GDT: Vegas tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
I know shooting percentages are up across the league, but how can they seriously consider starting a .897 goalie in the postseason?

I don’t see the upside in Samsonov’s game. At some point being a first round pick means nothing. Who cares what his perceived value was 7 years ago?
Yes it's completely idiotic. Vanacek IS the better goalie, even though it's not by much. I'd be playing VV from now on and let him play himself back in (and hopefully not "back out" which also seems to happen with our goalies)!

Reactions: racingmoose

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Yes it's completely idiotic. Vanacek IS the better goalie, even though it's not by much. I'd be playing VV from now on and let him play himself back in (and hopefully not "back out" which also seems to happen with our goalies)!

None are starting goaltenders, but Vanecek is definetely more consistent 0.909 (28th leaguewide) vs 0.897 (47th) and 0,32 less goals against pr game. Meaning every third game Samsonov let in one extra goal.

Vanecek have 18 games with less than 2 goals against while Samsonov has 15. What makes this even worse for Samsonov is in 5 of those he faced less than 20 shots for Vanecek its only 2 of those.

There isnt really a lot saying he is gonna win more games either. Its not like he is playing more games on a high level and more on a bad level. For example Vanecek have 9 games above 0.950 while Samsonov have 7.

If Samsonov was like a supergoalie half the time then horrible the other games you could make a case saying Vanecek is just not good enough to get the wins while with Samsonov you got a shot if hes on, but there are no signs of him actually playing more often on a high level.

Samsonov have a lot more softies so if he can clean up his game he might be the better goalie, but as long as he keeps letting them in he should be behind VV.

Reactions: PlushMinus

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
The first two goals against were inexcusable. Sammy needs to have those.

They played great for 1.5 periods and then did their we are not interested thing.

Consistency is key for these guys. If they can keep their heads in the game for 60 mins like they did against Colorado, they can make some noise in the playoffs.

Reactions: PlushMinus

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
Packed it in after 2 periods and figured the final outcome was a toss-up considering the Caps' tendencies to fold late in games as well as their stellar goaltending this season. Sorry to have missed #50 but not unhappy to have missed the OTL. Was hoping the Caps would be nailing closed the VGK coffin.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Going to watch some of the recording this morning. 30 seconds in and I see Sammy already looking around for the puck on the Patch shot, as if he thought it went through.

VV, please save us.

Maybe that's the avatar theme. Flash Gordon "save us" with VV. lol

Reactions: YippieKaey

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
The first two goals against were inexcusable. Sammy needs to have those.

They played great for 1.5 periods and then did their we are not interested thing.

Consistency is key for these guys. If they can keep their heads in the game for 60 mins like they did against Colorado, they can make some noise in the playoffs.
Goalies giving up easy saves will do that.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Just saw first goal against. Kind of 50/50 there. 3 guys screening Sammy on a knuckle puck that's deflected downward right in front of him. If he's down with the pads too early you criticize him if the shot's high, so can't fault him on that aspect.

But the puck deflects off his own stick and through his 5 hole. I'm not a goaltender but that seems like a cardinal sin. Should he have had the blade down and in better position sooner? Maybe.

Reactions: Neil Racki

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
besides the OT winner, all three regulations goals were real bummers. Long range point shot that's basically a dump in, leaky goal, and then a goal where he doesn't have his stick. The full Samsonov experience. His rebounds seem a little bit better though.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Most discouraging thing about Sammy’s performance last night is he looked calm and in control against Colorado. The second goal was bullshit and shouldn’t have counted but he made a number of solid (and timely saves), especially on the PK.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
1st goal ... I saw 3 guys screening him and one was pretty close to the shooter. Puck just found the net, bad luck. Sammy had little chance of seeing the puck coming off the blade. he never saw it coming.

"It takes a lot of practice to get lucky" (Patrick Roy) so perhaps if Sammy had better fundamentals, had stick down, he would have got lucky and it would hit him.

------

Went to bed after the first, real happy to see Ovi get 2. That first goal was probably going in on its own without the Kuzy tap but Kuz was 100% right to jam it home and not wait.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Most discouraging thing about Sammy’s performance last night is he looked calm and in control against Colorado. The second goal was bullshit and shouldn’t have counted but he made a number of solid (and timely saves), especially on the PK.

Sammy made some big saves last night too, but I've said on here a few times, the mark of a great goalie is not how many big saves he makes, its how few softies he lets in. Softies just deflate a team, more so than big saves motivate them. A great goalie makes the handful of big saves, but doesn't have these massive lapses in concentration that Sammy does almost every 4th or 5th period. Good goalies make you beat them cleanly, they don't give you freebies. Sammy is a Pez dispenser some times.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Just saw first goal against. Kind of 50/50 there. 3 guys screening Sammy on a knuckle puck that's deflected downward right in front of him. If he's down with the pads too early you criticize him if the shot's high, so can't fault him on that aspect.

But the puck deflects off his own stick and through his 5 hole. I'm not a goaltender but that seems like a cardinal sin. Should he have had the blade down and in better position sooner? Maybe.
I’d like to see him be more aggressive trying to see around the screen….he was lazy on that play….but yeah screened. It happens.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Just got to the OT goal. What the hell were Eller and Oshie doing there?

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Since it doesn't really matter i gotta give cred to Shea Theodore for a nice GWG.

Other reflections are that Sammy is very athletic and extremely aggressive on the puck, but unfortunately his brain processes the play too slow for that style of play, otherwise he could be really good. Now, he pairs world class saves with letting in goals that a beer league goalie would get. Vanny is the exact opposite basically. Pretty annoying.

Also: 9 50 goal seasons for Ovi. Greatest goalscorer ever for sure. Even though he likes Putin he could for sure date my mom

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
CXEBHHUGQBHUTO7HHUIWBQRONI[1].jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad