Confirmed with Link: Vatanen kissing Anaheim soil for 2 more years (2.525m/2 years, 1.265 AAV)

Hele

Jul 1, 2014
Jyväskylä
Great! I think low salary is best for Sami's career. If he can't gain his spot in the Ducks, he still have a good trade value. Then he might get a bigger role in somewhere else.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I thought I read here how he was going to get $2M or more per year? How could the Ducks possibly screw him over like that? I can't believe he didn't bolt for the KHL or sign some ROR type offer sheet. :sarcasm:

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
I thought I read here how he was going to get $2M or more per year? How could the Ducks possibly screw him over like that? I can't believe he didn't bolt for the KHL or sign some ROR type offer sheet. :sarcasm:

Wasn't the discussion more about what kind of contract people here would still be satisfied with. At least I read that some of the fans would have been happy with Anaheim matching up to 2.5M.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Wasn't the discussion more about what kind of contract people here would still be satisfied with. At least I read that some of the fans would have been happy with Anaheim matching up to 2.5M.

There were also predictions, few of which (if any) were below $2M (other than my $1M prediction), I believe. But the whole idea of matching is based on a belief that some team would throw an overpriced offer out there. That never happened because he isn't proven enough for teams to want to take that risk. Then there were discussion of other young rfa player signings that even brought up Subban as if that were any kind of valid comparison.

Sami got exactly the kind of contract he deserved. A bridge contract that gives him 2 more low/reasonable priced years to prove he deserves something bigger. I certainly hope he does (as long as the Ducks hang on to him. ;)).

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010

Only hopes from them who like him was really that he gets NHL deal and gets to play in the NHL. It's great to see that Ducks used common sense and sealed that. He was 0,5ppg defenseman with Bryan Allen in an elevator season. Definitely deserved it and hopefully is (imo probably) one of our best players in few years.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Only hopes from them who like him was really that he gets NHL deal and gets to play in the NHL. It's great to see that Ducks used common sense and sealed that. He was 0,5ppg defenseman with Bryan Allen in an elevator season. Definitely deserved it and hopefully is (imo probably) one of our best players in few years.

Being out of waivers he was going to get to play here next year regardless of the contract he ultimately signed. That was never in doubt even though many people kept asking about it. He got a lot of chances last year and he will get a lot of chances this coming year. It's all up to him now. I certainly hope you are correct about a few years down the road.

RPGrizzly

Jan 5, 2006

I thought I read here that he hasn't earned anything over $1M :sarcasm:

Really nice signing, good call Eddie.

RPGrizzly

Jan 5, 2006
Think I'll go out for a beer. ;)

But realistically the next two years will critical to his future. He needs to step up his game from last year's level.

Yep. He'll no doubt be more comfortable knowing he's not going back to Norfolk at least. Hopefully he shows up to training camp healthy this year too. It was too bad he couldn't participate in last season's.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
There were also predictions, few of which (if any) were below $2M (other than my $1M prediction), I believe. But the whole idea of matching is based on a belief that some team would throw an overpriced offer out there. That never happened because he isn't proven enough for teams to want to take that risk. Then there were discussion of other young rfa player signings that even brought up Subban as if that were any kind of valid comparison.

Sami got exactly the kind of contract he deserved. A bridge contract that gives him 2 more low/reasonable priced years to prove he deserves something bigger. I certainly hope he does (as long as the Ducks hang on to him. ;)).
I brought up Subban. Not to say that's what he could actually get. Because he signed a 2-year bridge deal while being more proven then Vatanen. Thus showing that 2.9 is a good amount more than he could get for a 2-year deal.

But my other comparables and prediction were around 1 million for a 2-year deal. Specifically Despres, Larsson, and Franson.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

Tsk tsk. And here I thought you could discern the difference between a theoretical discussion of what could happen (identified as such) vs a prediction. :p:

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Ah, but there were both. Unless you are saying all predictions are theoretical. ;)

I actually made exactly zero predictions. My contribution was to the what-ifs of how he might haggle and the relative leverage he might have while haggling, but there were no $ or even haggling desires mentioned. I in fact explicitly stated I had no idea what he wanted, and never addressed directly or obliquely what he deserved.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Ouch. Not proven enough for that kind of cap hit.

That being said I like Vatanen and he's clearly at least a good 3rd pairing guy.

So either Allen is gone or Etem starts in Norfok/one of the forwards is moved.

Edit: read the title wrong - thought it was $2.5M per year. I'm wrong ignore my post....

Last edited:

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Ouch. Not proven enough for that kind of cap hit.

That being said I like Vatanen and he's clearly at least a good 3rd pairing guy.

So either Allen is gone or Etem starts in Norfok/one of the forwards is moved.
Not proven enough for 1.26? Or are you thinking he got 2.5 per year?

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah I messed that up. Read the title wrong, thought it was per year....
I actually made the same mistake, but the title is correct in how it's phrased. It's just that usually AAV is used. I'll just add AAV in title to clarify.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
$1,250M and $1,275M - around $1,625M cap hit. He will score 10 goals, 30 assists, around 60 points :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad