Vegas Golden Knights retire #58

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Very nice gesture from the organization.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
Yeah I agree that this has no reason to be retired, it has nothing to do with hockey. Boston never retired 3 after the marathon bombing and the New York rangers never retired 9 or 11 after WTC. Not trying to be insensitive to the attack victims, I just don't think they should retire numbers after every terrorist attack.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Yeah I agree that this has no reason to be retired, it has nothing to do with hockey. Boston never retired 3 after the marathon bombing and the New York rangers never retired 9 or 11 after WTC. Not trying to be insensitive to the attack victims, I just don't think they should retire numbers after every terrorist attack.

This guy gets it.

Reactions: marty111 and NHLpls

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
There's a stark difference between disagreeing with the reasoning behind retiring a number (I'm not a fan of the practice in general) and calling that reasoning dumb when it was a goodwill gesture in recognition of 58 people who were collectively murdered in your city six months ago today. There are moments when a sports team transcends just the entertainment factor they are expected to provide and they become cemented as members of the community. We see it with charitable outreach all of the time. When one of the worst domestic terrorism events in the nation's history happens in your city, your sports team makes a statement. If you disagree with it, fine, but bitching and moaning about it while tossing out "I'm still going to hate the team" nonsense like an angry teenager who doesn't understand how rivalries should end at the water's edge isn't simple disagreement. It's making bold and stupid remarks meant simply to appear "edgy."

Refuse

Sin City Soldiers
Aug 23, 2005
Well what you think on the matter is pretty irrelevant, unless you feel like coming across like a total douchebag on the internet is worth your hot take on the matter. VGK can do whatever they want, the shooting was a traumatic event for the city and what other franchises in other cities DIDN'T do when tragedy struck their cities isn't some kind of precedent.. You do come across as insensitive even if you aren't trying.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
Well what you think on the matter is pretty irrelevant, unless you feel like coming across like a total *****ebag on the internet is worth your hot take on the matter. VGK can do whatever they want, the shooting was a traumatic event for the city and what other franchises in other cities DIDN'T do when tragedy struck their cities isn't some kind of precedent.. You do come across as insensitive even if you aren't trying.

That's just your opinion and if you think my opinion is insensitive them you should take a long look in the mirror because I'm sure somebody thinks your opinions are insensitive as well. I'm not trying to say that the attack wasnt horrible and that these peoples lives should not be honored, I'm saying that making a tribute in a hockey arena is probably one of the worst places for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad