TBN: Vanek, Miller want to talk with Regier about future; team misused Poms (on the PP)

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres...-with-sabres-ott-named-alternate-captain.html

Thomas Vanek knew big changes were coming once Sabres General Manager Darcy Regier said he was listening to offers on all his players.

"It hasn’t happened in the past. I'm sure there were talks but never publicly," Buffalo's leading scorer said today after taking Jason Pominville to the airport to join his new team, Minnesota. "Now with Jason gone, that obviously sends a message that change is happening."

Regier said the rebuilding process could take years. Vanek and Ryan Miller have one year left on their contracts, so they're eager to sit down with the GM and hear his plan.

"You just regroup and figure out what the plan is moving forward, if you're part of it or not," Miller said after practice in First Niagara Center. "That’s something you guys have to talk to Darcy about. It’s something I haven’t had a chance to talk to him about and certainly something I can’t speculate on because I’ve never known what Darcy’s going to do.

"I have to talk to Darcy about it. This is obviously something that hasn’t been planned out.

"We’ll just see where everything falls, talk to Darcy about what his plan is and how I’m going to fit into it or what’s going on because these aren’t conversations we’ve had time to have. Probably given that the trade deadline has come and gone now, I don’t know if we’ll have a chance to talk about it till after the season."

Vanek said earlier this week he wouldn't want to be part of a long-term rebuilding process. He reiterated that's probably the case.

"First of all, it’s not even up to me," Vanek said. "I haven’t talked to them about anything. It’s hard to say yes or no because no one has let me know what direction this is heading. Again, we’ll finish the year out and I’m sure at least I would expect them to let me know what the future is with myself."

everyone LOOOOOOOVES....MARINELANDDDDD.

To me, Vanek seems like he's backtracking a bit, saying something like "tell me if I'm in the plans, how so," etc...

Miller...not sure

Separately, some insight on the PP:

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres...rmer-captains-earlier-statements.html?ref=brp
re: Pominville
"In my mind, he’s playing power play on the point, where he’s not even the most effective with his shot," Miller said today while discussing the trade of his longtime friend and teammate. "They have him there because he’s responsible, and he’s a guy who can make passes, make plays. He’s not always going to be the guy getting the goal, not always going to be the guy getting the trigger. He was on the power play to make sure everything’s going to be smooth in that area of the ice.

"I would argue that I want him close to the net. So he sucks it up, does what he has to do, doesn’t complain, doesn’t say anything. Just does his job.

"That’s the unfortunate part. Those are the kind of guys you want, and we haven’t been able to keep them lately."

Nice zinger re: bolded...

but it clears it up as to why we tried the same ineffective thing over and over...he's the safest option. QUITE THE SLIGHT on the other defensemen on the team IMO

Last edited:

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I take that all at face value. Obvious statements, no hidden message. Anyone would want to know what the future holds for them, especially those two. I don't seen any pending controversy.

And the comment about adding a extra piece or so, when they were close before, is face value too. Not necessarily an indictment of GMDR; perhaps even an inference it wasn't possible under BTG/LQ.

In short, no news here (at least to me).

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Backtracking from what?

This seems pretty straightforward. Both want to know what the plan is going forward and how they fit in it.

It went from something like "not wanting to be here for a rebuild" to "let me see where, if at all, I fall into the plans" almost putting the onus on the team, and not himself.

That's all.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Have thought all along that a captaincy position would be what keeps Vanek here.

I think going forward Regier wants Vanek to be a part of the team. It will be up to him in the end.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Have thought all along that a captaincy position would be what keeps Vanek here.

I think going forward Regier wants Vanek to be a part of the team. It will be up to him in the end.

Isn't it still, technically up to Vanek? Regardless of what's said, or even what's offered, it's ultimately Vanek's choice as to whether or not he inks any potential extension, or if he hits the market.

I guess, in the sense of dealing Vanek before contract status is up, it's in Regier's hands...if that's what you meant..

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
In my opinion the right to finally be a ufa and at least wonder and explore his options will be too much.

I could see BOTH of them leaving or possibly moved on or before the next deadline.

If I were them I would leave too. I'd feel torn leaving, but I'd want a cup and I would take a slight discount with a true contender in a bigger city to do it.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
but it clears it up as to why we tried the same ineffective thing over and over...he's the safest option. QUITE THE SLIGHT on the other defensemen on the team IMO

That's totally not true at all. We've given up 6 short-handed goals -- most in the league. And Poms is terrible at keeping the puck in the zone on the PP. If he's there for "safety" that's insane. I think he's there because of his shot - which hasn't worked either. He's got 1 PP goal and 5 PPA, which is pretty bad considering he leads BUF in PP TOI.

Bottom line is that our PP sucks this year and Poms was one of the reasons for that.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Along with that we could see unprecedented return at the deadline next year for them. Especially vanek.
It all depends on moves that happen this summer. Lots to think about for miller vanek Darcy and pegula!!

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
That's totally not true at all. We've given up 6 short-handed goals -- most in the league. And Poms is terrible at keeping the puck in the zone on the PP. If he's there for "safety" that's insane. I think he's there because of his shot - which hasn't worked either. He's got 1 PP goal and 5 PPA, which is pretty bad considering he leads BUF in PP TOI.

Bottom line is that our PP sucks this year and Poms was one of the reasons for that.

IMO our defense on the #1 pp unit should be Rej and hoff. Meyers if he got his **** together.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
That thing about Vanek not wanting to be around for a long-term rebuild scares me a bit. Of the three, he's the guy I want to keep around.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA

That was so ****ing sarcastic on my part I'm shocked you didn't take it as anything but

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
And....who is Miller referring to when he says we haven't been able to keep those kinds of players? Pominville didn't willingly walk out. Goose, either. Chris Drury?

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Phrases that cross my mind ....

Looking for a story when it's only a sentence.

Mountain out of molehill

Don't sweat the small stuff

Not worth getting your panties in a twist

Much ado about nothing

Make an elephant out of a mosquito

Keep your knickers on

Don't get your diaper twisted

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
It went from something like "not wanting to be here for a rebuild" to "let me see where, if at all, I fall into the plans" almost putting the onus on the team, and not himself.

That's all.

Anyone besides me thinking he might be wondering about the captaincy? I obviously can't read Vanek's mind or anything, but I wonder if -- now that Pommer's gone -- putting the C on Vanek might entice him to stay.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Anyone besides me thinking he might be wondering about the captaincy? I obviously can't read Vanek's mind or anything, but I wonder if -- now that Pommer's gone -- putting the C on Vanek might entice him to stay.

I personally don't think that has much merit in terms of figuring out your long term future.

Part of me thinks he wants to just leave the city, he had his tenure here and wants fresh horizons, or waters, what have you...

But...there's a larger part of me, that keeps growing by the minute, that says we might want to pitch to him the idea of being "the vet that stabilizes everything", the highest priced player, the offensive focus...

...then i remember how beat up he gets.... and I'm torn

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES

Is he a better leader than ott or possibly even coho?

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Ooooh. My bad. Should have caught that. I'm slipping over here.

Yeah... you put Pominville on the point because he's the safest option (two coaches)...

the team gives up a ridiculous # of shorties...

you remove one of your best snapshots and slapshots from a point or area of threat

you slight the 5 other defensemen on the roster not named after a religion and say that they're liabilities on the point while we've got an extra attacker on the ice?

it's almost offensive to the fans...

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
I personally don't think that has much merit in terms of figuring out your long term future.

Part of me thinks he wants to just leave the city, he had his tenure here and wants fresh horizons, or waters, what have you...

But...there's a larger part of me, that keeps growing by the minute, that says we might want to pitch to him the idea of being "the vet that stabilizes everything", the highest priced player, the offensive focus...

...then i remember how beat up he gets.... and I'm torn[/QUOTE]

Cause our genius coach(s) put him in front of the net :sarcasm:

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I really can't see any way Miller is here beyond next season. Even going into next season it seems unlikely he'll be here. Vanek doesn't really sound thrilled to stay, either.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Cause our genius coach(s) put him in front of the net :sarcasm:
:laugh: don't get me started!!

you think they viewed Boyes in that light, after a year and a month of being his teammate?

I certainly view him as such...maybe they did. But it's not like we tried OH SO HARD to keep Brad Boyes in the picture...we wanted nothing to do with him, and neither did the rest of the league, as indicated by his 1yr/1M$ contract inked with.....the Islanders...

cry me a rivs, Taylor Swiller

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad