Post-Game Talk: Capitals def. Canucks - 5-2 (Stecher, Baertschi)

Winner?

• Vancouver

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Washington

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • Do the Capitals play in Washington State, or Washington, D.C.? I'm don't know, Jordan.

Votes: 12 27.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I dunno where this "this team is fun to watch" is coming from. All i've seen is protect the lead at all costs, even if we're leading after the 1st period, lol (As seen in the Penguins game)
Oh I dont know... maybe coming back 3 times from being down first and winning on the backs of the kids scoring big ones for us.

But people are entertained by different things.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I dunno where this "this team is fun to watch" is coming from. All i've seen is protect the lead at all costs, even if we're leading after the 1st period, lol (As seen in the Penguins game)

I didn't want to say anything, but yeah.

Last game I could have sworn we went half an hour without a shot on goal. Defending a 1-0 lead. Fun to watch, lol. I think people forgot what fun looks like.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
It's also funny to me how much weight people put on the post game skills competition.

If we had "lost" those two draws, the tone around here would be entirely different despite no actual difference in the hockey game. We took an early 1-0 lead and spent the entire game trying to protect it, and failed to do so.

Still, 3-3-2 in actual hockey after that road trip is extremely good, and much better than I was expecting.

Last edited:
Reactions: hellstick and Hemty

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
It's also funny to me how much weight people put on the post game skills competition.

If we had "lost" those two draws, the tone around here would be entirely different despite no actual difference in the hockey game. We took an early 1-0 lead and spent the entire game trying to protect it, and failed to do so.

Still, 3-3-2 in actual hockey after that road trip is extremely good, and much better than I was expecting.
Except it wasn't 3-3-2.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
It’s hiarious because Benning inherited one of the best bottom 6’s in the league that helped take the Canucks to the playoffs in his first year here.

He not only let one of the lost productive 3rd lines in the league walk away for nothing he also lost assets in the process (Prust deal)

Our current bottom six is probably the best one we've had in a very long time. The 2011 line of Torres - Malhotra/Lapierre - Hansen can't be beat, period, but the Canucks have consistently struggled to ice a competitive 4th line. Our current (when healthy) line of Schaller -Beagle - Motte/Granlund is the first legit 4th line I've seen from this team.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
That has nothing to do with what he said. The bottom six was horrible the past few years, now it is looking much better. I have been impressed with how they are playing.
Is it though is the combined 1 goal 4 points in 15 games really worth 8 million or the reason we have won anything?

BTW I like Roussel, but Beagle and Shaller is not a upgrade worth the money IMO. Also Motte and Granlund has not scored a goal with a goalie in the net yet. The reason for the Canucks records is Pettersson and the play of Nilsson on the road & Markström at home. Not an upgraded bottom 6

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
That Ovechkin guy should pay attention to boeser if he wants to score in the nhl.
Bad Jokes aside looking towards a great game, predicting a 5-4 game. Goals by stecher, goldy (2), erikson, rousell.

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary
Is it though is the combined 1 goal 4 points in 15 games really worth 8 million or the reason we have won anything?

BTW I like Roussel, but Beagle and Shaller is not a upgrade worth the money IMO. Also Motte and Granlund has not scored a goal with a goalie in the net yet. The reason for the Canucks records is Pettersson and the play of Nilsson on the road & Markström at home. Not an upgraded bottom 6

I am not counting on them to carry the teams scoring, nor should anyone with reasonable expectations of a bottom six. IMO they are worth the price at this moment when we are not paying top dollar for top talent. I was not sure how they would perform, but I am pleasantly happy watching the results. They are handling tough minutes.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Did you expect them to play a run and gun game with the penguins?
They’re fun to watch because they play a team game and there’s no quitting. So yeah, for some of us winning is fun.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Don't get me wrong i love that, but im just saying how the overall game looks.

Pretty much exactly the same scenario as last season. This team will stay afloat until the goaltending implodes. The defense is still terrible and the forwards are green as hell.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
The best way to put it is this. The canucks are giving 100% effort right now to scrape by teams giving 70% effort.

When the teams start going we will come back to earth hard. Look at the advanced stats and it’s not pretty.

We are shooting 33% above league average, getting above league average goaltending and puck luck going our way for a .500 record. It’s been fun watching the kids skills but we are an injury or two from the defense being a complete disaster

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I think its exciting start to the season. Improvements from young guys like Horvat Virtanen Goldobin and Stecher. Peetey when hes back. Boeser coming back to form. Roussell never has a boring shift. I admit its dull with Schaller Granlund Sutter Motte on the ice and yes wed like Gaudette to get more space to grow, but overall i dont see how anyone can say the entertainment value isnt getting better

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
The best way to put it is this. The canucks are giving 100% effort right now to scrape by teams giving 70% effort.

When the teams start going we will come back to earth hard. Look at the advanced stats and it’s not pretty.

We are shooting 33% above league average, getting above league average goaltending and puck luck going our way for a .500 record. It’s been fun watching the kids skills but we are an injury or two from the defense being a complete disaster

Yes.
We all have known this from the beginning of the season.

Hopefully you continue to remind up after every win.. while they can win.. before they stop winning cuz.. stats and numbers and future injury.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
I am not counting on them to carry the teams scoring, nor should anyone with reasonable expectations of a bottom six. IMO they are worth the price at this moment when we are not paying top dollar for top talent. I was not sure how they would perform, but I am pleasantly happy watching the results. They are handling tough minutes.
Im not sure that they are, the Canucks have been outshot and out chanced in basically every game. I would prefer to have more players that are a regular threat to score. Right now we have 3 (Petterson, Boeser Horvat) and 3 that support players (Goldobin, Baertshi, Sutter). The other 6 forwards basicly just try their best to not get scored on, to me thats not a way to win a lot of games in this League, you need more offensive players to push the pace, and to have the depth to survive injuries. The problem to me with the Canucks bottom 6 is that none of them can move up and be competent top 6:ers.

(And the Canucks could really use better offensive d-men but thats for another discussion)

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018

Just as important to prevent goals as it is to score goals. It’s not sexy but it’s effective and necessary for winning. The fast hard defensive play by the bottom six has been a big factor in the Canucks success along with the solid PK.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Washington Capitals

Ovechkin - Kuznetsov - Smith-Pelly
Stephenson - Backstrom - Oshie
Vrana - Eller - Connolly
Burakovsky - Dowd - Jaskin

Kempny - Carlson
Orlov - Niskanen
Orpik - Djoos

Holtby/Copley

Hemty

"Magni Consili Angelus"
Jan 14, 2015
Riga
soundcloud.com
Did you expect them to play a run and gun game with the penguins?
They’re fun to watch because they play a team game and there’s no quitting. So yeah, for some of us winning is fun.
That part i do like, and to be honest, i thought they did play a "Fun and exciting game" until Pettersson went out. But my viewpoint is probably biased, as im on Team Tank.

Hemty

"Magni Consili Angelus"
Jan 14, 2015
Riga
soundcloud.com
I think its exciting start to the season. Improvements from young guys like Horvat Virtanen Goldobin and Stecher. Peetey when hes back. Boeser coming back to form. Roussell never has a boring shift. I admit its dull with Schaller Granlund Sutter Motte on the ice and yes wed like Gaudette to get more space to grow, but overall i dont see how anyone can say the entertainment value isnt getting better
Tbh Gaudette has looked good, i wish Green would play him a bit more, just to see how he handles it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad