Vancouver Giants: #27 Ben Thomas

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
With Vancouver eliminated from the playoffs and the WHL season finalizing. Was looking in behalf of HF TBL at one of the prospects we have in the organization - Ben Thomas (RHD) as our 4th Rd Pick from 2014. I'm looking to see if the organization extends him a contract or he returns to Vancouver for an overage season. What kind of player is he (offensive/defensive), is he a stiff or mobile defender, what role did he play (PK/PP or 1st/2nd/3r pairing)?

Thnx for any info on this prospect possibly ending their Junior career.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Can't really comment on his play with Vancouver but seen him quite bit in Calgary. Based on his play the second half of last season and the first half of this year I didn't think he was worthy of an NHL contract. He was pretty bad at the start of this season. He was playing on the 3rd pair with limited special teams work and was pretty close to being healthy scratched (which is why I believe he was traded). Seemed to regress a bit from the promise he showed as a 17 year old. He's has decent skill for a junior defenseman but don't think he'll put up many points at the next level. His tools are pretty average across the board-nothing that really stands out but he's a right handed defenseman and teams are always looking for those at any level.

Last edited:

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Can't really comment on his play with Vancouver but seen him quite bit in Calgary. Based on his play the second half of last season and the first half of this year I didn't think he was worthy of an NHL contract. He was pretty bad at the start of this season. He was playing on the 3rd pair with limited special teams work and was pretty close to being healthy scratched (which is why I believe he was traded). Seemed to regress a bit from the promise he showed as a 17 year old. He's has decent skill for a junior defenseman but don't think he'll put up many points at the next level. His tools are pretty average across the board-nothing that really stands out but he's a right handed defenseman and teams are always looking for those at any level.

Thnx for the feedback. Right now he'd be buried as 5th on the depth chart in the TBL AHL afilliate in Syracuse - and that's just the right side. Maybe he signs on as ECHL and injury call-up for Syracuse short term. He was injured (lower body) for rookie training camp this year and didn't get a chance to scout the kid. I'm mostly perplexed by the conflicting reports...received pretty glowing reports from: http://thehockeywriters.com/ben-thomas-the-next-ones-2014-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/ but have seen that he still needs a lot of work and his point regression is quite troubling.

Anyways, appreciate the feedback. Thnx.

SmartPuck

Mar 8, 2016
He hasn't progressed very much, if at all. I doubt he gets an NHL contract. In saying that I think he played much better for Vancouver after the deal so maybe that changed things for his future.

Hordichuk_24

Thomas has been one of the Giants best players this year. On one hand that is sad given how many injuries and struggles the team has faced this season. On the other hand it's a compliment to him. He's been their most reliable all around defenseman. I would classify him more as a defensive defenseman but he has had opportunities on the PP. Don't think there is much upside offensively at the pro level. I wouldn't be surprised if he returns to Vancouver as an overager. Even if he is signed by Tampa or any other team he should be back in junior for his final year.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC

So, now that he's signed with Tampa, was the tryout deal with Syracuse just a formality or were they using a loophole?

Either way, good for him, he was definitely one of better defenseman the Giants have seen in years.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa

So, now that he's signed with Tampa, was the tryout deal with Syracuse just a formality or were they using a loophole?

Either way, good for him, he was definitely one of better defenseman the Giants have seen in years.

Yep, I understand your question and its a good one. So TBL structured the contract as a try out for the rest of the 2015-16 so he is not part of the 50 player contract limit for this season. That means his ELC slides to begin in the 2016-17 season. That is why there are two announcements one with Syracuse for the ATO and another with Tampa for the ELC but that is starting next year.

Excited about Thomas joining the organization from the feedback provided.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Yep, I understand your question and its a good one. So TBL structured the contract as a try out for the rest of the 2015-16 so he is not part of the 50 player contract limit for this season. That means his ELC slides to begin in the 2016-17 season. That is why there are two announcements one with Syracuse for the ATO and another with Tampa for the ELC but that is starting next year.

Excited about Thomas joining the organization from the feedback provided.

Thanks!

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
I still wouldn't be shocked if he's back in Vancouver next year. He really should be for his development, IMO. Playing minimal minutes for a full season in the AHL isn't going to be beneficial.

Crunch had three players on ELCs that started the year in the ECHL and played well over 50 games this season in the AHL ... that may be the same route they could take with Thomas.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
The last thing I'd want is to send my player back to the toilet bowl that has been the Vancouver Giants the past several seasons.

Hordichuk_24

The last thing I'd want is to send my player back to the toilet bowl that has been the Vancouver Giants the past several seasons.

It's still a better option than having a prospect barely play in the pros and lose all confidence. Don't forget there is no guarantee Thomas would stay in Vancouver all year. They could move him to another team as I'm sure he would be in demand. Vancouver has a solid group of 96 born players eligible to return. That draft class is very weak league wide. So teams will be certainly be calling to upgrade. Let's not forget it would be near impossible for Vancouver to get much worse. They do have a lot of young talent and they won't be worse next season than they were the past couple. A fully healthy Benson will made a huge difference.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Thomas showed well in his first game with Syracuse which came less than a week into his AHL tryout contract. With Koekkoek called up for an injured Stralman, Thomas will get more playing time if he continues to show well. Thought he was confident on offensive third recording several shots. He can move the puck and showed well in his passing and mobility. He was -1 but he was left to defend a 2 v 1 that found the back of the net. He didn't look out of place at all. Bodes well for his future with the organization. Didn't expect him to play so well tbh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad