Speculation: Vegas attracting big-name FAs?

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I wonder if the prospect of playing in LV will appeal to players and make it an attractive signing destination. That could certainly help the team become quickly competitive, which benefits almost everyone. [Then again, it could also deter some signings]

As a Jets fan I can't help but think Evander Kane would love to play there eventually (although he's still under contract) :laugh: - Jagr could have fun there as well - who else might want to sign and help out the team?

LeafErikson

Schwifty 24/7
Jun 23, 2004
Victoria B.C.
I think it'll be a very polarizing location for players. There will be some who love the idea, and some who probably have a tough time selling it to their families. Fair or not, there is a stigma that will come with the team.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I think it'll be a very polarizing location for players. There will be some who love the idea, and some who probably have a tough time selling it to their families. Fair or not, there is a stigma that will come with the team.

I saw this thread and 'Polarizing' was the first word that came to mind!

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
Compared to Columbus and the rest of the midwest...Its about 30% more expensive so more context is needed here.

Im paying $950 for a 1 br apartment while in Indy I had a 2 br for $650 a mo.

If you look at the Cost of Living Rankings https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/index/north-america , Las Vegas is at #44 (tied with Tampa and St. Louis) and the only cheaper NHL cities are Buffalo, Phoenix, Montreal, Raleigh and Winnipeg (none of which have been FA hotbeds). It's about 5% lower than Columbus. Indy is about 8% lower but isn't an NHL city.

By the way, I have a 2 bedroom condo with an attached garage for $700.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
I can see it being really attractive to FAs, especially those without families. The taxes are comparable to Florida.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Honestly, I think it'll take a little time. Performance-wise, if the team builds a good infrastructure and looks headed for success, UFAs will want to come here and be part of it.

In terms of living in Las Vegas, that process might be a little more drawn out in terms of waking the world up to the fact that the Strip is only one part of the city, and that there is actually room for a normal family life like any other city. It'll spread by word of mouth within the NHLPA once the team gets playing, and hopefully that will dispel the misconceptions.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
It's been mentioned a few times, but I think it's going to depend on the team that's put together, if we're a competitive team I think we'll be fine bringing the free agents in.

Vegas is a fine city to call home and if they're a little heat-averse they can always escape for the summer. :laugh:

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
If MGM cooperates we should be able to land Mike Fisher.

MGM must have a theater open somewhere for a Carrie Underwood residency!:)

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
While I don't think that Vegas will get free agents in their prime right off of the bat I'm certain that they'll easily be able to attractive some very famous names.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
By the way, I have a 2 bedroom condo with an attached garage for $700.

Do you live in North Vegas lol?

And do you have a mortgage on it or rent as mortgages are usually cheaper. I got about the going rate for apartments on the west side / Summerlin area so I think you just got a steal.

It's been mentioned a few times, but I think it's going to depend on the team that's put together, if we're a competitive team I think we'll be fine bringing the free agents in.

Vegas is a fine city to call home and if they're a little heat-averse they can always escape for the summer. :laugh:

If you dont like the heat just go to Mt Charleston. Less than an hour drive to the rink and its 20 degrees cooler everyday.

And if you go on Trulia, Zillow, etc. there are some multi million dollar cabins up there that are spectacular and secluded.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
Do you live in North Vegas lol?

And do you have a mortgage on it or rent as mortgages are usually cheaper. I got about the going rate for apartments on the west side / Summerlin area so I think you just got a steal.
I rent. I'm in centennial hills.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad