Value of: Vatanen as a free agent

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
His shot hasn’t been the same since his shoulder surgery. It’s a shame because he was shaping up to be a 45-50 point Dman who can play in all situations.

I doubt he gets much term, I don’t think his game is going to age well and he’s never been known to take care of himself in the offseason. Maybe 4 years, $5M per year.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Lol, Vatanen was never going to be a defenseman you played in all situation.

He was always and is a defenseman you put on a third pair and the power play who could give you 40 ish points.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Lol, Vatanen was never going to be a defenseman you played in all situation.

He was always and is a defenseman you put on a third pair and the power play who could give you 40 ish points.

He's averaged over 21 mins per night for each of the past six seasons. Not sure what you're laughing at, after his first two years Vats definitely rounded into a top 4 D who can play in all situations - was every bit as effective on the PK as he was on the PP.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I think 4 years x 5 mil is a pretty fair deal and an accurate assessment. Can't really see him getting 6 from anyone, no matter how short the term. He would probably sign for less than 5 if somebody gave some crazy term like 6 years.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
He is a solid 2nd pairing DMan with a history of concussion problems. I still have not decided whether or not I want the Devils to commit to him longterm.

I think the IDEAL contract for him (from a team's point of view) would be something like 3 years, $5-6 million AAV

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
It depends on if he retakes some PP duty from people like Severson and Butcher this season. He was really good for the Devils in 17-18 but kinda meh last year.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
He's averaged over 21 mins per night for each of the past six seasons. Not sure what you're laughing at, after his first two years Vats definitely rounded into a top 4 D who can play in all situations - was every bit as effective on the PK as he was on the PP.

I followed the Ducks for his whole time there, I know what he is. He isn't who you want on the PK or playing your heavy defensive minutes. He can play top 4 minutes, doesn't mean that's what you should want or that he is one.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I followed the Ducks for his whole time there, I know what he is. He isn't who you want on the PK or playing your heavy defensive minutes. He can play top 4 minutes, doesn't mean that's what you should want or that he is one.
I have to disagree. He was one of the top minute eaters on what was a top ranked Anaheim PK. Hes has good positioning and stick work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad