Vegans/Vegetarians in the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
My girlfriend is a huge vegan, awesome one too because she never once judged me for eating meat and for the fact she's trying to learn about hockey. She asked me which NHL players were Vegetarian and the only ones I could dig up were Zach Bogosian, Georges Laraque, Ryan O'Reilly and Jonathan Toews tries to avoid eating meat. She claims the first NHL jersey she's going to buy is a vegan hockey player.

Anybody else I'm missing?

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Chara isn't vegan by a vegans standard but would probably be considered a vegan by people who aren't familiar with it haha. By this I mean I think he eats like 95% vegan so the average person would call him one but a vegan would probably say that he isn't because being a vegan has a huge ethical portion to it as well.

I am sure there will be a lot more than people would expect. Im not gonna say its a common diet but I've been vegetarian for over a year now (sisters and gf vegan) and I've met a ton of people who are vegan/vegetarian since I started.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Zigomanis, although he was never really relevant in the NHL. Also, veganism should be the way to go for everyone. Although there are some people's bodies not adapted for it, most people that "fail" it aren't doing it properly or quit too soon. It's truly beneficial for everything in the end.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Wouldn't surprise me at all if any pro athlete gave up pork and beef during the regular season - but going full vegan would be insanely tough. Your metabolism is already maxed out with the calories you burn, and you're going to strictly eat fast-processing foods like veggies, fruits, and grains? I'd be very curious to see what their diet looks like... someone should investigate :p

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

From the link:
4.3 Caveats and lingering questions
While this study shows that dietary change has the potential to reduce requirements for agricultural land and increase carrying capacity, the results are perhaps best treated as a foundation for further hypothesis testing. Only one version of each diet scenario was run in the analysis. More work is needed to understand the range of variability within each diet, and the sensitivity of results to changes in key parameters such as crop yields and food waste. In particular, each of the diets is represented by a single set of food preferences, and it is possible to envision variations on each diet that conform to the same structure in terms of food group servings yet differ in terms of the constituent foods.

It should also be noted that carrying capacity of the Vegan diet is more than twice the population of the United States. So why wouldn't we reduce animal cruelty, health care costs, and pollution by adopting a Vegan lifestyle? Seems like a no brainer to me!

Thanks for linking that study. Was in interesting read.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Pacioretty became vegan last summer and lost all his intensity

and i know there's no science to back me up so don't even start

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Kinda surprised nobody mentioned Chara yet, he made a post alluding to him going Vegan earlier this year.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
A lot of people are making veganism look like a religion. Let’s calm down. Different people have different tastes. There is enough meaningless contempt in this world. No need to judge others on their meat, eggs and milk consumption.

OVrocks

Dec 9, 2009
LA
I used to be vegan, but have since transitioned to meataterian. Nowadays, I kill chickens (in the most humane way possible) for fun and profit.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Which makes sense?

Sow Less, Reap More (Abundance)
or
Sow More, Reap Less (Scarcity)

It takes a massive amount of natural resources to produce to 1 lb of beef. Its unsustainable.

Thus, food has become scarce resource, which is why people are dying of hunger all over the world.
If you’re a vegan, you are actually against animals. Cows, goats, and pigs would not exist if people didn’t support them. And the only reason people keep them in existence is because a bacon cheeseburger is a very good lunch. If people no longer needed them, evolution would just eat them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad