Value of: Vasili Podkolzin as RFA next summer?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I mean he was ranked top 10 on a lot of pre-draft lists, if they reached on him then sure clown them.

I wanted Boldy myself but I don’t remember the Canucks getting much hate for the pick at the time.

I’d bet the vast majority of nhl teams had him ranked top 15

Yeah. There wasn't necessarily the strongest consensus at that point of the draft, but Podkolzin was pretty widely ranked somewhere within that range. It was generally seen as a totally reasonable pick. Not my preference personally, but not anywhere way out of left field or anything. Guys like Boldy, Newhook, Krebs all had plenty of their own concerns at the time as well.

There are also a ton of guys picked after him that have also done very little. Just a couple guys who have really done anything...which, you can make most drafts look bad by pointing out the biggest "steals" and standout picks from later in the round. Lots of teams make that "mistake" every year...because it's simply not reasonable to expect a team to select the best possible player with their 1st round picks every time without fail.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Podkolzin for Berggren?

I really don't see Berggren getting his "fresh start" under Tocchet. Just not the right type of player. Canucks also really don't need to be getting any smaller, certainly not any softer.

In value terms, it's probably roughly in the right ballpark for a "change of scenery" swap. The problem is, Canucks really need what Podkolzin could be, more than they need a Berggren type. So it doesn't really hold water.

Reactions: Raistlin

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I really don't see Berggren getting his "fresh start" under Tocchet. Just not the right type of player. Canucks also really don't need to be getting any smaller, certainly not any softer.

In value terms, it's probably roughly in the right ballpark for a "change of scenery" swap. The problem is, Canucks really need what Podkolzin could be, more than they need a Berggren type. So it doesn't really hold water.
I've maintained that he provides the sort of skillset that this pipeline needs, its a shame his offense is stagnating so far, but these type of guys always take longer than expected to breakout. So 10th overall is not exactly the best value provided, but the team will have no issue extending him, he is useful to the team in the long and short term, plus he's always been regarded as a high floor pick. Other than this one guy in the universe that hates and obsesses over him, there is no reason to not let him keep learning in a bottom 6 role until his next 2 year contract expires.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Every game... I'm kidding, not much, it's my opinion from the limited time I watched him. :popcorn:
he only ends up in the KHL if he wants to go back to Russia. He's exactly what a coach wants out of a player otherwise. Great work ethic, good defensively, hits, forechecks hard, just hasnt put up points. He will always have a home in the NHl as a 4th liner if he wants it.

Tocchet didnt even want to send him to the AHL to begin with,

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If the Canucks were to walk away from him, there are enough cap strapped teams that will need cheap talent, or budget rebuilding teams looking for a cheap find, that somebody would be interested in him. I think they could trade him for a mid round pick with little difficulty. Capfriendly has his QO at only 875K, and if that's true, its basically a risk-free gamble.

Reactions: Ana Crusis

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
He’s been really solid in this last call up. He’s hitting a ton, he looks leaner, a bit quicker and has had some flashes in the O zone that let you know he has some offensive instincts in him. Toch even had him on the other day in the last few mins w/ 9,40,43 etc trying to tie up a game.

“Power forward” types always take longer to develop, Tochett is the right guy for him. Agreed he gets 2x1M or something and we hope he develops into something more.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
He is playing really well right now, after doing the same thing, but Höglander did in the AHL, he is now a fixture on our roster.

He’s finally slowly starting to figure it out, I wouldn’t give up on him just yet, he’s playing great hockey

Reactions: GordieHowYaDoin

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I wonder if he's the kind of guy that Montreal might target at the draft, the thought being he could be given more ice time in Montreal than on a contender, who can't afford to give a raise since cap room is always tight on contenders.

Offer would be centered on Winnipeg's 1st.

Reactions: malcb33 and Dutronc

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Every game... I'm kidding, not much, it's my opinion from the limited time I watched him. :popcorn:
The fact that he hasn't broken out yet but 99% of our fanbase and entire management and his teammates all love him should tell you and others who don't see him how he's doing.

He's a dog on the puck and the opposition and a couple of times a game he does something that shows off his tools and IQ. I think he breaks out in a big way but even if he doesn't he will be a great 3rd liner at worst.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Broberg, turcotte, among other 2019ers struggling to find their role in the nhl. There’s really no need for something like this since I can easily find at least 20 top 10 prospects that have struggled just a bad. It does to show drafting is easy as we think even with a high pick.
agree with this post. However Turcotte is 100% due to injuries. A lot of which are on him and how he plays.
Broberg, I was surprised was not moved by Edmonton as he seems to be buried on the depth chart there.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
He'll get the same 1x2 deal Hoglander is currently on. There's absolutely zero reason we wouldn't re-sign him. At worst, he's a solid depth player who plays well along the boards. Good 3rd-4th liner on a cheap deal. Could do a lot worse.

On the extremely rare chance we do give up on him. I imagine a good number of teams will offer him a comparably "prove it" contract. Especially teams like Chicago, Montreal, San Jose, Detroit and the like. Basically, teams just wanting warm bodies with some trade upside (Chicago, San Jose) or cheap depth (Montreal, Detroit)

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Broberg, turcotte, among other 2019ers struggling to find their role in the nhl. There’s really no need for something like this since I can easily find at least 20 top 10 prospects that have struggled just a bad. It does to show drafting is easy as we think even with a high pick.
Boldly and Caufield were the forwards taken right after Pod. The Canucks make drafting look hard.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
He'll be re-signed. This would be an ideal player to gamble on and offer a cheap longterm deal to like 6 years @ $1.75 million a year. I think he tops out as a Trenin type player. 3rd line physical 30 points a year.

• Love
Reactions: lawrence

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Yeah. There wasn't necessarily the strongest consensus at that point of the draft, but Podkolzin was pretty widely ranked somewhere within that range. It was generally seen as a totally reasonable pick. Not my preference personally, but not anywhere way out of left field or anything. Guys like Boldy, Newhook, Krebs all had plenty of their own concerns at the time as well.

There are also a ton of guys picked after him that have also done very little. Just a couple guys who have really done anything...which, you can make most drafts look bad by pointing out the biggest "steals" and standout picks from later in the round. Lots of teams make that "mistake" every year...because it's simply not reasonable to expect a team to select the best possible player with their 1st round picks every time without fail.
I feel the same. recently I've been looking at the top 10 drafts over the years, and man, I'm surprised at how many busts are there in the drafted in the top 10 range EVERY YEAR. I mean every year, for example, Puljujarvi and Juolevi in the 2016 draft, previous to 2019 Barret Hayton (5th) Kotkaniemi (3rd) guys haven't done much, Zadina, (6th) Kravtsov (9th) Broberg, and the list goes on and on. even drafting in the top 10 doesn't guarantee you anything cause it seems like in every draft some players will outright fail to live up to the expectations of the drafted position.

that being said, Podz has been ok. I can't expect him to be asking for much either based on his performance. He knows it, his agency knows it, we will sign him and let's hope his game improves.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Too much of a KHL flight risk to give too much in reclamation project hope.

I feel the same. recently I've been looking at the top 10 drafts over the years, and man, I'm surprised at how many busts are there in the drafted in the top 10 range EVERY YEAR. I mean every year, for example, Puljujarvi and Juolevi in the 2016 draft, previous to 2019 Barret Hayton (5th) Kotkaniemi (3rd) guys haven't done much, Zadina, (6th) Kravtsov (9th) Broberg, and the list goes on and on. even drafting in the top 10 doesn't guarantee you anything cause it seems like in every draft some players will outright fail to live up to the expectations of the drafted position.
Yes, it's a virtual guarantee which is why HFBoards in the prospect board play the time honored tradition of "guess the bust" every year (which can get annoying/toxic for what it's worth)

Reactions: lawrence

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Podkolzin is already a bottom six forward in terms of what he will contribute for us. Anything more than that as far as progression is welcomed, but I want to echo that the OP speaks for no one but himself concerning Podkolzins future here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad