Prospect Info: Vasili Podkolzin

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
He's talking about the 2 goals he's scored in 18 games playing for the U20 national team.

His 3 goals in 16 VHL games is also not eye popping though.

I dont like judging players on limited data but if the null hypothesis is that he can't produce then there's nothing there to show that it's wrong.

Agreed. Small samples can be frustrating to deal with, but it's all we have. Hopefully he has a strong 2nd half in the VHL, and answers some of our questions on production.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Points of interest.

1 - Podkolzin not play much time in the AHL. All Russians know to sign out clauses to run to Russia if they are assigned to the AHL. (tryamkin refused to report). They will get paid far more in Russia than they would in the AHL.

2 - He can sign at the end of his season next year. So he could join the team for their 2021 playoffs.

3 - He got top minutes for an 18 yr old with the Russian team. It speaks favorably. And he could easily have had 6 - 8 more points ... he somehow brought the best in goalies.

4 - all indications are that his game will translate to the NA game much better than somelike Goldobin's did.

5 - everyone thought that Hoglander was the driving force behind their team. How different the final might have been if he hadn't been booted, on a very marginal call for a major. I think he might make the team in 20 -21. Or at least get a call up or 2. (though he can run to the SEL if he signs a smart contract if he is assigned to the AHL).

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Dominating is probably the wrong word. If he was good enough to be taking a regular shift in the NHL right now, he would be playing regularly in the KHL and producing. And destroying teenagers.

You realize he was one of the younger players out there, and must of set up 25 good scoring chances.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
You realize he was one of the younger players out there, and must of set up 25 good scoring chances.

I agree that he looked good in the WJCs and that it is a bit perplexing that he isn't putting up more points. But at the same time, its never a great sign when one begins to count "almost points" as some are with Podz.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
5 points in 7 games as one of only three eighteen year olds on Russia. Not amazing but not bad either.
What were people’s expectations?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Pettersson has unfortunately raised the bar incredibly high for Canucks prospects. I think he played well overall.

I would say that Pod’s peers were his bar. Hoglander, Fagemo, Zegras, Soderstrom etc... all did well. Caufield struggled. Pod probably fits within that range: Not great, but not bad either.

Unfortunately, a top10 pick carries with it high expectations.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Exactly. People seem to forget that Pettersson only had one point in six games as an 18-year-old at the world juniors.

Pettersson also shredded every level he played at.

It would be nice to see Pod put some pucks in the net somewhere, under some context.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I find it hard to believe he could have cracked the Canucks this year, considering he has struggled to make even the KHL full time.
Probably could have, but would be better for his development not to, and for him to play next year or the one after

Like Kotkaniemi, he did make the team as a 18 year old, but wasnt better for his long term progress, but the Habs are a pack of morons so theres that

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
I would say that Pod’s peers were his bar. Hoglander, Fagemo, Zegras, Soderstrom etc... all did well. Caufield struggled. Pod probably fits within that range: Not great, but not bad either.

He did better than a lot of his peers

Bowen Bryam #4 OA
Alex Turcotte #5 OA
Philip Broberg #8OA
Cole Caufield 15OA

Guys like Hoglander and Fagemo aren't eligible for next year's tournament. They were 19-year-olds at a 19-year-old tournament

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Benning on Pod and Hoglander in the Vancouver Sun today:
• Vasili Podkolzin, the Canucks first-rounder from this summer, has another season on his deal in Russia but Jim Benning has a pretty good idea of where he’ll be playing the year after that.
“We’ll sign him and he’ll step right in and play,” the Canucks’ GM said. “He could play right now.”
Podkolzin played a feature rule for Russia at the WJC, finishing with a goal and five points in seven games. The best part? He’s still only 18.
And here’s Benning on Nils Hoglander, the 19-year-old who led Sweden with 11 points in seven games at the WJC: “He’s ahead of schedule.”

This is the Podkolzin thread, not the Juolevi thread from a half decade ago.

Try to stay on topic.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017

Man how good would Victor Soderstrom look in our system... sigh

He and Romonov were head a shoulders the best D in the WJC for me. Seider was close behind them.

Drafted #11 by Arizona. Looked amazing in both ends of the rink, and controlled the play every time he had the puck.

I think this is the players we might regret not selecting instead. I always thought Broberg was overrated and flawed for a top 10, but I kept reading of how Soderstrom was the best Swedish D in last draft by knowledgeable posters.

I still really like Pod though, and other than Soderstrom, I don't have major regret yet of the players picked shortly right after.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012

He and Romonov were head a shoulders the best D in the WJC for me. Seider was close behind them.

Drafted #11 by Arizona. Looked amazing in both ends of the rink, and controlled the play every time he had the puck.

I think this is the players we might regret not selecting instead. I always thought Broberg was overrated and flawed for a top 10, but I kept reading of how Soderstrom was the best Swedish D in last draft by knowledgeable posters.

I still really like Pod though, and other than Soderstrom, I don't have major regret yet of the players picked shortly right after.

Unless one has an anti leaf agenda i seen sandin as the best d man quite easily, unless one focuses on the one big goal he got beat on.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

I think you over overvaluing WJC

it’s too early, there’s nothing really that spectated these two at this point

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.

Podkolzin played PK minutes, net front presence goaltender on the PP and played on the 3rd line. Despite that, assisted on the game-winning goal to take Russia to the gold medal game, outproduced players ahead of him in the Russian line-up, who also play full-time in the KHL. If Podkolzin wasn't on SKA St. Petersburg, he would be producing well because of opportunity.

He's an elite prospect like Pettersson and Boeser. Look back at the 2019 draft and tell me how many players are trending up? Hughes, Kakko, and Dach are clearly not to an elite level like Tkachuks, Svechnikov, etc. You didn't mention Turcotte, Broberg, Byram, Cozens, and Seider. They had decent tournaments, but Podkolzin is probably the 3rd best prospect from the 2019 draft. He was ranked as such prior to the 2018-19 season, I think Canucks got a steal.

Of course players like Hoglander had fantastic tournaments, but all things considered for prospects, Podkolzin has the best overall package.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Seems apparent that Podkolzin and maybe even Hoglander will sign with the Canucks as early as the end of next season, and slot right into the NHL lineup. Going to create quite a logjam in the young forward group going forward.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Seems apparent that Podkolzin and maybe even Hoglander will sign with the Canucks as early as the end of next season, and slot right into the NHL lineup. Going to create quite a logjam in the young forward group going forward.
Miller Pettersson Hoglander
Podz Horvat Boeser
Lind Madden Gaudette
McDonaugh Beagle Virtanen

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Podkolzin played PK minutes, net front presence goaltender on the PP and played on the 3rd line. Despite that, assisted on the game-winning goal to take Russia to the gold medal game, outproduced players ahead of him in the Russian line-up, who also play full-time in the KHL. If Podkolzin wasn't on SKA St. Petersburg, he would be producing well because of opportunity.

He's an elite prospect like Pettersson and Boeser. Look back at the 2019 draft and tell me how many players are trending up? Hughes, Kakko, and Dach are clearly not to an elite level like Tkachuks, Svechnikov, etc. You didn't mention Turcotte, Broberg, Byram, Cozens, and Seider. They had decent tournaments, but Podkolzin is probably the 3rd best prospect from the 2019 draft. He was ranked as such prior to the 2018-19 season, I think Canucks got a steal.

Of course players like Hoglander had fantastic tournaments, but all things considered for prospects, Podkolzin has the best overall package.

:clap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad