OT: Vancouver Whitecaps (and general soccer) 2021

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not sure what you can judge from just one game....looked to me like the Canadians were tight in the first half, but basically dominated the second half.

Hard to get a read on this squad....should know more after the game against the U.S. on Sunday in an away game. Canada also got some help on the out-of-town scoreboard, as they say.

U.S. and El Salvador tied 0-0; as did Panama and Costa Rica 0-0. Mexico defeated Jamaica 2-1. So almost everybody lost some points on the night.

Reactions: Red

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
The European Champions just drew Bulgaria 1-1 when they flat out dominated them. WCQ is weird like that.

Canada dominated that 2nd half. Only concern is that Canada is very vulnerable on the counter. Imagine they will play tighter defensive football against the USA.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
As stated previously, there's a pretty big difference in quality between Canada's 4/5 players (Davies, David, Larin, Buchanen, Eustaquiao ) and the rest of the squad.

If our attack gets stifled, or Eustaquiao is prevented from really orchestrating the midfield, we struggle. And the defense is so weak, everytime Honduras attacked it was trembling and frantic at the back.

IMHO Kaye should partner Eustaquiao in midfield ( I love Hutchinson, but he is far from the player he used to be at his age and was a pretty big liability yesterday ), with Osario in a free role further forward linking David and Larin (Buchanen and Hoillet impact subs unless we're playing El Salvador or Panama at home).

Expectations need to be tempered, I laughed reading in the general World Cup Qualification thread when someone mentioned Canada could qualify through European qualification, not a chance. We have our strongest team in recent memory but if you go through each player only Davies is a standout, and maybe David as a decent young forward. Eustaqiao couldn't make it off Portugal U21's bench, and Larin is a average hot/cold target man who is very inconsistent, Buchanen is raw potential at this point as well and will experience growing pains.

We need to set up the way Herdman did previously in a 3-4-3 to utilize Davies and provide David someone to play around up top and be a roaming forward with Eustaquiao allowed to use his superior vision/passing/skill and general ability to beat most Concacaf presses to hit them in key positions on the break and in stride..something none of our other central midfielders can really do.

Hope for a point in Nashville, which will be extremely difficult but if we set up in a 3-4-3 and allow the USA to push forward, we could really hurt them on the break. El Salvador is a definition of a must win, so I wouldn't be surprised if we play the likes of Piette, Hoillet, etc vs the USA to keep Kaye/Osario fresh for that key matchup. 3 games in 7 days is mental.

Reactions: Lindgren

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Amazing to see how an interm manager is doing better than the 3 previous ones. Robbo stuck to his longball game till he got canned. MDS really offered nothing inspiring. Crazy how he lasted 3 f***ing seasons. Brutal.

Hopefully the VWFC invest in a good manager going forward. Look at the results from a semi-competent interm.

Last edited:

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Based on what I heard this morning, there is some serious doubt about WCQ games being played at BC Place. :( Edmonton to see games in November with January games being played @ BMO Field.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Give team credit for play against Dallas. Some top end efforts and the team unlucky not to win by more

Totally a player-led win and a player led team. Team still in search of top end coach. Coach almost lost them game by playing the hapless Metcalfe who should never see the field in a game as tight and important as this. Still waiting for the Academy to produce something of substance.

Never been much for Tiebert but he's been on decent run lately

Last edited:
Reactions: just22 and msew27

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Just watched the first half of Canada Mexico and was really impressed. Canada was unlucky not to be up by two. Wasn't able to watch the 2nd half but coming away from Azteca stadium with a draw is a great result.

Reactions: Lindgren and Red

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
Canada has not scored away at Azteca since 1980. Mexico is a top 10 team in the world. Amazing result, this team has a lot of skill but also belief. Canada in the past always played scared in WCQ.

I'm hoping the January game vs. the US will be at BC Place because where else would they play that one?

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
Canada has not scored away at Azteca since 1980. Mexico is a top 10 team in the world. Amazing result, this team has a lot of skill but also belief. Canada in the past always played scared in WCQ.

I'm hoping the January game vs. the US will be at BC Place because where else would they play that one?

Quite possibly the most infuriating thing is that somehow, I feel like Mexico got away with that point. That's just an unreal thing to be considering as a Canadian football fan. No team in the history of Concocaf WQ Qualifying has gone to America and Mexico away and not lost at least 1 I believe, until Canada yesterday. And so many before have gone to those places and hung on for draws. We took it to both teams and forced them to respect us as opponents with an offensive style.

This has been such a wonderful ride to enjoy. Can't believe I'm looking forward to Men's national team games in my lifetime. The defense is still suspect and we definitely looked fatigued toward the end, but being able to enjoy a qualifying run knowing that there may be a shot at the end, more than a shot if we keep playing this way, is fantastic.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
The sport was a complete afterthought in this country 15+ years ago. It's reassuring to know this country will churn out good players for years to come when you look at the program at the lower levels now. Positive football tactics and true development.

John Herdman has just been on point though. Turned the CWNT around and now doing the same with the CMNT. Some may argue the personnel has improved, but he has done a masterclass job with the in-game tactics.

Reactions: Red

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
There’s zero chance Canada can make the World Cup.

They are better than they use to be but still not good enough.
If the Canadians beat Jamaica on Sunday, and take care of business at home next Wednesday against Panama, their record would be 3-3-0. And they've already gone into Death Valley games in the U.S. and Mexico, and picked up valuable points.

Still a 'zero' chance that Canada can make the World Cup?

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
If the Canadians beat Jamaica on Sunday, and take care of business at home next Wednesday against Panama, their record would be 3-3-0. And they've already gone into Death Valley games in the U.S. and Mexico, and picked up valuable points.

Still a 'zero' chance that Canada can make the World Cup?
Yep

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Admire your bravado, but the top three teams in the CONCACAF tournament earn automatic berths to the World Cup in Qatar. And the fourth place team participates in a play-in tournament with some other also-rans from the Southern Hemisphere.

Based on results so far, exactly which four teams are better than the Canadians?

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Admire your bravado, but the top three teams in the CONCACAF tournament earn automatic berths to the World Cup in Qatar. And the fourth place team participates in a play-in tournament with some other also-rans from the Southern Hemisphere.

Based on results so far, exactly which four teams are better than the Canadians?
I just think at the end of the day, Panama and Honduras might end up higher.

Still have to travel to Honduras and have yet to play Panama.

Team got lucky playing the US away when they were missing a lot of their better players.

Mexico draw was a great result.

Just think until they actually beat someone of significance, the difference between draws and wins will be the deciding factor.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
I just think at the end of the day, Panama and Honduras might end up higher.

Still have to travel to Honduras and have yet to play Panama.

Team got lucky playing the US away when they were missing a lot of their better players.

Mexico draw was a great result.

Just think until they actually beat someone of significance, the difference between draws and wins will be the deciding factor.

We (and Jamaica) have had the hardest schedules of all teams so far. Honduras hasn't even played the US or Mexico away yet and neither has Panama. We have played both away and got 2 points from it.

The US was a depleted team in the Gold Cup when we played them over the summer (we were also depleted) - they did not really have a depleted team in September when we tied them.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Quite possibly the most infuriating thing is that somehow, I feel like Mexico got away with that point. That's just an unreal thing to be considering as a Canadian football fan. No team in the history of Concocaf WQ Qualifying has gone to America and Mexico away and not lost at least 1 I believe, until Canada yesterday. And so many before have gone to those places and hung on for draws. We took it to both teams and forced them to respect us as opponents with an offensive style.

This has been such a wonderful ride to enjoy. Can't believe I'm looking forward to Men's national team games in my lifetime. The defense is still suspect and we definitely looked fatigued toward the end, but being able to enjoy a qualifying run knowing that there may be a shot at the end, more than a shot if we keep playing this way, is fantastic.
The thing I have noticed the most about the Canadians’ standing in the world of soccer comes from the last two Mexico games. We have their attention. They’re playing more on their back foot than ever before against Canada, and they’re chippier and more emotional. They recognize that Canada is entering their realm in CONCACAF.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad