Speculation: Vatanen

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
I didn't see a thread for upcoming free agency and who the Ducks may have interest in, but if there is one feel free to merge it in there.

I think it makes a lot of sense for Anaheim to tender an offer to Vatman this free agency.

He's a proven Top4 who could help our PP and offense for a season and he would be blocking no one's progression at RHD given our current pipeline.

More importantly, as a 'free asset' we could then leave unprotected and let Seattle possibly/likely grab him - thus, losing no one to the ED.

I don't know if he harbors any feelings against the Ducks for trading him away or if he would consider a return, but I think the Ducks should consider it.

Thoughts ?

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
1. Vatanen has been pretty mediocre at even strength the last couple of seasons. He was especially painful to watch for Carolina during the playoffs.
2. We have 8 defensemen signed to 1 way contracts for next season.

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
While it may be a bummer, I don't believe Anaheim has major cap room for any significant free agent. Additionally, even if Anaheim did, they'd be better off leveraging it against capstrapped teams. I'd look more so at next summer's free agents when Backes, Corey Perry's large caphit, and Getzlaf come off the books.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I don’t think Vatanen is going to age particularly well. I would stay well clear of him as a UFA.

Reactions: pbgoalie

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
Always liked Sami when he was a Duck but I would like the current version to sign elsewhere.

He’ll probably end up unprotected and go to Seattle anyway.

John

Right, which was part of the idea - we lose a 'free asset' to Seattle as opposed to anyone else we may wish to keep. In the meantime, he helps our PP for a year.

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
1. Vatanen has been pretty mediocre at even strength the last couple of seasons. He was especially painful to watch for Carolina during the playoffs.
2. We have 8 defensemen signed to 1 way contracts for next season.

He can play third-pair RHD (after Manson, Guds) and PP. We really don't have any RHD depth at all. Not to mention, I'm sure in typical Ducks fashion, injuries will hit.

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
I don’t think Vatanen is going to age particularly well. I would stay well clear of him as a UFA.

I'm not proposing to sign him to a huge deal; only if it's medium-term and affordable, with the idea Seattle takes him (hopefully) but if they don't, he won't be an albatross.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
No reason to bring in Vatanen unless a D is moved. Djoos and one of the young guys is fine on the bottom pair.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I’m only interested in getting him if it’s to flip him at a trade deadline for an asset. That’s the type of thinking our Gm should be making.

I love Sami but I’d like to find someone better offensively as a long term option

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
No thanks. Vatanen is probably looking for a big paycheck to pay for his golfing for the rest of his life. I am pretty sure he's not going to be worth the money he's going to get from somewhere. Only way I would accept getting him is what AngelDuck said, sign him so you can trade him in the deadline.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
I didn't see a thread for upcoming free agency and who the Ducks may have interest in, but if there is one feel free to merge it in there.

I think it makes a lot of sense for Anaheim to tender an offer to Vatman this free agency.

He's a proven Top4 who could help our PP and offense for a season and he would be blocking no one's progression at RHD given our current pipeline.

More importantly, as a 'free asset' we could then leave unprotected and let Seattle possibly/likely grab him - thus, losing no one to the ED.

I don't know if he harbors any feelings against the Ducks for trading him away or if he would consider a return, but I think the Ducks should consider it.

Thoughts ?

Still mystified by the deal between NJ and Carolina and equally puzzled that there are fans of the Devils that would like to see Sami II. Whatever value he provides both on the PP and the offensive rush KS more than negated by his play in his own end and defending the rush. I'd imagine in his younger days he was more willing to defend and compete for pucks. Didn't see much of that nor attention to detail last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad