Vegas before and after the expansion draft. Playoff question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMLFOREVER**

May 8, 2017
Ok. So tomorrow is the big night. LVK will pick all their players and the world gets to see and judge their selections.

That said, LVK will have a very very good back end in goal and on D. There are trades that are going to go down, but that doesn't stop them from picking 9 or more top 4 D men. At least one or two of those D men will break out and become 1 and 2 top pair. And when you add that to the entry draft, they will have some serious competition during their first camp.

They will be thin up front with a limited selection of forwards and absolutely no top centres to choose from. But they will have the guns to make a trade for one during the summer.

Before, expansion teams making the playoffs in their first season was inconceivable. But there is the exception to the rule. The Florida Panthers missed the playoffs by a single point in their 93/94 season on the back of John Vanbiesbrouck and Scot Mellanby scored 30 goals. Their record for that year was an impressive 33-34-17 for 83 points.

The other side of the coin saw the Washington Capitals go 8-67-5. Milt Schmidt was the first GM of that crazy train. That year they went 38 straight road losses before finally beating the California Golden Seals 5-3 in a thriller. The players all signed a green trash can and hoisted it above their heads, Stanley Cup style and had a very ruckus evening in the bars that night. They finished on the road with a 1-39 abysmal road record. I was at that game as a 10 year old and my dad bought me my first Caps jersey. I still have it, although he was the Caps fan, and I followed in my grandfathers footsteps as a die hard Leaf fan.

Thats the best and the worst of expansion drafts. Now its safe to say, that with the talent exposed in this expansion draft, the Golden Knights won't repeat what Washington did.

Which brings me to my question. Sorry for taking so long, but I love to talk hockey. :)

Do you feel the Knights have a chance to make the playoffs in their inaugural season? This is a question that you are allowed to change your mind on after their draft. They are in the west where Nashville easily made it in with 94 points and the team behind them were the Jets with 87 points. They would have to de-throne one of:

Chicago -109
Minnesota -106
St louis - 99
Anaheim - 105
Edmonton - 103
St Jose - 99
Calgary - 94
Nashville - 94

Under that top 8, there is really nothing chasing that would get close again with the exception of the Jets.

I think that those 8 teams that made it are locks again for this upcoming year with the exception of Calgary. If the Jets have a chance, its by knocking out Calgary and will likely come down to season series.

I predict, before the draft that LVK finishes with a respectable 9th place finish with 89 points based on solid D and goaltending. I will reserve my post prediction until after all the dust has settled to see if they pick up a top centre or two, because thats all that team will be missing.

So tell me your pre and post predictions before the draft. Please be respectful of other posters opinions.

Last edited:

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
I think it will depend on what happens in FA. If they can pick up the Russians (Kovalchuk, Radulov, Dadonov) while also picking a guy like Eric Staal i think they can be a playoff team.

They will have good D and G as you mentioned so what will decide if they make it will be the quality of their forwards.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Yeah it's possible. Some of those teams have aging cores. Calgary was kind of lucky to get in this past year but who knows.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Im going to say they will be the most successful of any expansion team ever... i think they will contend for the postseason but it will take a month to get their legs under them so it will be an uphill battle..

It would not surprise me if they make it unless they trade 20 or so of these players they are getting for future picks...

Reactions: HanSolo

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
March 28, 1975. 5-3 Caps in their first and only road win that season. It must have been an amazing experience, TML! It's a very interesting story.

Did your Dad have a particular reason to cheer for the Caps?

BTW, Vegas won't make the playoffs.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
VGK has already said their plan is playoffs in 3 years, cup in 6-7. All they want next year is to be entertaining.

TMLFOREVER**

May 8, 2017
March 28, 1975. 5-3 Caps in their first and only road win that season. It must have been an amazing experience, TML! It's a very interesting story.

Did your Dad have a particular reason to cheer for the Caps?

BTW, Vegas won't make the playoffs.

Thanks. Dad was a Caps fan because he played hockey there about a bazillion years ago. :)

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
vegas wont make the playoffs

OMG the hype.

I am excited about Vegas and watching them grow but they are not going to make the playoffs in year 1. By the look of it they aren't even taking many of the best players available in favor of picks and prospects.

They will be the lowest scoring team in the NHL IMO.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Ok. So tomorrow is the big night. LVK will pick all their players and the world gets to see and judge their selections.

That said, LVK will have a very very good back end in goal and on D. There are trades that are going to go down, but that doesn't stop them from picking 9 or more top 4 D men. At least one or two of those D men will break out and become 1 and 2 top pair. And when you add that to the entry draft, they will have some serious competition during their first camp.

They will be thin up front with a limited selection of forwards and absolutely no top centres to choose from. But they will have the guns to make a trade for one during the summer.

Before, expansion teams making the playoffs in their first season was inconceivable. But there is the exception to the rule. The Florida Panthers missed the playoffs by a single point in their 93/94 season on the back of John Vanbiesbrouck and Scot Mellanby scored 30 goals. Their record for that year was an impressive 33-34-17 for 83 points.

The other side of the coin saw the Washington Capitals go 8-67-5. Milt Schmidt was the first GM of that crazy train. That year they went 38 straight road losses before finally beating the Carolina Golden Seals 5-3 in a thriller. The players all signed a green trash can and hoisted it above their heads, Stanley Cup style and had a very ruckus evening in the bars that night. They finished on the road with a 1-39 abysmal road record. I was at that game as a 10 year old and my dad bought me my first Caps jersey. I still have it, although he was the Caps fan, and I followed in my grandfathers footsteps as a die hard Leaf fan.

Thats the best and the worst of expansion drafts. Now its safe to say, that with the talent exposed in this expansion draft, the Golden Knights won't repeat what Washington did.

Which brings me to my question. Sorry for taking so long, but I love to talk hockey. :)

Do you feel the Knights have a chance to make the playoffs in their inaugural season? This is a question that you are allowed to change your mind on after their draft. They are in the west where Nashville easily made it in with 94 points and the team behind them were the Jets with 87 points. They would have to de-throne one of:

Chicago -109
Minnesota -106
St louis - 99
Anaheim - 105
Edmonton - 103
St Jose - 99
Calgary - 94
Nashville - 94

Under that top 8, there is really nothing chasing that would get close again with the exception of the Jets.

I think that those 8 teams that made it are locks again for this upcoming year with the exception of Calgary. If the Jets have a chance, its by knocking out Calgary and will likely come down to season series.

I predict, before the draft that LVK finishes with a respectable 9th place finish with 89 points based on solid D and goaltending. I will reserve my post prediction until after all the dust has settled to see if they pick up a top centre or two, because thats all that team will be missing.

So tell me your pre and post predictions before the draft. Please be respectful of other posters opinions.
Wasn't it the California Golden Seals not Carolina?

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Vegas will ice a very balanced team. Players who can compete and play in the NHL. Goalies who can win you games. It's going to be a total opposite in terms of work ethic and commitment compared to this past year's Avs for example. Not a lot if any dead weight on that team.

That said, it won't be good. They will lack those top players who ultimately make the difference in most games.

They'll be a team that if you overlook them they most likely beat you, occasionally they manage to win a game with a good team defense and goaltending, but for the most part when the actual playoff teams need a bounce back game or are in a winning streak, Vegas won't have much say in that.

They'll probably be a team that have quick spurts of 2-3 game win streaks, go .500 in the next 10-15 games and then lose 5 in a row, take a dive until a big win. Rince and repeat.

But the good thing is that i think they'll have a lot of players who will be there for a long time, take advantage of the opportunity and become better players. With good drafting (even decent drafting is enough with all the picks they will have) and some UFA signings here and there they could become a playoff team in 3-5 years.

6 years to win the cup is unrealistic. I mean their goal should be to win the cup eventually, just like every team in the NHL. But Vegas will essentially be in the same ballpark with Arizona. Nobody is saying the Yotes will win the cup any time soon. You take it one year at a time, try to improve every year and see where it goes. There is no magic tricks you can do to make your team win the cup in x amount of years. Going to be a lot of luck involved to make that happen.

Last edited:

TMLFOREVER**

May 8, 2017
Well, the picks are in and I am changing my answer. The team LVK picked is nothing close to what I think they will pick.

This team won't even get a close sniff to the playoffs next season.

The D is not as strong as I thought if could be, simply because of the trades LVK made.

This team finishes with 70 to 75 points. Only has one scoring line, and not really all that good. They have lots of prospects and picks they didnt have before but it cost them to have those.

And, I think next season (18/19), unless they make some miracle trades, will be worse than this season.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
To be honest I think a few guys are going to get paid. And after the season they have had the expectation will go from minimal like at the start of this season, to full pressure. They wont't have the luxury of no one thought you could get this far narrative. It will be everyone expects you to get this far, plus you are getting paid to get this far. Not calling a full implosion but the expectation will be ten fold.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I don't think it's any kind of secret that 90% of the people thought they'll finish last and practically no-one thought they'd make the PO's.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Digging up a year old thread like this when between main and playoff boards are swamped with knights threads helps serve only one purpose. Boosting user postcounts.

Don't really think there's a discussion here that isn't being had in multiple threads...

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
If people are trying to claim that Vegas were "gifted a championship caliber team" now, that certainly wasn't the general opinion at the time of the draft, as this thread shows.
Yes, a team that is going to win the Cup in year one of the history was not "gifted" that roster because hockey's future posters didn't think the team would go to the playoffs. Give me a freaking break.

The Knights were not only gifted this team, they were gifted a potential and likely dynasty out of the gate. It is a total embarrassment and shows why the NHL is still the worst run, by far of the 4 major North American sports.

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
I laughed.

Easy there now.
No easy:

They had the advantage of seeing where the game was going which allowed them to select a team full of great skaters in the expansion draft.
They have the advantage of not having a single bad contract on their roster and probably won't for at least a few years.
They have cap space and will be a top destination for free agents.
They should be able to re-sign both Karlsson and Neal and still have flexibility in free agency.
The ridiculous rules for the expansion draft allowed them to manipulate the system and draft 3 players in the top 15 in last years draft.
They have the best goalie in the game.

This team is your likely Cup winner and they aren't going anywhere. If they aren't a top 2 team in their division and a force next year it would be a shock. This team easily has the potential to win multiple cups of the next few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad