Rumor: Vegas: Local Rumblings About Marchessault Going On The Block

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Hockeytown USA
Merely noting some local rumors about Marchessault going on the block, which seem to have spurred some "non-denial denials" that have been a prelude to a trade.

Reasons why it may happen: (1) Marchy's contract expires next year, and Vegas can get something for him now before he turns UFA; (2) the Vegas organization hates distractions; and (3) it would be, well, so Vegas-like to deal the Conn-Smythe winner if they could talk one of the sucker GMs into paying a stupidly huge premium.

Anyway, the latest non-denial denial: Jonathan Marchessault On The Trade Block? No Way - SinBin.vegas

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
The 'get value for him now before losing him for nothing' is kind of ridiculous when you're a Cup contender and will pay good value to get someone now then lose him for nothing.

Vegas is the biggest example of a team with no loyalties but if there's any truth to the rumour I doubt that would be why. More likely they don't want to give a 33 year old Conn Smythe winner a UFA valued contract extension so they're looking for a 'hockey trade' for someone more agreeable. Because now's not the time to trade a Marchessault without any salary coming back.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Maybe they don’t want to extend him but why not keep him another shot at a cup playing alongside Eichel
Sustained excellence prioritized over short term benefits would be my guess. If you continually cycle out quality, aging players by trading them for good returns, you can remain a contender indefinitely.
If you keep him then he walks for nothing.

Average Forward age: 27.1
Average Defensemen age: 29.0

Watch them not re-sign 37 y/o Martinez either.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
The 'get value for him now before losing him for nothing' is kind of ridiculous when you're a Cup contender and will pay good value to get someone now then lose him for nothing.
It seems ridiculous short term, but if as a GM you apply yourself to this management style throughout the roster, you can remain a contender for years and years.

Marchessault had 19 points in 39 games over the 2 prior playoffs. There's no guarantee he gives you another great playoff in 2024.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
If any organization is going to trade their conn smythe winner the year after winning the cup, its Vegas.
Literally the only team that would do it is vegas. Insane. And these stupid fans here (yes i live in vegas) will just sit there and say oh okay they must have had their reasons, probably what any team would do right?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Gotta love Marchy but this would be on point and frankly could be smart. Marchessault isn’t a spring chicken. He will be 33 in December and an UFA next summer.

He’s an absolute bargain for this season so if I’m Vegas I’m probably just considering him an internal rental and letting him walk next summer. He’s too important. But you never know - he would have a premium rental value and the one thing about Vegas is you know they are going to re-invest amy trade chips they acquire.

It wouldn’t be shocking if they turn one season of JM into a guy who can contribute for 3 or 4 seasons via a series of deals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad