Rumor: Vegas: Local Rumblings About Marchessault Going On The Block

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think Tampa Bay did pretty well for themselves In that time. Having Kucherov sit out the regular season in my opinion was brilliant.
People made a big deal about that, but it was only possible because of a Covid shortened regular season that only lasted 4 months. It's very unlikely you'll see many players not play from October to mid April, and then turn up for game 1 of the playoffs.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I don't think you understand that Vegas doesn't have to work on the same premises that most other NHL teams do.

Vegas, Tampa, Rangers as examples.

Those teams could shit can the entire Team. And 80% of the players in the league would line up begging to be traded or sign there as UFA's. It's a luxury Vegas has realized and implements. It's why those teams are so bloody successful. Go there and don't perform.. shit canned (traded, left to rot in minors, ignored, then not resigned.. whatever they can do). That just doesn't work for a lot of the teams in the league.

I guess what I'm saying is that the factors that determine if a player wants to play in that city considerably favor those teams. QUITE considerably favor. The biggest reason is they're such destinations that they can keep competitive, which is one of the biggest drivers of player motivations for chosing a destination.

A hyperbole to illustrate the point. Vegas can trade Marchessault. Go on social media and tell him to "f*** off and never come back" with the confidence that his replacement.. whether it be from trade or UFA will not only sign, but at a discount. All while having the replacement signing all years in his effective window due to age. While Calgary would be forced to re-sign him at an increased premium into retirement years where half or more of the contract is a hindrance.

Vegas has 1 player.. 1 player signed past 35 and That's Pietrangelo to age 37.
The Flames have 4 players signed past 35... 4 f***ing players they had to beg... by giving years into their late 30's to sign there.

And we wonder why non-destination markets in Canada, Buffalo, Minnesota, Philadelphia, Columbus, etc don't win cups. The best chance they have is winning a generational lottery and driving hype to get players to play there without the "Non-Destination" premium. And that team just lost to Vegas. So even that hasn't proven fruitful.

There's all this talk about parity but for the most part of the last 30 years most Stanley cup winners have been at what most people would consider "Destination" cities. Vegas is probably the team that is most aware of this situation and takes advantage of it. I don't blame them one bit.. they're their to win and If Calgary gets f***ed over... all the better for them. It's not like Calgary fans are going to stop coming to watch.
The amount of energy it took you to respond to my post is rather laughable. Don't let a silly old Jets fan like me get to you.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Hockeytown USA
He's still got a few years of good hockey left in him. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see you trade him right when he's on the tip of decline or starting his decline, though in this case he does have a nmc. Heck he may be a good bet to be quite effective into the later years of it. Or Vegas makes the nmc go away somehow.

Similar to Reilly Smith. I think Pittsburgh got hosed on this trade. Of all the players I watched in that series he was probably your worst, or should I say least impactful.

Point is I don't think Vegas treats their players poorly by any means. They just have the luxury to made hard decisions without fear of reputational impact amongst the players and coaches. You don't perform.. you're out. A luxury a lot of the teams around the league doesn't have because unlike Vegas everyone isn't lining up to take their place.

Calgary can drop a player. But the replacement isn't going to be a good one. It's a rookie.. or some guy just trying to stay in the league.. or they overpay. They trade for a player and have to overpay to keep him.

Vegas can drop anyone on the team. Trade for and sign anyone, sign any UFA at minimal a fair salary (NEVER EVER have to overpay, and usually drive a discount)

This shit adds up. Combine that with good management and Vegas has a strong advantage over the rest of the league.

The player pool they can draw from is practically 100%.
Calgary's realistic player pool is likely 80% with 20% of them wanting a premium in salary to play there.
Don't disagree with you, and in fact the Vegas org goes out of their way to treat players well while they are here for that very reason.

Reactions: WhataKnight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad