Post-Game Talk (GBU): Vanek = God

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Scott played a role, you just refuse to admit it.

But lets not fight, lets hug. :D

Our stud scorer did his thing as did our man mountain :yo:

Agreed. You got have your pit bull on the bench. Not sure why w didn't have one after Peters. It's like a nuke deterrent. Needed one on some level but it's not why your economy gets going. If you have only the nuke you're North Korea.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The Good -

- Got to see most of it despite work and family stuff, just not here.
- Vanek was superior. Less gazing at the rafters, more calm confidence.
- Scott-Thornton setting up that last shift timeout. Julian popping his goon line out at the end of a game would be something I would expect -- having guys to respond with rather than just letting them take a poke at the skill guys was a nice change.
- Miller in the third.

The Bad -

- Leo can't handle that many minutes. I didn't mind Myers last night (or against Toronto) nearly as much as the chronic bad decisions from Leopold. Poor lines to the puck, fishing with his stick, dubious passing decisions.

The Ugly -

- Illness. Work. Meh.

RattleYourSabre

Jan 12, 2013
Great:
-Thomas Vanek's pass to Ennis was a thing of beauty
-Thomas Vanek in general
-VHP Line - Hogsdon creates a lot of opportunities and Vanek and Pominville do a good job finishing

Good:
-Ryan Miller made big saves when we needed them
-Ehrhoff
-Sulzer after slow start...
-John Scott's beatdown on Thornton

Bad:
-Myers and Leopold allowing Marchand to skate through both of them and put one past Miller.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Oh, Leo was way worse.
But Myers still looked slow and weak... Marchand goal? Weak.

I saw Myers twice while he was playing in the EBEL league, and he was far from dominating on the ice - if anything, he was barely ever among the best skaters in a league which is incomparably weaker than the NHL.
I put it down to the big ice and maybe him being wary of injuries, etc.
But I'm starting to think that he might simply never be the defenseman we thought he'd develop into in his rookie year.

Myers got toasted on that play for sure, but I was half-watching the game replay on MSG and was wondering if he perhaps sold out hard on an aggressive attempt to stop the play at the wall knowing Leopold had the center of the ice? Pure speculation and I don't necessarily put much stock in it, but I could see that being the case.

Under those circumstances it is acceptable to get toasted, so long as the decision to attempt that is acceptable. Whether that was the case or not, the actual attempt should have had more success; with Myers' footspeed and reach, all it takes is a solid angle to cut the ideal lane away. In either case Leopold should have been able to stop Marchand or at least harass him more. He did limit Marchand's options enough that Miller never ever should have given Marchand that obvious backhand across the crease. So there's plenty of blame to go around there. I don't want to sound like I'm bending over backwards to think up ways to defend Myers, because usually I'm quite critical of him, I just think it might be a viable explanation in this particular case.

The pairing is just bad for business. I don't think either guy knows what his role in the pairing should be. Not every pairing has clearly delineated roles, but they seem to be confused in communication, awareness of each other, and they further seem to cramp each other's style. Some of their lowlights look just plain silly because of the finish, with weak, desperate closeouts, but the real breakdowns tend to happen seconds before from bad spacing.

HockeyH3aven

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
Myers got toasted on that play for sure, but I was half-watching the game replay on MSG and was wondering if he perhaps sold out hard on an aggressive attempt to stop the play at the wall knowing Leopold had the center of the ice? Pure speculation and I don't necessarily put much stock in it, but I could see that being the case.

Under those circumstances it is acceptable to get toasted, so long as the decision to attempt that is acceptable. Whether that was the case or not, the actual attempt should have had more success; with Myers' footspeed and reach, all it takes is a solid angle to cut the ideal lane away. In either case Leopold should have been able to stop Marchand or at least harass him more. He did limit Marchand's options enough that Miller never ever should have given Marchand that obvious backhand across the crease. So there's plenty of blame to go around there. I don't want to sound like I'm bending over backwards to think up ways to defend Myers, because usually I'm quite critical of him, I just think it might be a viable explanation in this particular case.

The pairing is just bad for business. I don't think either guy knows what his role in the pairing should be. Not every pairing has clearly delineated roles, but they seem to be confused in communication, awareness of each other, and they further seem to cramp each other's style. Some of their lowlights look just plain silly because of the finish, with weak, desperate closeouts, but the real breakdowns tend to happen seconds before from bad spacing.

Myers seems to have a disconnect between his head and his feet. He doesn't seem capable of making plays and hockey decisions while also skating. That's why he just appears to glide a lot of the time, and while he'll get caught flat-footed.

I'm hoping with experience this stuff will become instinctual and he'll work his way through. He's still really young.

aceface33

Feb 10, 2006
Herkimer, NY
Vanek's favorite move has become shooting it off the board to himself..... I'm surprised he's only started doing this because it has been very productive thus far.

Actually that's something (the shooting it off the end boards to himself) he practiced a lot and tried a few times his rookie year. Then he shelved it for a couple of years for whatever reason. I'm glad he brought it out again. :nod:

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
G:
Lindy's excitement that Vanek saved his ass
Ryan Miller's desperation saves
John Scott manhandling Scotty Thornton
Foligno's board play

B:
Rene Recourt singing the anthem
The play in our own end, once again

U:
Jordan "Jesus" Leopold

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
The Good:

- Vanek, Hodgson, Pominville, Ennis, Foligno, Weber all played noticeably well in my mind.
- Another point for Grigs on a nice feed to Sulzer. We also need a goal badly then so it was clutch.
- Miller really flashed shades of old Miller in the third.
- Scott punching up Thornton. When was the last time we imposed ourselves physically against the Bruins?
- The further that point, NESN showed the hit stats at some point during the late 1st. It was like 8-3 FOR BUFFALO...

The Bad:

- Stafford's unnecessary poke on Dougie Hamilton. Dougie collapsing like he'd been shot by a sniper. The refs blowing it and missing the call. That play was bad all around.

The Ugly:

- Bruin fans. On top of generally running down Buffalo and the team, they spent all night crying like babies about the refs when in reality, only one blatant call was missed and they were given some pretty ticky tack PPs, like the Leo slash.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
i can, and i do

You claim splitting them up is an absurd option, despite recent history clearly showing otherwise. There's nothing I have to argue or prove to show otherwise. And let's be clear (again) - I'm not saying it HAS to be done, or has to be done NOW. It's simply proven based on recent history that it can be done and be effective. To argue against that point is to claim the sky is red...have at it.

RiotAct

Panickin' 4 Hanifin
Feb 28, 2007
Old Dominion State
just saw the thread on the main board about Marchand calling Lindy "disrespectful" for taking the timeout to get his skilled guys off the ice with Boston's goon out there.

Wow :facepalm:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Not sure if they should party too hard over this win, given the streak they just had. D-zone play is still too sloppy, they are over-playing their "top" pair which exposes Leopold for the 2nd pairing d-man that he is, still leaning too hard on one line (though Ennis seems to be coming around this week).

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
You claim splitting them up is an absurd option, despite recent history clearly showing otherwise. There's nothing I have to argue or prove to show otherwise. And let's be clear (again) - I'm not saying it HAS to be done, or has to be done NOW. It's simply proven based on recent history that it can be done and be effective. To argue against that point is to claim the sky is red...have at it.

If I pointed to Enroth's stats when Miller was injured last year as an example that supported the claim that we should trade Miller, and the idea isn't absurd, would you accept it?

Just because somethings been done before, and was successful to a certain extent... doesn't mean it's not entirely absurd given the present.

Suggesting splitting up V-H-P, in any way, in the PRESENT.... is completely absurd.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
One thing I just noticed, Grigorenko has literally done nothing but put up clutch points. :laugh:

He's starting to find his legs. I'm finally watching the Caps game (need space on the DVR), and he had a pretty solid first period there too. Key goal against the Leafs, nice assist last night against the B's. If he gets a winger with some offensive skills to compliment him (Leino, get well), it'll make things all the more interesting.

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
He's starting to find his legs. I'm finally watching the Caps game (need space on the DVR), and he had a pretty solid first period there too. Key goal against the Leafs, nice assist last night against the B's. If he gets a winger with some offensive skills to compliment him (Leino, get well), it'll make things all the more interesting.

I think its an example of how patience can pay off. We are seeing two things happen... #1 - Grigorenko is slowly coming around. #2 - Ennis is coming around. All that what done to prompt this was a minor line modification, Ott for Foligno.

I take it as a sign that we should let some of the young guys play and if they fail, keep letting them play.

Dutchess

Jan 23, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Godly: Vanek. I audibly said "this guy is ridiculous" to no one in particular.
Good: Pominville/Hodgson/Ennis/Weber/Sekera. Top line is carrying us but it was nice to see Ennis liven up. Sekera/Weber is about the only reliable pairing we have. Miller was out of his mind in the third.
Bad: Myers/Leopold. I don't know what's going to help Myers but good glaben, he was awful.
Ugly: I almost wish I watched the NESN feed just to hear the ridiculous crap they were probably saying. Probably threw in a few "Patrick Kaleta is the anti-christ" comments in just for good measure.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Godly: Vanek. I audibly said "this guy is ridiculous" to no one in particular.
Good: Pominville/Hodgson/Ennis/Weber/Sekera. Top line is carrying us but it was nice to see Ennis liven up. Sekera/Weber is about the only reliable pairing we have. Miller was out of his mind in the third.
Bad: Myers/Leopold. I don't know what's going to help Myers but good glaben, he was awful.
Ugly: I almost wish I watched the NESN feed just to hear the ridiculous crap they were probably saying. Probably threw in a few "Patrick Kaleta is the anti-christ" comments in just for good measure.

It wasn't as bad as usual. Edwards was talking about how the Sabres should be respected as a team now and that the rivalry should be strong.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Miller is getting a lot of compliments for his play in the 3rd, but I thought he was almost as good in the 1st, as well. It could've easily been 2-0 or 3-0 after the 1st period.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
If I pointed to Enroth's stats when Miller was injured last year as an example that supported the claim that we should trade Miller, and the idea isn't absurd, would you accept it?

Just because somethings been done before, and was successful to a certain extent... doesn't mean it's not entirely absurd given the present.

Suggesting splitting up V-H-P, in any way, in the PRESENT.... is completely absurd.

The Enroth comparison doesn't apply. Anyway, I'm not saying to split up VHS right in the present (that means within the next few games to me). I'm saying if...well you know what I'm saying because I already said it. Nothing more to bother with.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Vanek is the second player to score 5 points in a game two times in his teams first 7 games. The other player is Mario Lemieux. Vanek even missed a game so that is even more amazing.

As for VHP, I don't think switching Ennis for Hodgson for a few games would have any noticeable changes in production.I would wait a few more games before implementing this, but if we don't start winning games regularly then I would be all for this. I am not suggesting Hodgson is anything like Adam but last season Adam had 9 points in his first 10 games while getting to center Vanek and Pominville. Why did he score that many? Because Vanek and Pominville are legit 1st line players and Adam got to benefit from playing with them. Hodgson is not even close to being the straw that stirs the top lines drink and I think putting Ennis in that spot primarily to play with Vanek could really help our overall offense. Ennis has proved he can score, 49 points his rookie year, 34 in 48 last season for a 58 point pace. Last night in a short duration of playing with each other, Vanek and Ennis looked deadly. They connected for 2 goals and had atleast 2 prime chances for more. Since Hodgsons offense has been steady, I think putting him with Foligno and Stafford might get them going since Ennis hasn't been as effective with them like last year.

Vanek and Pominville have been so good that I wouldn't mind if struggling top 9 forwards got a few games to play with those 2.With those 2 having scored at will so far it could really kickstart some players if they got the chance. And this is Lindy Ruff we are talking about here, if any player gets injured or struggles and he scratched them then he totally jumbles his lines up after very short periods of time. He never sticks with the same lines consistently so we are bound to see this specific lineup at least once this season IMO.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
One thing I didn't see mentioned in here was the extra responsibility Foligno was given on the PK. It was good seeing that added dimension to his game.

Very much what he did in Sudbury -- he was on the top PK and played well there. Good to see him bring it forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad