Confirmed with Link: Vegas & Columbus report Covid infections

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Have their been any confirmed details for the next season? I feel like the only two things I’ve read were both speculation/rumors of new divisions and a January start date.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
How is a season possibly going to work if there aren't 4 bubbles?
They need to do it the way MLB did it. Even if they make 4 closer divisions, they should do back to back games and tighter schedules like that anyway.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The vaccine will have a lot to do with it.

Isn't a vaccine going to be in extremely limited supply until 2022 or the tail end of 2021? Thought i read that when the Pfizer vaccine was still announced.

They need to do it the way MLB did it. Even if they make 4 closer divisions, they should do back to back games and tighter schedules like that anyway.

Playing series of games would make way more sense, for sure. But limiting travel completely in a bubble would be ideal for preventing COVID infenctions. Not ideal for the players i'm sure though. I'm curious to see what the league does.

Nonetheless, makes what the NHL did this summer even more impressive with the bubble. Zero infections (while in the bubble) and still had a successful postseason.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I don't see any way the NHL can pull off a season outside a bubble. All it takes is a single player to infect an entire team. The proximity of these guys to one another all season long is unlike any other sport. Hell, just sitting on the bench is a huge risk for spreading illness. The ability to socially distance from one another is much worse than other sports.

It's going to be a disaster.

Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I don't see any way the NHL can pull off a season outside a bubble. All it takes is a single player to infect an entire team. The proximity of these guys to one another all season long is unlike any other sport. Hell, just sitting on the bench is a huge risk for spreading illness. The ability to socially distance from one another is much worse than other sports.

It's going to be a disaster.

I disagree. It has a lot to do with personal responsibility but the NFL and MLB pulled it or have pulled it off. If the control the environment and players/personnel are responsible then they can do it.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I disagree. It has a lot to do with personal responsibility but the NFL and MLB pulled it or have pulled it off. If the control the environment and players/personnel are responsible then they can do it.

They aren't going to be isolated in hotels when they are at home. So not only do they have to be responsible, all their friends and family have to be responsible, too... All their kids have to be responsible. The logistics and number of failure points for a team staying healthy are daunting. And it only takes one.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
They aren't going to be isolated in hotels when they are at home. So not only do they have to be responsible, all their friends and family have to be responsible, too... All their kids have to be responsible. The logistics and number of failure points for a team staying healthy are daunting. And it only takes one.

The NFL is doing it right now so it is more than possible.

Reactions: Geoist

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I've said it before, I'll say it again. The divisions just need to be treated as independent leagues this season all the way through the playoffs until the final four. Just keep everything self-contained and have only the eventual divisional champs face off in a bubbled playoff. An outbreak in one division would have no impact on the other three.

The Worst One

Who wants to die?
Oct 5, 2017
I've said it before, I'll say it again. The divisions just need to be treated as independent leagues this season all the way through the playoffs until the final four. Just keep everything self-contained and have only the eventual divisional champs face off in a bubbled playoff. An outbreak in one division would have no impact on the other three.
f*** this. Either play the season as usual or shut the whole thing down until it's safe to play.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
I mean the NHL season already isn’t going to start on time. On time would have been October which wasn’t possible.

On time for what they wanted would have been January 1 which isn’t going to happen either. It’s literally a month away. You need training camp, you need time for people to quarantine, hell even a plan is what you need. They don’t have any of that set up, it’s going to take more than month. If it gets to mid December and nothing happens, the season will be jeopardy, they need to get it started February 1.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Team Canada also had a couple of positive cases so they suspended scrimmages. They better flipping keep Kirby safe!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad