Recalled/Assigned: Veleno called up

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
I’m sure we’ll see something ridiculous.

Fabbri Larkin Raymond
Gagner suter Zadina
Veleno Rasmussen Names

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

This cracks me up. I wonder how this car ride went.

Here's something:

Five Takeaways From Red Wings Loss At Toronto; Veleno Car Pools With Yzerman

Veleno caught a ride to the game from Detroit with Red Wings GM Steve Yzerman.

“I had to wake up early in GR, head to LCA and get tested (for COVID) and then Steve was on his way there,” Veleno said. “It just made sense to drive with him. It’s not that far of a drive, rather than going to the airport and taking a commercial flight and having to do the cross-border stuff. I thought it was going to take longer and be a lot more stressful than just driving.”

So what type of discussions go on during a four-hour drive with your boss?

“There was some hockey talk,” Veleno said. “There was that Michigan-Michigan State football game. We had that on the radio for a little bit. I ended up sleeping a little bit. I was tired.
“It was nice of him to offer to drive me to the game.”

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I wonder if Erne came out in bad condition last night. He got promoted to the second line it appeared in the 2nd period. He finished the game with the 4th lowest TOI ahead of only Stephens, Rowney, and Namestnikov (surprisingly)

Even if it’s not a fracture or anything, I could see him being banged up enough to need a day off.
Yes it does, With Bertuzzi not travelling with the team, That leaves just 12 forwards plus it looks like Erne maybe injured as well that's probably why Veleno was called up in the first place. And once Bertuzzi comes back depending on Ernes injury next Friday against Boston. Veleno can be sent back down.

I can't remember what thread it was around the start of the year, but there was some debate on whether or not Bertuzzi's travel to Canada situation would be allowed by the league as a factor in the Wings needing to use "emergency recall" or not.

Veleno's recall seems to indicate that it does indeed count. CapFriendly has him on the Red Wings roster under "emergency recall" and Erne has not been placed on IR, which means the Wings used his injury and Bertuzzi not traveling as a "roster emergency" leaving them with less than 12 forwards.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I can't remember what thread it was around the start of the year, but there was some debate on whether or not Bertuzzi's travel to Canada situation would be allowed by the league as a factor in the Wings needing to use "emergency recall" or not.

Veleno's recall seems to indicate that it does indeed count. CapFriendly has him on the Red Wings roster under "emergency recall" and Erne has not been placed on IR, which means the Wings used his injury and Bertuzzi not traveling as a "roster emergency" leaving them with less than 12 forwards.

It could be those two things together. Because at first Montreal trip, Veleno was not called. There was no other injuries. They had 13 forwards when counting Bertuzzi. But after Erne dropped and Bert was count out for same game, that enabled calling Veleno.

Also, IR can be used retroactively.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

From the CBA:

Emergency recall:
Emergency conditions shall be established when the playing strength of the Loaning Club, by reason of incapacitating injury or illness or by League suspension to its Players is reduced below the level of two (2) goalkeepers, six (6) defensemen and twelve (12) forwards. Proof of the existence of the emergency conditions including the incapacity shall be furnished to the Commissioner of the League upon request made by him.

So emergency recall can be used when a player is suspended. Capfriendly does have Bert listed as suspended without pay this trip. If D-Boss and Erne are both out, that still leaves the team with 11 forwards so Blash probably plays Stecher and goes 7D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad