Varlamov/Johnson out for the rest of season

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Losing your starting goalie and your #1D in the same day is never good. That's rough news.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Seems like here has been a relay of injuries the last three months. Whenever one key player get healthy, another one goes down the next game. Barrie, EJ, Varlamov, Bernier, Mackinnon.

Just one of those years.

Reactions: Oxymoron

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Damn, that's too bad. Second consecutive season for Varlamov ended by serious injury, correct?

Always thought Johnson was a decent defenseman, you just never heard/hear much about him, it seems.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Unfortunately injury concerns are going to be a common recurring issue for the Avs and Erik Johnson going forward.

He seems to miss at least 3-4 weeks every season with injuries and on the wrong side of 30, that's likely only going to get worse.

He's a great Dman when he's healthy and he can eat a tonne of minutes, but the health part is the problem. Fortunately we're not in the same situation we were in previous years where we've had absolutely nobody able to replace him when he's went down. Between Barrie and Zadorov this year they've both done a great job stepping up in EJs absence last time around, and Girard did a good job stepping up into a middle pairing role after that.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Tough break for the Avs, I believe they are in the top 5 or 6 teams in terms of man games lost this season. Only the Blues and Ducks are in the same territory with man games lost (may have more) and are still in the playoff hunt.

On the other hand, this has become a trend with these two players. Of course, the play that injured Varlamov last game and Johnson the game before would have resulted in long term injuries to most players.

In terms of CHIP (cap hit of injured players) they are middle of the pack.

The Jets, Bruins, Knights and Ducks amongst playoff teams have had it much worse.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
One more year and the Avs can move on.

Screen Shot 2018-03-31 at 4.56.31 PM.png

This doesn't include all the knee and groin stuff pre-2014.

Last edited:

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
MacKinnon needs to learn how to keep his teammates healthy if he wants to be MVP. Really selfish of him to be healthy.

Reactions: BrickAHL

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Color me shocked, Varlamov is injured. Bigger story would be if he was healthy and ready to help his team.
You're not wrong, his body is starting to break down more and more. However, the play that injured Varlamov yesterday would have injured any goaler in the league.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
You're not wrong, his body is starting to break down more and more. However, the play that injured Varlamov yesterday would have injured any goaler in the league.

I saw it, point is/was you just can't count on him to be there when you need him.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
In terms of CHIP (cap hit of injured players) they are middle of the pack.

The Jets, Bruins, Knights and Ducks amongst playoff teams have had it much worse.

Really? Interesting.

The Avs have had the following injuries:

Nathan MacKinnon $6.3 M AAV - 8 games lost

Erik Johnson - $6 M AAV - 20 games lost by the end of the season

Semyon Varlamov - $5.9 M AAV - Likely at least 10 starts lost as a result of injuries, perhaps more,

Tyson Barrie - $5.5 M AAV - 14 games lost

Colin Wilson - $4.25 M AAV - $3.97 M AAV - likely around 27 games lost

I would be curious to see the names and AAVs of the teams ahead of Colorado, just based on the AAVs noted above. I personally believe that CHIP can be a misleading statistic, much in the same way that some of the advance statistics are thrown around.

Vegas for instance, kind of pushes the limits of credibility as far as I am concerned.

In any event, I do not view any injuries as an excuse, it simply part of the game. The Avs are not a deep organization and they have to be accountable for the end results of that in the event of injuries.

I personally do not feel like the Avs are truly a playoff team this year or really should be.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Mackinnon is the guy who's only point in the last 4 games was a PP assist vs a bottom feeder while his team fell out of a playoff spot?

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Really? Interesting.

The Avs have had the following injuries:

Nathan MacKinnon $6.3 M AAV - 8 games lost

Erik Johnson - $6 M AAV - 20 games lost by the end of the season

Semyon Varlamov - $5.9 M AAV - Likely at least 10 starts lost as a result of injuries, perhaps more,

Tyson Barrie - $5.5 M AAV - 14 games lost

Colin Wilson - $4.25 M AAV - $3.97 M AAV - likely around 27 games lost

I would be curious to see the names and AAVs of the teams ahead of Colorado, just based on the AAVs noted above. I personally believe that CHIP can be a misleading statistic, much in the same way that some of the advance statistics are thrown around.

Vegas for instance, kind of pushes the limits of credibility as far as I am concerned.

In any event, I do not view any injuries as an excuse, it simply part of the game. The Avs are not a deep organization and they have to be accountable for the end results of that in the event of injuries.

I personally do not feel like the Avs are truly a playoff team this year or really should be.

I took it from here:
NHL Injury Viz: 2017/18 team injury breakdowns (through 24 March)

Not sure they have the names listed but I know the Bruins have missed Bergeron, Chara, McAvoy, Backes, Nash for long stretches among many others.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
That's pretty horrible news but..

Bernier is still a solid goalie. Avs can make it without Varlamov.

Yep. Can't 'replace' the guys lost but I could sure see the Avs rallying with wounded-animal syndrome. Be a fatal mistake to take them lightly. The engine is still there.

You expected different from a Kings fan?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad