Varly Appreciation Thread

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
So...it's all but confirmed. Varly has played his last game as an Av. Use this thread as an outlet to express your gratitude to the undisputed second-greatest goaltender in Avalanche history.

---

Thank you, Varly. You deserved that Vezina.

QrBsM9F.gif

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I think it's a massive shame that injuries and some inconsistent play prevented Varly from being the undisputed starter here until age forced him to give up the crease. With his skill level and competitive attitude he certainly has what it takes to be that player. I think when we look back at Varly's time with the Avs with sadness because of what might have been. I sincerely hope he achieves success wherever he ends up.

I think he cemented his place in my heart when during pre-season interviews, all the other players were talking about "taking the next step" meaning making the playoffs and getting past the first round. Varly was the only one I saw who bluntly said that anything less than winning the cup is a failure. That's why I'm sad we'll probably never see him take this team to the finals - he belongs there.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Easily the second highest goaltender to etch his name in Colorado Avalanche history.

Some wonderful performances in his prime while being stuck behind some absolutely woeful defensemen.

Thank you for everything and best of luck wherever you end up.

Stay healthy and happy, Steve.

semyon-varlamov-salutes-crowd.gif

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
He is one of the main three reasons I started following the Avs on a daily basis from just having it as my "childhood team I guess because of Foppa"

The drafting of Landeskog and trading for Varly and EJ who were two of my favourite up and coming players in the league.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Hopefully Varly goes somewhere, regains his form and stays healthy, just not to a central team.

Great goalie and a great guy!

Reactions: MarkT and McMetal

Avs44

May 16, 2011
When he was "on" he was truly something special to watch...definitely time for the franchise to move on, and it really sucks the club in front of Varly couldn't accomplish anything while he was at his best, but I hope he ends up in a good place, stays healthy, and does well. He was a bright spot in some pretty bad years...tough not to love the guy and what he brought.

Reactions: klozge and MarkT

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Very good goalie but his complete lack of puckhandling skill was a real detriment. His constant useless freezing of pucks almost drove me mad.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I really hate it when a likeable player such as Varly gets traded or let go when the team finally starts being successful after many years struggling. Unfortunately for him though it is time to move on. Thanks for the memories. You are so far the second best goalie to ever wear and Avs jersey. Good luck wherever you go.

Reactions: 5280 and MarkT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad