Friedman: Vancouver working on a 1 year extension for Luke Schenn

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
I actually liked Schenn as a Coyote for the most part, until we started seeing him be exposed by speed, mostly in his last season with us. If the game's speed was reduced to half of what it is now, he would probably be an elite shutdown D. If you have him paired with a D that can make up for his lack of speed, I can see how he could still provide some value. You won't see him provide much offense at all, but he's a tough dude.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I actually liked Schenn as a Coyote for the most part, until we started seeing be exposed by speed, mostly in his last season with us. If the game's speed was reduced to half of what it is now, he would probably be an elite shutdown D. If you have him paired with a D that can make up for his lack of speed, I can see how he could still provide some value. You won't see him provide much offense at all, but he's a tough dude.

Said pretty much the same thing at the end of his Kings tenure too, surprising that he hasn't stuck at least as a bottom pairing/#7 guy anywhere till now.

Reactions: RABBIT

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
As a Canucks fan I'm all for this. He's been great in the role he's been given, and is a surprisingly good fit next to Hughes.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Luke Schenn coming back for his 12th NHL season. Veteran of 731 regular season games and counting. He maintained a few years of top-4 play. I'm glad he's still kicking around. Hopefully, he hits his stride in Vancouver and can reach the 1000 game plateau by the end of his career. I'm guessing he doesn't, but I've seen worse picks at #5 overall. A comparable pick to Luke Richardson by the Leafs, but the style of game played today probably doesn't help him catch the games and seasons played totals of Luke.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
I've really liked with the Canucks. Plays a simple solid game. He looked OK before Hughes came up, but has been fantastic in both games with him. He is a huge step up from Del Zotto an Gudbranson.

JB has done with his 3 reclamation projects this year in Pearson, Leivo and Schenn.

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
I couldn't have been the only one that thought he would just play in Utica and then not get re-signed.

He's been surprisingly good, probably will cost next to nothing on a one-year, all for this.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
No brainer.. So underrated its ridiculous. Give him a multi year deal instead.

a one year deal here would open up an option for a 2 year deal next year so that the Canucks wouldn't need to expose an extra defenseman for Seattle, since he isn't worth a 3 yera deal at this point

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
a one year deal here would open up an option for a 2 year deal next year so that the Canucks wouldn't need to expose an extra defenseman for Seattle, since he isn't worth a 3 yera deal at this point

Ya i guess that damn expansion process is looming once again.. Good call

StonedAF

Mar 21, 2019
I know most Leafs fans weren't big supporters but I loved Schenn when he was here and would have gladly had him back on our 3rd pair. Quality person regardless of his on ice contributions.

StonedAF

Mar 21, 2019
What? That's nonsense.
When he was traded the majority lambasted him on the way out like he was crap just cause the trade was good for the Leafs. Even now I've seen a couple proposals to bring him back and they always get crapped on so you have your opinion, I have mine. Still wear my Schenn jersey.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Luke Schenn coming back for his 12th NHL season. Veteran of 731 regular season games and counting. He maintained a few years of top-4 play. I'm glad he's still kicking around. Hopefully, he hits his stride in Vancouver and can reach the 1000 game plateau by the end of his career. I'm guessing he doesn't, but I've seen worse picks at #5 overall. A comparable pick to Luke Richardson by the Leafs, but the style of game played today probably doesn't help him catch the games and seasons played totals of Luke.

Which Luke? :laugh:

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
working on? What's there to work on? Luke, do you want to stay in the nhl? Uh yes sir.

There done.

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
He brings grit, tenacity and has a back bone. His foot speed is an issue leading to poor positioning and getting caught flat footed. But he is sturdy and still a young dude so all the best for luke!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00