Line Combos: Vanek/Tavares/ Okposo vs Kessel

Jot

Mar 10, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
A veteran islanders fan claimed that.
Okposo is a better fit for the isles, given money, established chemistry with JT, more complete game, etc.
I would not trade Okposo for Kessel because I don't think he would fit as well. I'm 100% confident that every single Islander fan on this board would agree. We all would prefer Okposo partially for that reason
I'm quite skeptical on this fact, and i then asked.
I would like to see which other islanders fans share your opinion on the matter. Preferably ones not on your friends list.

Vanek/Tavares/Okposo vs Vanek/Tavares/Kessel

Which line would be more productive?
10 hours later, no replies to the above question. So in the interest of time, i thought I'd directly ask you guys your opinion.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Cannot say I watch Kessel enough to vote so ill abstain... That being said I do love Kyle's "bull in a china shop" mentality an his incredible strength along the boards... While Kessel would provide a speedier wing with a deadly shot from what I understand... I could see an argument for either quite frankly... Just in terms of contract talk Okposo wins I think but in a vaccuum I'm not sure

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I mean, I would probably trade Kessel for Okposo but I would rather have Okposo playing with JT than Kessel.

Just because a player has more value than another, doesn't mean he will perform as better.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Kessel is a better player and i would rather have him, but Okposo works perfectly on that line, I would actually rather Kessel anchoring a second line.

I would rank them

Tavares

Kessel
Okposo
Vanek

And You Feel Shame

Jul 31, 2007
In a vacuum, I take Kessel, but we are not in a vacuum. Okposo is playing up to the potential that we'd all hoped to see when he was drafted in 2006. He represents the first piece of the current core, so there's some extra satisfaction that we, as fans, see in his performance in last years playoffs and this season's success. He's shown solid chemistry with several linemates in that time, but his game and Tavares' seem to compliment one another very well this season, especially with Vanek.

I'd have a tough time giving up Okposo for these reasons, but there is no doubt that Kessel has shown more on a career and is the more valuable asset.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Okposo is FINALLY hitting his stride this season. Not that Kessel isn't better but JT works better with a guy that fights in the corners like Okposo. I don't watch Kessel enough though so I won't vote.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Tavares would be far better with speed on his wings and with his passing, and Kessel's finishing, watch-out.

Tavares has never been blessed with good wingers, before this year. And let's not forget it took JT-KO A LONG TIME to get used to one another - that was always a forced combination when it was tried previously.

Frankly, I'd split them up. The way Okposo's playing, he can be really effective in helping the secondary scoring, that the Islanders desperately need.

Anyway, I choose Kessel.

I watch almost every Islanders game and every Leafs game (Isles when there's a conflict) and Kessel is a very good hockey player. I liked that trade (from the Leafs' side) when it happened and since. Kessel gets a lot of undeserved flack (less so this year) but he can really play.

JT-Kessel would be a deadly combo.

Mind you, JT can play with anyone, any style. We'll see that in the Olympics. I predict he's play LW with Getzlaf-Perry (two big players without much speed, but tenacious down low.)

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
With Vanek on the left, I'd put Okposo on the right. He keeps plays going with his ability to win seemingly every battle on the boards.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Tavares can adapt his game to play with anyone, but he has long term chemistry with Okposo. KO does a lot of the heavy lifting and that takes a big burden off of JT. They both play a lacrosse puck possession style and it's impossible to get them off the puck. It's taken a while, but they are the engines that drive the top line. Kessel is a great talent, but I wouldn't mess with what we've got.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I'd keep Okposo, simply because he represents the only degree of muscle/grit the Isles have in the top 6. Take that away, and you have the softest team in the league by far.

simbo042

Apr 24, 2013
Newcastle, UK
In a vacuum, I take Kessel, but we are not in a vacuum. Okposo is playing up to the potential that we'd all hoped to see when he was drafted in 2006. He represents the first piece of the current core, so there's some extra satisfaction that we, as fans, see in his performance in last years playoffs and this season's success. He's shown solid chemistry with several linemates in that time, but his game and Tavares' seem to compliment one another very well this season, especially with Vanek.

I'd have a tough time giving up Okposo for these reasons, but there is no doubt that Kessel has shown more on a career and is the more valuable asset.

I would say the exact same. For me the emotional attachment to Okposo put him ahead of Kessel, we watched him grow, now we can enjoy his performance first hand as fans! But I wouldn't say no to having both on the team,Kessel is a great player.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
id prob take kessel, but i am absolutely ecstatic with the way KO has been playing

everyone here has to admit that on the big ice, its kessel, no brainer ;)

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Obviously Kessel is better. He made the Olympic team.
:handclap:

I'd keep Okposo, simply because he represents the only degree of muscle/grit the Isles have in the top 6. Take that away, and you have the softest team in the league by far.

I hate the way Snow has built this team. Why not build like the Bruins, Kings, Blues, Ducks? Get some size and tenacity and a team that can play defensively, protect leads. It's part coaching but it's largely personnel.

I'm the first guy to rave about waiver-guy-Hickey, who I still think is probably the best defenseman on the team. But how many under-sized dmen does a team need at the NHL level? Or forwards that are not only small, but also don't work hard enough, don't finish/initiate checks AND don't SCORE!

It's a very poorly built team that's both soft and untalented. Perpetually waiting for the "prospects" to develop. Ignoring the harsh reality of the situation year after year after year. Pathetic.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
There are so many different ways to look at this.

Most would agree that Phil is the better Player.

They do play very different games though.

Would Tor Trade a Guy like Phil for Kyle straight up. Most likely no.

That does not mean that KO "could " be a better Fit with JT.

There are way to many Variables in a talk like this. As a Islander Fan i would rather keep KO since he started here.

However it is very Possible that Phil and JT would play just well if not better.

we are all just guessing in reality here. As a fan i would want Kyle. However on Paper Phil "looks" better

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
Put this post on the leafs board and they will have mostly the same Response and prefer Phill

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, do any of you think Okposo has experienced a decline in his defensive game since the offensive breakthrough? There was a time when he was the defensive conscience on that line. Some of you are picking up on how his wrecking crew offensive style complements JT. Which, I agree, makes him a better fit than a Kessel pure talent type. But, he is no longer going to be the first guy back on a counterattack.

I am starting to wonder if that line needs a defensive stud. I am not saying that KO is not solid on his own end. But, in his post injury days, points were not his highest priority. That is not who he is now. Vanek is not exactly Bob Gainey either, which is part of the problem.

This is why I think that line needs Brock Nelson.

Beastrt

Jun 14, 2011
Put this post on the leafs board and they will have mostly the same Response and prefer Phill

And with good reason. Kessel has 5 30 goal seasons in the last 6 years only 20 goals last year because of the 48 game season, i hate Kessel but okposo has to do this again before i even consider him.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
And with good reason. Kessel has 5 30 goal seasons in the last 6 years only 20 goals last year because of the 48 game season, i hate Kessel but okposo has to do this again before i even consider him.

Curious, but why do you hate Kessel? He isn't really my type of player but I admire heck of the guy. Imagine the challenge of hoping from one high pressure original six team to the hockey hotbed of the world, he had all the attention in the city focused on him because of what the Leafs gave up, and then he came through.

Say what you want about Kessel but he is a player with tons of mental toughness.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
:handclap:

I hate the way Snow has built this team. Why not build like the Bruins, Kings, Blues, Ducks? Get some size and tenacity and a team that can play defensively, protect leads. It's part coaching but it's largely personnel.

I'm the first guy to rave about waiver-guy-Hickey, who I still think is probably the best defenseman on the team. But how many under-sized dmen does a team need at the NHL level? Or forwards that are not only small, but also don't work hard enough, don't finish/initiate checks AND don't SCORE!

It's a very poorly built team that's both soft and untalented. Perpetually waiting for the "prospects" to develop. Ignoring the harsh reality of the situation year after year after year. Pathetic.

Are you saying size matters?

My girlfriend lied to me! :help:

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I am starting to wonder if that line needs a defensive stud. I am not saying that KO is not solid on his own end. But, in his post injury days, points were not his highest priority. That is not who he is now. Vanek is not exactly Bob Gainey either, which is part of the problem.

This is why I think that line needs Brock Nelson.

I think Nelson is adequate defensively, but I think it's far fetched to label him a "defensive stud".

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
I think Nelson is adequate defensively, but I think it's far fetched to label him a "defensive stud".

Just to clarify, I don't think Nelson is that guy yet - but I do think he can be.

There have been a few nights this year where the Tavares line was on the ice for a lot of goals against. Vanek, for all his talent, is not a speedy skater and not much of a backchecker. JT is a lot better defensively than he is getting credit for, but his office is in front and behind the net. He is not going to be the safety guy who is quick to peel back (nor should he be).

I do believe that KO has the size and innate defensive sense to play that role, but as his offensive game has rounding out, he seems to be going in a different direction with his skillset.

I think JT needs big strong wingers who are defensively aware.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Now that I think of it, it is closer than I ever would have thought. If Okposo were more physical in the sense of hitting, he would get my choice.
Kessel is a phenomenal player who may not work well with JT. He has great speed and lateral movement, and an incredible release/shot, but he loves to carry the puck through the neutral zone by himself, not wait for set up passes from his center. He's a better passer than KO also.
I would take Kessel by a small margin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad