Varly Appreciation Thread

Kitchen Sink

Jul 13, 2011
Ohio
I hope he signs a 2-4 year contract out east and then comes back to Colorado afterwards as a backup while we're still contending.

Going to miss him and i'll be rooting for him wherever he goes (please no Central).

Reactions: Foppa2118 and MarkT

AvsFanInMichigan

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!”
Apr 16, 2018
Michigan
I've always loved goalies and I was a big fan of Varly when he was with the caps. He was always a player I said I wanted on the Avs and then when they traded for him I was so excited. He was a great goalie for us and has been on our team for a lot of tough years and he's always tried his best. It's a bummer injuries kept him away from continuing on his dominant 2013-14 season.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It really sucks that he probably won't be around as the team in front of him finally materialized into something worth watching.

That's the part that sucks. Given the way he and Grubauer finished the season, and Francouz's year in the minors, it's clearly time to move on, but Varly gave so much the team. Both physically and emotionally.

Injuries were always what kept him from being an elite and consistent goaltender. There's no way to tell, but I really believe that playing such an athletic style, for such terrible teams that gave up so many great scoring chances, contributed to a lot of those injuries.

To be the guy that stood on his head to bail out those awful teams and brutal defensive cores, and not get to take part in the team's success as they finally become a competitive team is a bit of a bummer.

Best of luck Varly! Hope you can find a role on a team you feel comfortable with. As long as it's not against the Avs, I hope you win a Cup somehow.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Remember when we got dominated by Boston and Varly was phenomenal, I think it was his first, or second season with the Avs. I thought he was the answer. Always had that crazy athleticism.

I wish Varly nothing, but the best. Dude was a good soldier for us.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Remember when we got dominated by Boston and Varly was phenomenal, I think it was his first, or second season with the Avs. I thought he was the answer. Always had that crazy athleticism.

I wish Varly nothing, but the best. Dude was a good soldier for us.

In the 1st game of the season in that game in Boston?

arun

Click here to hide this advertisement
Jun 23, 2016
Holland
Colorado aVarlynche!

Love this dude. If they let him go, I hope he’ll move to a nice team, he deserves it

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
Was never a big fan of him. Thought he was hugely overrated by most fans on the Avs boards. Good luck to him in the future though

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
I loved watching Varly play. He has a unique style that is very fun to see. I'm very sad to see him go (if he does). I wish nothing but the best for him in the future.

Just go out East, please. I want to continue to enjoy watching him play.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'll always have mixed feelings about Semyon Varlamov. In hindsight, the trade wasn't worth it, but I think it would've been better had Sherman not completely ruined the defense before Varly even played a single shift. There just didn't seem to be a plan beyond flipping a potentially very high first rounder for him. In short, it had the potential of being a good deal for the Avs, but they just completely botched it.

He only had one absolutely dominant season for the Avs. Injuries kept him from really realizing his potential. We can say "best starter since Roy," and that would undoubtedly be a correct assertion, but that IMO says way more about how poorly the Avs have handled the goaltending position than it does his greatness. Glad they're moving on.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Very good goalie.

I remember being really unsure of him when Sherman pulled off the trade. Colorado had just finished dead last in the NHL, and here the Avalanche were trading a 1st round pick for a guy who had just been overtaken in Washington.

Unfortunately for Varly, he had to carry some very bad teams to mediocrity, playing goal behind some of the crappiest, patched together defenses imaginable.

The only bad thing I'll say about him is he did not handle pressure well. I shudder when thinking about the 2013-2014 playoffs, particularly Games 1 & 7.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad