Line Combos: Vanek/Tavares/ Okposo vs Kessel

simbo042

Apr 24, 2013
Newcastle, UK
Curious, but why do you hate Kessel? He isn't really my type of player but I admire heck of the guy. Imagine the challenge of hoping from one high pressure original six team to the hockey hotbed of the world, he had all the attention in the city focused on him because of what the Leafs gave up, and then he came through.

Say what you want about Kessel but he is a player with tons of mental toughness.

Agreed. Those Canadian markets eat players for breakfast, he took that pressure and dealt with it incredibly well. Do you think he could have been even better in a less intense environment or did the pressure spur him on?

Jot

Mar 10, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Hehe, i totally forgot about this thread. Seems like 2/3 of the islander fans rather have Okposo.

Well heres my 2 cents on Kessel.

Kessel's a player that has to have the puck on his stick, our top 5 PP is run through him. He makes the decisions to pass or shoot. It works well for him, he gets free reign to do what he feels like in the offensive zone. He a very good playmaker, and shooter. He has a really hard slap shot, yet he never uses it. Incredible off the rush, you'll see him always rush the puck into the zone with speed, defenders will back off, and he'll find the trailing man.

And the coach somehow has gotten him to back check. No seriously, Kessel back checks, alot. :amazed: It isn't a Hossa picture perfect takeaway, but he definitely disrupts the play and helps out with his presence. Stopping odd man rushes from happening by joining the play.

Also, i view Kessel and P.Kane to be near equals. Rest of HF see's Kane as a clear upgrade on Kessel. If this question was changed from Kessel to Kane, would your answer change?

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Take Okoposo out of that line and insert Kessel and you have the softest line in the NHL. Almost as bad as the Sedin sisters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad