LeBrun: Vegas and W. Karlsson close to a long term contract

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Pacioretty is the guy they should move. But even though it'd possible right now I doubt it. But Karlsson deserves a floor of $6 Million per season. Unless McPhee gives him a cheap contract and more money in some of those other years.

But I think it's likely Eakin, Haula, Miller, Holden and I personally think they should dump Merrill to Detroit. Hard for Vegas, they didn't expect to get Mark Stone so easily. Though I would've included cap dump going to Ottawa such as Eakin and Holden.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Pacioretty is the guy they should move. But even though it'd possible right now I doubt it. But Karlsson deserves a floor of $6 Million per season. Unless McPhee gives him a cheap contract and more money in some of those other years.

But I think it's likely Eakin, Haula, Miller, Holden and I personally think they should dump Merrill to Detroit. Hard for Vegas, they didn't expect to get Mark Stone so easily. Though I would've included cap dump going to Ottawa such as Eakin and Holden.
Merrill was fine as a bottom pairing dman the second half of the season, and he's only making 1.1M for one more year, so don't see the need to dump him.

Reactions: GKG18

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

Pretty bad to move Suzuki for Pacioretty and then have to move him, but I guess they would get a good return back.

I see them moving Haula or Miller before Pacioretty. Someone like Tuch would get a really good return, too. Seems like a waste having him on third line.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Pretty bad to move Suzuki for Pacioretty and then have to move him, but I guess they would get a good return back.

I see them moving Haula or Miller before Pacioretty. Someone like Tuch would get a really good return, too. Seems like a waste having him on third line.

Tuch has probably the best contract on that team so I would be completely shocked if they moved him.

Reactions: WesMcCauley

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
They are going to have to give players away to get under the cap.

Honestly a pretty amazing feat in your third summer in the league, well done. And I mean that in a good way.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Just move Reilly Smith, Tuch takes his spot and they move on without a hitch. 3rd line RW shouldn't be hard to get.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
They are going to have to give players away to get under the cap.

Honestly a pretty amazing feat in your third summer in the league, well done. And I mean that in a good way.

And they have a lot of GOOD players too

Stone, Pacioretty, Statsny, Marchessault, Kill Bill, Smith, Theodore, Tuch, and Cody Glass in the wings. Not too bad at all. In fact this has been the best expansion team in any sport I can remember, ever. Lost in Finals in year 1, lost in controversial penalty in Game 7 of Round 1, and appears poised for another playoff run with depleted division opponents (LAK, ANH, EDM). Arizona is the only opponent that could challenge for the 3rd Pacific spot

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
When you put it that way, the situation doesn't sound so dire

They're at 83 million.
The Cap will be at 82 or 81.5.
They have to sign 3 more players, including a lofty long term deal with Wild Bill.
Fun fact, in their current roster setup, if Valentin Zykov gets injured, they actually don't have anyone internal that makes less money than he does to replace him if they're touching the cap.

This is a dire situation. Even at it's cheapest, the 3 players they require to put a roster together will cost ~8.5-10M. That means needing to shed 10 million. Means you're losing a good player.

Seven0two

Apr 17, 2018
They're at 83 million.
The Cap will be at 82 or 81.5.
They have to sign 3 more players, including a lofty long term deal with Wild Bill.
Fun fact, in their current roster setup, if Valentin Zykov gets injured, they actually don't have anyone internal that makes less money than he does to replace him if they're touching the cap.

This is a dire situation. Even at it's cheapest, the 3 players they require to put a roster together will cost ~8.5-10M. That means needing to shed 10 million. Means you're losing a good player.

The reason it's not "dire" per se, is that there are players that could be traded that have actual trade value aside from being purely cap dumps.

Colin Miller is an PP QB RHD that is locked up for three more years at a reasonable $3.875m. You can debate how much of a return could be had for him but when you look at what SJS just got for Justin Braun it's fair to assume a similar (if not better) return for Miller.

Cody Eakin ($3.85m) is a solid two way player and would make a very attractive 3C and could even slide into a 2C spot in the right situation. With one year left on his deal there also isn't a huge commitment to be made by a prospective trade partner and from Vegas's perspective you're probably not going to be able to re-sign him in a year anyway. Hell, Erik Haula could wind up sliding into the 3C spot this season (behind Karlsson and Stastny) which would make Eakin possibly expendable or at the very least a luxury 4C, and that's not even factoring in whether or not Cody Glass is ready to make the leap to the big team.

Erik Haula ($2.75m) brings a lot of pace and plays on the PP and has also been a decent PK while with the Wild. His injury last season will definitely affect his value to other teams, but the potential and reasonable one year left on his deal are both pretty big positives on his side.

Ryan Reaves ($2.75m) is definitely overpaid, but there are going to be teams who will have the cap space and will value what he can bring to the table.

Even David Clarksson's $5.25m hit could be attractive to teams with cap space, particularly after his bonus is paid out on July 1 because he only has one year left and is LTIR eligible so his cap hit won't cost much in real dollars to an owner.

Even Nick Holden's one year $2.2m contract can be brought out or moved with some retention to clear up a little space.

That's $20.675m right there. I assume they'll keep one of Eakin or Haula as well as Reaves, but you can see that there is a pretty clear path to clearing up space and possibly even adding some assets in the process.

Reactions: WesMcCauley

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
The reason it's not "dire" per se, is that there are players that could be traded that have actual trade value aside from being purely cap dumps.

Colin Miller is an PP QB RHD that is locked up for three more years at a reasonable $3.875m. You can debate how much of a return could be had for him but when you look at what SJS just got for Justin Braun it's fair to assume a similar (if not better) return for Miller.

Cody Eakin ($3.85m) is a solid two way player and would make a very attractive 3C and could even slide into a 2C spot in the right situation. With one year left on his deal there also isn't a huge commitment to be made by a prospective trade partner and from Vegas's perspective you're probably not going to be able to re-sign him in a year anyway. Hell, Erik Haula could wind up sliding into the 3C spot this season (behind Karlsson and Stastny) which would make Eakin possibly expendable or at the very least a luxury 4C, and that's not even factoring in whether or not Cody Glass is ready to make the leap to the big team.

Erik Haula ($2.75m) brings a lot of pace and plays on the PP and has also been a decent PK while with the Wild. His injury last season will definitely affect his value to other teams, but the potential and reasonable one year left on his deal are both pretty big positives on his side.

Ryan Reaves ($2.75m) is definitely overpaid, but there are going to be teams who will have the cap space and will value what he can bring to the table.

Even David Clarksson's $5.25m hit could be attractive to teams with cap space, particularly after his bonus is paid out on July 1 because he only has one year left and is LTIR eligible so his cap hit won't cost much in real dollars to an owner.

Even Nick Holden's one year $2.2m contract can be brought out or moved with some retention to clear up a little space.

That's $20.675m right there. I assume they'll keep one of Eakin or Haula as well as Reaves, but you can see that there is a pretty clear path to clearing up space and possibly even adding some assets in the process.
This. Vegas have to make some trades but it will not be a problem at all.

Reactions: Seven0two

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto

Well thought out, most of Vegas’s assets that are likely to be moved hold value. Would love the TML to trade for Miller. Obviously we have some trades that need to be made before we could take on Miller. I would like our whole right side retooled.

You’re in good shape and McPhee is likely to add a ton more picks. Well done!

Reactions: Seven0two

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
I think Vegas should have traded him when his value was high. Yes he still scored 24 goals last season and 56 points but nothing compared to his 40 goal and 80 point season the year before. I think this recent season is more of the player he is and not that breakout season he had.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I think Vegas should have traded him when his value was high. Yes he still scored 24 goals last season and 56 points but nothing compared to his 40 goal and 80 point season the year before. I think this recent season is more of the player he is and not that breakout season he had.

He's easily worth 6.5m the way he played this past season, and if you think his worth is measured mostly in goals you don't know what he brings.

Reactions: Nifty Willy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad