Vancouver World Juniors

Status
Not open for further replies.

macleafs

Jan 1, 2004
Got my tickets for the medals rounds in Vancouver. I have an idea of a few players that will be there for Canada. Wondering who some of the other players may be. Is Canada going to be the favorite?

Macman

May 15, 2004
macleafs said:
Is Canada going to be the favorite?

It depends on whether or not the lockout continues. The Czechs and U.S. will be strong, but if Crosby is able to play, Canada will be right up there as well.

E&M

Nov 18, 2004
Vancouver
Steadfast said:
Do you have an idea what the ticket situation is like? I'm thinking of purchasing some..

Last I heard, they had sold out all of their 21 game packages. I don't know what they're doing for individual games.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
IMO the U.S. will have a stronger team in Vancouver than they did this year. I expect the goaltending to feature Cory Schneider and Jeff Frazee (who will be at Minnesota), with a (hopefully) solid defense (Jack Johnson WILL be on the team!), and a nice forward group that will have Kessel leading the charge.

mymkovski

Aug 16, 2004
E&M said:
Last I heard, they had sold out all of their 21 game packages. I don't know what they're doing for individual games.

I heard this to...but can't 100% confirm....

I can 100% confirm that I have 2 21-game packs! WOO! Back-to-Back World Jrs for me!

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
IMO the U.S. will have a stronger team in Vancouver than they did this year. I expect the goaltending to feature Cory Schneider and Jeff Frazee (who will be at Minnesota), with a (hopefully) solid defense (Jack Johnson WILL be on the team!), and a nice forward group that will have Kessel leading the charge.

Canada will be strong and you'll see a ton of '87's, just like two years ago at the WJC when Canada was loaded with '85's and should have won gold and then this past WJC when they completely destroyed the competition with the same '85's and more. Throw in some 86's like Pouliot, McGrath, Wolski, Chiphchura, Barker, Bourret and Dubnyk and it's off to the races.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
HabLover said:
Canada will be strong and you'll see a ton of '87's, just like two years ago at the WJC when Canada was loaded with '85's and should have won gold and then this past WJC when they completely destroyed the competition with the same '85's and more. Throw in some 86's like Pouliot, McGrath, Wolski, Chiphchura, Barker, Bourret and Dubnyk and it's off to the races.

Great! :propeller

bhar

Apr 14, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Hopefully Schneider does start for Team USA. It will be good to get a live view of him as a Canucks fan, and hopefully by that time he will have developed nicely.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
bhar said:
Hopefully Schneider does start for Team USA. It will be good to get a live view of him as a Canucks fan, and hopefully by that time he will have developed nicely.

I hope he gets the start too, cuz the last time I saw him he got lit up like a Xmas tree at the WJC!

gretzky99

How crazy would it be if the Canucks had G. Cory Schneider for the USA, and Julien Ellis Plante for Canada. And then, Canada and USA meet in the finals, wow, that would be amazing for us Canuck fans.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
HabLover said:
I hope he gets the start too, cuz the last time I saw him he got lit up like a Xmas tree at the WJC!

Yeah, one bad game in your first WJC constitutes getting lit up............ :shakehead

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
monster_bertuzzi said:
Dont forget about 6'4'' Jesse Juenssu.
Joensuu*

I think the United States is the clear favourite at this point with the likes of Kessel, Skille, Ryan up front, and Lee, and Johnson on defense.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
HabLover said:

Not a good comparison.
Crosby aside, Canada's 87's have nowhere near the talent level nor depth of the 85's -- especially on D. In addition, the 86's are rather weak; atleast by Canadian standards.
Not saying they won't be good, but talent wise they're certainly in the same boat as everyone else.

Last edited:

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I'd say Russia has to be the favorite. They're returning 10 players from the silver medal team - inluding 3 of their top five scorers.

WesternEliteHockeyPr

Mar 5, 2003
Visit site
I think Joe Barnes or Devin Setoguchi could surprise many and make the team. Joe Barnes seems to have been forgoten but scored 31 after missing large chunks of his 16-17 yr old seasons with severe injuries.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Zine said:
Not a good comparison.
Crosby aside, Canada's 87's have nowhere near the talent level nor depth of the 85's -- especially on D. In addition, the 86's are rather weak; atleast by Canadian standards.
Not saying they won't be good, but talent wise they're certainly in the same boat as everyone else.

The 87's and not Crosby aside, are every bit as good as the '85's, if not more talented! The D might not have the big names like Phaneuf, Coburn, Seabrook, etc, but they are deep and have talent! I agree the '86's were an off year between the '85's and '87's and will probably only make up around half the WJC team next year in Vanouver.

BCCHL inactive

allin4466 said:
Whats canada going to have for tendies this year?

If Dubnyk is available (no reason why he shouldn't be), he'll start.

I think Carey Price might lead the race to the backup spot.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Van said:
If Dubnyk is available (no reason why he shouldn't be), he'll start.

I think Carey Price might lead the race to the backup spot.

Yeah, I've been saying it will be that combo for a while now. Price may get beat out by a Shantz or say a Peters, but he should be the guy unless he stinks it up to start the 05/06 season. A darkhorse might be a Yeomans out of Kelowna, although there are a ton of goalies who could play for Kelowna and play just as well. You'll probably see Dubnyk and Price at the summer camp anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad