Vanek gambling debt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadiens93

May 6, 2010
I know this is far-fetched and out there but does anyone else think that possibly Vanek owed more money to these bookies than what is being let on? I mean the guy was always kind of lazy and lackadaisical but he brought to a whole new level in some playoff games to the point where he wouldn't even try for a puck a few feet away and got benched for his effort. I know it's a different game and some players perform and some don't in that type of situation, I get that. To me though his effort looked like someone that either didn't care or wasn't trying to win at times. Games where he wouldn't even attempt to go after a loose puck, the next game he'd stand in front of a PK Subban slapshot and tip it home. Im not usually one for conspiracies but I mean I gotta think either the debt was weighing on his mind so badly along with other things that he couldn't perform or he literally wasn't trying to win because he was told by someone he owed money to, to throw the game. Trust me I know I sound like an idiot but I can't help but thinking after all this came to light that he could've been letting it affect his on ice performance or it was a situation where he had to perform that way. Trust me I know how crazy this sounds and probably shouldn't have written all this but have a watch at one playoff game to the next he honestly looks like a different player to me.

LeMAD

Mar 1, 2006
Montreal
lemad.freehostia.com
This has been posted a few times already since the start of the summer, and it looks like there isn't much truth to that story. Vanek has been cooperating with the police to put the guy in jail, and the Wild knew all about that story when hey signed him.

Vanek is just not the kind of player who skates around as hard as he can, relying more on his creativity. An this tyoe of player tend to be less effective in the playoffs, since there's less time and space to make plays.

Canadiens93

May 6, 2010
They knew all about the Islanders signing over a 230K cheque to clear him of his gambling debts? I mean its possible they did and didn't care but I can't help but wonder as this story unfolds if he was in for a lot more maybe somehow enough that he couldn't pay.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com...t-gambling-plea-rochester-mark-ruff/18168767/

"Wolford said after the plea that the $230,000 was a small portion of the overall debt owed by the gambler who paid with an Islanders check. The total of the debt was more than $1 million, he said."

Last edited:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I know this is far-fetched and out there but does anyone else think that possibly Vanek owed more money to these bookies than what is being let on? I mean the guy was always kind of lazy and lackadaisical but he brought to a whole new level in some playoff games to the point where he wouldn't even try for a puck a few feet away and got benched for his effort. I know it's a different game and some players perform and some don't in that type of situation, I get that. To me though his effort looked like someone that either didn't care or wasn't trying to win at times. Games where he wouldn't even attempt to go after a loose puck, the next game he'd stand in front of a PK Subban slapshot and tip it home. Im not usually one for conspiracies but I mean I gotta think either the debt was weighing on his mind so badly along with other things that he couldn't perform or he literally wasn't trying to win because he was told by someone he owed money to, to throw the game. Trust me I know I sound like an idiot but I can't help but thinking after all this came to light that he could've been letting it affect his on ice performance or it was a situation where he had to perform that way. Trust me I know how crazy this sounds and probably shouldn't have written all this but have a watch at one playoff game to the next he honestly looks like a different player to me.

The bolded seems the most logical reason. I can empathize with that situation. Then sometimes you just forget about it all, and everything clicks.

cjbhab*

Why would a million dollar debt be weighing on your mind when you have a career earnings of 57,000,000 on file and you know you are about to sign a 6+ m/per year deal.

This is like me at my current wage of $60,000 at 25 years old with a career earnings of 200,000 losing sleep over a 3,389 debt. not happening boys.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
Why would a million dollar debt be weighing on your mind when you have a career earnings of 57,000,000 on file and you know you are about to sign a 6+ m/per year deal.

This is like me at my current wage of $60,000 at 25 years old with a career earnings of 200,000 losing sleep over a 3,389 debt. not happening boys.

Yeah but all his money is tied up somewhere. They don't have millions sitting in the bank, and like normal people they spend their money before they actually have it.

Also I don't think career earnings is the way to look at this, he had to give 15% of this year's salary because of gambling, and that's after taxes so it's more like 30% of his net salary. That's a lot of money.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
A million dollar gambling debt is nothing to sneeze at. It can only lead to bad things... I could understand MB not signing him going forward - even if I didn't agree with it. But with this information I definitely think MB made the right call. I wonder if MB knew this at the time or if this is just coming out now...

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
If you make 60K at 25, your career earning are probably going to be way above 200K.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Actually no it's not. It would be more like you having a 15 or 20k debt.

Vanek doesn't take home that 7 mil all to himself. He's got his agent to feed and that can be a pretty penny. Also keep in mind that this is a million dollar debt... which very likely means he's lost well over a million that he's paid for by other means.

A million dollars is nothing to sneeze at no matter how you slice it. That kind of debt suggests he's got a serious gambling problem.

kovaless

Feb 21, 2008

A million dollar debt is huge, no matter what your earnings are. Take his earnings and cut it in half for tax. Then like anyone with money, they buy properties and cars, usually with loans. They are not fully liquid. Another problem is this was paid with a NYI cheque. When was the last time your endorsed you endorsed your entire paycheck? Obviously he has a problem I think.

cjbhab*

If you make 60K at 25, your career earning are probably going to be way above 200K.

I've only been working for 3 years and a bit.

60K x 3 years = 180K

Im comparing his current situation to mine.

59 million less even 60% for taxes is still a lot of money. Vanek must be a dope head if he can't afford to pay 1M right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad