you're pretty much guaranteed to have an amazing third line.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Agree with the general sentiment that Jokinen should be a backup option. I think for me it hinges on whether Shero manages to get Kesler at the draft. If that happens, I would go hard after Kulemin and re-sign Stempniak.

Kunitz-Crosby-Stempniak
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Kulemin-Kesler-Dupuis

You could maybe change up the wings some but at least you're pretty much guaranteed to have an amazing third line.

Yep. And if Kesler is brought in to revive the 3C model, then all the more reason to spend our available cap room on re-signing Stemp and bringing in Kule. Not on UFA D-men.

As great as Nisky's been this year, I think it's nuts to spend 4+ mil on a guy who may not even be in our top 4 next season. And likely shouldn't given that he's not a good complement for either martin or letang.

A longterm LW for Malkin and Neal is a greater need. As is making the 3C model an advantage by surrounding each of them with legit linemates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad