Vegas about to circumvent cap again? UPD: Mark Stone back practicing.

rsteen

Oct 1, 2022
You and he know exactly what I mean. Cap compliance to mirror the regular season.
The cap is the total salary you can spend over the whole course of the regular season. It's not "you can't go over this total AAV".

No salaries in the playoffs, therefore no cap. So how do you mirror the regular season?

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
The cap is the total salary you can spend over the whole course of the regular season. It's not "you can't go over this total AAV".

No salaries in the playoffs, therefore no cap. So how do you mirror the regular season?

Can't go over a particular AAV

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
OK, so you don't buy it.

The league did. Or, the league didn't but didn't care.

The opinion of one of those two is what matters. That's the one whose lead I'm going to follow. And, based on its actions, that's the one whose intent I'm going to try and figure out by watching its actions.

YM clearly Vs.
No. The league knew the PR nightmare from questioning a team’s decision especially when it comes to health. Especially in light of so much negative press recently.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
You can prove that?

Also, it's obvious that players are more willing to play through injury or pain in the playoffs vs. regular season. What you're arguing for is a ludicrous standard: Guys should always be forced to play in the regular season, regardless of injury/pain, so long as they are remotely physically able to get on the ice.

No one is forcing him to play regardless of pain, Vegas is free to make him a healthy scratch if he needs a maintenance day.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
It may be "bad precedent"....that every single team in the league engages in. Should Ekblad be forced out of G1 because he missed regular season games to end the season? What about Jarnkrok, same thing?

You can argue that players should be forced to play or not to play. But unless you can point to a specific rule that was broken, there was nothing done wrong.

I'm actually really glad you bring up Ekblad because that situation highlights everything that's wrong with what's happening with the LTIR situation and why a rule about players on LTIR being ineligible for round 1 would work.

Ekblad got injured the day after the trade deadline. So because of that bad luck, the Panthers couldn't replace him with say Hanifin. Compare that to Vegas which was able to bring in Hanifin, Hertl, and Mantha because Stone was hurt before. Both teams losing a top player, but only one gets to replace him with some real talent, all because of the timing around injury.

Now say there's a rule about players on LTIR not being allowed to play in round 1. In actuality, like @TLEH is saying, no players would actually miss any time because teams won't be stupid and add salary to block a player from coming back. Ekblad would have just been taken off LTIR because, guess what, Panthers didn't add another $7M salary when he went down. As for Vegas? They just wouldn't have added Hanifin, Hertl, Mantha, and Stone would be activated. No player who would be playing would be blocked from playing

As for the Avs/Landeskog example, simply just make a rule that a player that starts the season on LTIR would be exempt. Or heck just leave it, he's missed all season already, what's another round. Then in round 2 just let it be a free for all.

The only reason why people keep saying players would be blocked is because of the assumption that if a team loses a player to LTIR, some feel like that team is entitled to make up entirely for the lost cap spend, but I doubt that was the intention of LTIR in the first place. Its called Long-term Injury Relief, not Replacement.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Anyone arguing that Vegas is doing something wrong this year is sour grapes. Full of shit. Its the rules. Just like signing guys with a bunch of 1M years at the end of their deal to get their AAV down and then the league retroactively punishing them was bull shit too. You should be able to use whatever rule you can to get an advantage.

At the same time I just don't see how a league with an extremely hard cap can continue to allow teams to be 10M+ over the cap during the playoffs due to some timing and LTIR. Of course you can't tell a guy he's lying about being injured and force him to play, but that fact shouldn't allow a team to add a ton of players they otherwise wouldn't be able to.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
I mean any team can do it. My issue is that I think it's bad for the league. ESPN has the rights to the game and even they're making a joke about it. That's not a good thing.

The NBA had two incredible endings today and the NHL is talking about whether teams are cheating. Its a bad look

Reactions: Oryxo

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
It's actually not much of a problem regarding escrow because teams aren't adding to total player compensation at the deadline. They're just moving around contracts that were already signed.

Teams can add/sign players as long as they were on their reserve list at the deadline, but a handful of ELCs across the league, pro-rated to the weeks after the deadline, isn't going to make a noticable difference to escrow.

I don't know if it actually solves the issue though.
Ah yeah missed the deadline part of the post. So just "artificial". Yeah I dunno, teams might want to make these trades earlier in the season depending on their situation.

One thing I've always wondered is if the league could do with two cap hits, one league wide right now, and one flexible where anything above the other cap hit is maybe 10% higher vut 100% covered by the owner, and there could be draft penalties for going above too (like losing picks). But it'd still could increase the total payroll around the league which might lead to some issues down the line, I guess.

Reactions: WhataKnight

rea

Feb 8, 2011
I'm no Vegas fan, but the thing is, if he's not caught, is he cheating? They provided the necessary evidence he was injured, and this is the result. It has to pass league checks I assume, so if they ok it than what can you do? Every team works with the same rules so if it's exploited, every team can exploit it..

I don't like it either, but it's within the rules, so if they're the only team willing to tow the line btwn right and wrong to get an edge, that's just part of the gamesmanship. It sucks.

Having said that, I believe we can all say without a shadow of a doubt, every fan base outside of their own is probably rooting for their exit sooner than later, and all it takes is for a formula to fail once before it's abandoned. Recognize they've taken on alot of long term contracts to take their shot at present glory, it'd be all for not, and a costly venture if it doesn't work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad