Post-Game Talk: Capitals def. Canucks - 5-2 (Stecher, Baertschi)

Winner?

• Vancouver

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Washington

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • Do the Capitals play in Washington State, or Washington, D.C.? I'm don't know, Jordan.

Votes: 12 27.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I'm really confused as what to wish for. Beginning of season without a doubt I'm on Team Tank but these guys are surprising me. I'm still hoping we end up a lottery team and add another top 6'r but these kids look good and it's nice to see. The goal tending has been terrific and I know it will come back to earth but let's enjoy this while we can. This is definitely building the confidence of the kids as well !!

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I think we will play a great game but Washington is a better team and will grind out a win 4-2 with BOTH our goals scored by Boeser

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I'm really confused as what to wish for. Beginning of season without a doubt I'm on Team Tank but these guys are surprising me. I'm still hoping we end up a lottery team and add another top 6'r but these kids look good and it's nice to see. The goal tending has been terrific and I know it will come back to earth but let's enjoy this while we can. This is definitely building the confidence of the kids as well !!
The way I look at it we should enjoy it while it lasts. The last two seasons the team has come out of the gate strong and ended up with relatively high lottery odds. The difference this year is we're watching the future emerge, which is very fun to watch.

While I wouldn't be totally surprised if the youthful energy sustained this for longer than we expect, I think they will come down to earth by Christmas. EP will no doubt feel the effects of the NHL grind - he can't keep up this pace. The team likely won't stay as healthy as they are (even with the EP and JB injuries). If either of Edler or Tanev go down for any length of time (how likely is that?), the D-core will change shape very quickly.

So, now you know why you must enjoy. Because winter is coming.

PredsForPresidents

Dec 31, 2014
British Columbia
The way I look at it we should enjoy it while it lasts. The last two seasons the team has come out of the gate strong and ended up with relatively high lottery odds. The difference this year is we're watching the future emerge, which is very fun to watch.

While I wouldn't be totally surprised if the youthful energy sustained this for longer than we expect, I think they will come down to earth by Christmas. EP will no doubt feel the effects of the NHL grind - he can't keep up this pace. The team likely won't stay as healthy as they are (even with the EP and JB injuries). If either of Edler or Tanev go down for any length of time (how likely is that?), the D-core will change shape very quickly.

So, now you know why you must enjoy. Because winter is coming.
Idk man, its supposed to be a pretty mild winter this year...I'm always somewhat impressed at the start of the year, but we've been shutting teams' top lines every game and still scoring. I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel finally.

Reactions: Literally

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I just hope we talk about winter after every game no matter the result.
Especially after wins.
It helps keep perspective and keeps your entertainment value in check.

Reactions: Nomobo

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
This will be a good measuring stick of where we are.
Meh..
Measuring stick games are reserved for after teams settle into nd establish what they are after 20-25 games.

The good teams are all over the place currently... the caps just got taken to OT by the Panthers and rangers.. were blown out by the devils..

Who knows what version shows up...

But it will be a challenge for our PK... that's for sure.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Idk man, its supposed to be a pretty mild winter this year...I'm always somewhat impressed at the start of the year, but we've been shutting teams' top lines every game and still scoring. I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel finally.
Oh, for sure. The light is definitely there because they're doing it with mostly the youth. And they have two legitimate shutdown lines. I've been impressed and a little surprised at how effective Granlund's line has been since Beagle went down. When Pettersson gets back they have two effective offensive lines and two effective defensive lines. But I don't think it realistic to expect this level of play for more than a third of the season. They might not be bottom three this year but I still expect them to be bottom 10. And that's fine for this transition year.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Washington takes it. It's getting to be about that time of year when tanev or Edler go down with a lengthy injury as well, which should put to bed any of this "better then we thought" or "playoffs?" Discussions.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Washington takes it. It's getting to be about that time of year when tanev or Edler go down with a lengthy injury as well, which should put to bed any of this "better then we thought" or "playoffs?" Discussions.
Well... they still have to go down first..
They haven't yet.

In the meanwhile, our shutdown players are settling into a groove of confidence and effectiveness.

I'm thinking those injuries have to hit before we fall off the face of the earth..

We will continue to lose games when we fail to score enough..or goalies falter... so the intrigue is on to see what happens the next game..

Enjoy the entertainment value this team is providing while healthy... and (likely) gaining a huge boost in that department in Vegas.

But thanks for reminding us injuries may occur in future games ..

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
It will be interesting to see how the Canucks come out against the Capitals..Hopefully,the Canucks can sustain their game for the full 60 minutes (unlike the 3rd period against the Bruins where they were clearly out of gas).

The team is fun to watch...predicting an OTL...which I would certainly take from the the SC champs.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Remember when we destroyed the Caps last year and everyone was insanely optimistic about the year LMAO
That took our record to 6-3-1..

I would like to see 6-3 this year.

Everyone should be cheering for it..

Me.. because I like to see the Canucks win every game I watch for the entertainment value.
Others.. because wins now dont matter anyway cause winter is coming, so might as well grumble through an entertaining gm. But will make sure to remind people what happened last couple yrs.. and of winter.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Really liking Bennings moves of obtaining Schaller,Beagle,Roussel..(combined with Sutter,Granlund,Motte)..we would not have this winning record without them...I'm glad that that is where he spent the dough this off season (although term and $ are high),and allowed our young players in the top 6 to bloom....This was a good strategy,and will pay off.

Having Chaput,Archibald,Gaunce,Megna in the bottom 6 seems like a distant bad dream.

Last edited:

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Really liking Bennings moves of obtaining Schaller,Beagle,Roussel..(combined with Sutter,Granlund,Motte)..we would not have this winning record without them...I'm glad that that is where he spent the dough this off season (although term and $ are high),and allowed our young players in the top 6 to bloom....This was a good strategy,and will pay off.

Having Chaput,Archibald,Gaunce,Megna in the bottom 6 seems like a distant bad dream.
Who acquired Megna and Chaput? Who re-signed Gaunce and Archibald.

Reactions: brokenhole

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
It’s hiarious because Benning inherited one of the best bottom 6’s in the league that helped take the Canucks to the playoffs in his first year here.

He not only let one of the lost productive 3rd lines in the league walk away for nothing he also lost assets in the process (Prust deal)

Hemty

"Magni Consili Angelus"
Jan 14, 2015
Riga
soundcloud.com
I dunno where this "this team is fun to watch" is coming from. All i've seen is protect the lead at all costs, even if we're leading after the 1st period, lol (As seen in the Penguins game)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->