Vegas' first ever Captian

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Engelland might make some sense as a stop gap in the role.

35 years old, tons of wear and tear on the body, and getting slower and slower..he will be out of the league after next year or the year after.

Gives the team a year or two to find a long term solution and see who's left after that.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I think they should make Fleury the captain ( the way Luongo was in Vancouver); that said, without a doubt Neal should be wearing a letter (he has experience as alternate captain and is one of the oldest and most talented players).

Cody Eakin and Reilly Smith are core players under contract for a few years but I don't see them getting letters, though Eakin's work ethic and experience might earn him an 'A'.

Engelland? I don't think a 15-min third pairing guy with one career playoff series win under his belt and on a one-year contract and little prospects of being re-signed ought to be anything more than an occasional media scrum quote here and there from the Albertan who has lived for several years in Nevada.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I think Luongo is the reason goaltenders aren't captains anymore.

Didn't they pass a rule to avoid goalie captains since they're not really able to get quickly get to the ref crease when they're needed?

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
I still believe the first Captain will be Bellemare. He wore the "A" in Philly, he's under contract for two years so he probably won't get traded until the 2019 trade deadline, and he's already in Europe doing a Media Tour for the NHLPA. He'd be a great representative of our team:

I think Neal and Engelland get the A's. After Neal gets moved at the deadline, I could see Schmidt getting the A as they head into negotiations for his extension. I think Engelland retires after this season and takes a job with the team (Community / Fan Development, etc) so that he can continue to live in Vegas.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I think Luongo is the reason goaltenders aren't captains anymore.

Didn't they pass a rule to avoid goalie captains since they're not really able to get quickly get to the ref crease when they're needed?

You're just a bit off. Luongo was the exception to the rule, not the cause of it. But he was the most recent example of a goalie captain.

The nogoalieascaptain rule came bacuase of Bill "the most interesting hockey player in history" Durnan*. He would get extra breaks for his team by talking to the refs about petty things whenever he wanted. So the league said a G can't be captain anymore. When Luongo got the C in Vancouver, he wasn't technically allowed to do so. He never even got a C stitched to his sweater, so he painted one on the chin of his mask instead.

*Bill Durnan was also ambidextrous, and could catch with his left or right hand. So he had special gloves made so he could flip his stick to the other hand during play. The guy was a strange case, that's for sure.

Back on topic: Engelland is my guess.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I'll go with James Neal
The 6'2 veteran two-time all-star gamer and experienced leader will be captain or alternate captain. Bank on it.

cms8jbzuwaa_qde.jpg

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
I'll take it a step further and tell you, I can almost guarantee there won't be a captain.

"We really don't want to put a C on a guy unless he's going to be the person to lead us for a long time." - McPhee

If we don't name a C this year, I still think we go Bellemare-Engelland-Neal as A's. When Neal gets traded, Schmidt gets an A. And when Schmidt signs his extension, he gets serious consideration to be the first captain.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
You don't have to wear a letter to be a leader.

MAF could be a leader. As could half a dozen guys.

Engelland, leading the informal skates, has shown leadership.

There's also the NHLPA rep (often not the captain) who will be in on leadership as well (at the league level, nominally).

(FWIW, the Sharks have their captain and alternates. But about 1/3 the NHL squad is part of the "leadership group" that work with the C and As and coaching staff. They are also the guys who set the culture/timbre for the team.)

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
As an outsider, wouldn't it make more sense to hand out the C later once the core of your team has been at least somewhat stabilized? Maybe give the A's to the veterans that seem like fixtures on your team (ie. not the most obvious tradebait) and see how it goes? Players like Bellemare, Engelland and Haula. The first two don't have a lot of TDL value but serve a veteran leadership purpose for your team (if they get to play) while trading Haula would seem so weird after choosing him over so many other options from Minny..

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
It has to be Neal. No-brainer really. That said, since they're going to flip him to the highest bidder at the trade deadline I would understand them electing to not put a C on anyone.

This whole thing kind of sucks though, since I just got my email for my jersey order and would like to know who has the C. Ah well.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
It has to be Neal. No-brainer really. That said, since they're going to flip him to the highest bidder at the trade deadline I would understand them electing to not put a C on anyone.

This whole thing kind of sucks though, since I just got my email for my jersey order and would like to know who has the C. Ah well.

The jerseys are definitely coming to us blank. Once we find out which company's doing their lettering/numbers, it should be fairly easy to get those added later.

I'm leaving mine blank for a few years unless I really like Theodore.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
The jerseys are definitely coming to us blank. Once we find out which company's doing their lettering/numbers, it should be fairly easy to get those added later.

I'm leaving mine blank for a few years unless I really like Theodore.

In the email you choose what is on it, name, number etc to include whether or not you want a C or A. Think I'm gonna go with Shippy, but haven't made my mind up just yet.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
In the email you choose what is on it, name, number etc to include whether or not you want a C or A. Think I'm gonna go with Shippy, but haven't made my mind up just yet.

You got a different email than me.

Is this the season ticket jersey email, or just a standard jersey availability email?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad