Rumor: Vegas picks Griffin Reinhart from oilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Paul could skate very well, he's nowhere close to that.
Paul only slowed when his back issues became overwhelming.

That's the part that Griffin seemed to be blind to. Maybe it was just a comment to satisfy the media, but it bothered me as an Oilers fan to hear him say that.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I was high on Griffin when he was in the draft as an expansion team why not get former high picks and hope they figure it out? Dudes only 23 not like he's 30

He has shown very little improvement since being drafted. He could end up as a bottom pairing guy but I doubt it. I bet he'll be on waivers in a few months. Had Vegas not taken him, I seriously doubt he would have made the Oilers and would have been waived anyways.

Khaira should've been Vegas' pick. He has improved every year and could be a solid 3rd line power forward in the NHL sooner rather than later.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I was high on Griffin when he was in the draft as an expansion team why not get former high picks and hope they figure it out? Dudes only 23 not like he's 30

First hes actually got to be top 4 in AHL before he can do something in NHL

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Why do we know every friggin pick already?

Just my guess but all the picks are officially in and I think the GM are calling their former players letting them know what is up. My guess is the guy going to Vegas doesn't feel the need as much to keep quiet as the GMs do(who were told by Bettman to keep quiet)

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I still think he ends up an NHL player, question is will he be a 3rd pairing guy or a legit shutdown defenseman you can put out against other teams top players(I am guessing more likely the first option but you never know how defensemen develop)

Face it, he's a bust.

Forget his slow skating (wasn't bothered by that). It's his slow decision making and limited offensive upside.

I was hoping for a Petry + Klefbom when we traded for him but instead we got a Plante/Tuebert/Musil.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
a big lesson here, sometimes the brand name isn't always best! Guy never panned out. hopefully he can find his game before its too late

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I guess he'll get his chance in Vegas, but a little surprised they took him given he's eligible for waivers next season and has proven nothing at the NHL level. Glad Khaira wasn't picked.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Face it, he's a bust.

Forget his slow skating (wasn't bothered by that). It's his slow decision making and limited offensive upside.

I was hoping for a Petry + Klefbom when we traded for him but instead we got a Plante/Tuebert/Musil.

He is substantially worse than Petry or Klefbom, but substantially better than Plante and Teubert, he is also better than Musil, but not by as big a gap as you would expect for the difference in pedigree. I watched all these guys in the AHL and there is a pretty big middle ground in between those two clusters Reinhart resides there. I'll give Reinhart kudos though, he was pretty awful when we got him and didn't progress at all the 1st year we had him, but this season he actually did improve his game by a substantial margin, likely to always be a disappointment relative to draft position, but he could be an NHL player, most likely 3rd pairing.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
The only other legit option for them was Jujhar Khaira (or Benoit Pouliot if they believe he can bounce back). Griff is a failed experiment and I'm surprised they passed on Kulak and took Griff. Kulak > Griff at this point. Griff only has his 4th overall draft pedigree as his value tbh.

Only reason for McPhee to take Pouliot is if PC had a Video or Photo's of McPhee with Russia Hookers.

Not saying I think that was the smart pick as there are other players I would have selected ahead of him but its certainly not the worst.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Not surprised they picked him. Must be hoping he can finally put it together.

or maybe that was the best available Oiler.

When you only have Reinhart, Khaira, Fayne or Pouliot to pick from its never going to make sense.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Honestly thought they might have taken Pouliot, as he's an actual NHLer, just paid too much money for what he brings - It's not like Vegas is going to have to worry about the cap at this point.

But either way, I'm fine. This at least ends the concern about Chia's only real trade fumble while in Edmonton. Still could turn into a decent player, but at this point we don't really have much room for him. We aren't going to want to run Nurse, Benning and Reinhart in our lineup and one of those three is not like the other right now.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Reinhart is a better player then many in this thread are giving him credit for based on how he progressed through the course of this past AHL season, but the Oilers absolutely do deserve ridicule for the trade, we paid a big price to get him and he didn't amount to much, suffice to say we got bent over in that trade. Though I will say people claiming that we ended up trading a 1st and a 2nd for nothing isn't quite true, Reinhart was good enough to be selected by Vegas and saved our next best prospect/player from being taken in the expansion draft which is Juhjar Khaira. Juhjar certainly isn't worth a 1st and a 2nd rd pick, but he has some value and I'm glad he is still with us.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Chia could have gave away every pick that year after drafting
Mcdavid and that draft would still be a win. We still ended up with Mcdavid, Talbot and Gryba. As well as drafting some nice D prospects in the later rounds like Jones, Bear, Marino and Paigan. Three of those players will be in the AHL next season.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Yeah and a nothing dman at this point in his career. This is much less than some other teams are losing in the draft, even with some teams giving 1st rd picks to protect their players.

Oh definitely agree. This expansion draft appears to have worked out spectacularly for the Alberta teams. Just ****** how that trade worked out for you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad