Vancouver Canucks Top Prospects

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
Today we take a look at the Canucks top prospects and offer scouting reports. Brock Boeser is not included in the article, but there is a link to his scouting report from before the draft at the top of the article. (We felt we wouldn't re-write pre-draft reports as nothing has changed for draft to today).

http://lastwordonsports.com/2015/08/31/tsp-vancouver-canucks-prospects-2/

LOL McCann's "auspicious" start . . . this guy has no clue what his cool big word means.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
LOL McCann's "auspicious" start . . . this guy has no clue what his cool big word means.

"Jared McCann’s season got off to less than auspicious start when he was diagnosed with mono last summer."

Merriam-Webster said:
Full Definition of AUSPICIOUS
: showing or suggesting that future success is likely : propitious <made an auspicious beginning>
: attended by good fortune : prosperous <an auspicious year>

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/auspicious

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
"Jared McCann’s season got off to less than auspicious start when he was diagnosed with mono last summer."

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/auspicious

Yes, it's good that you edited it, after I pointed out the error. At least you care,
which is a lot better than the general run of hockey writers.

Just a heads-up though. You left out the article "a" in the quote above, between "to" and "less": it has to read "got off to a less than auspicious start" to qualify as publishable writing.

What we write in the forum is "correct" in any shape or form just so long as it can be understood.
Grammar, syntax, spelling, all that stuff has no serious bearing here. But an article, even a hockey article,
requires a higher standard, in my opinion. I'm glad you think so too :)

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
If you are serious about a career in journalism I would just say thank you for the correction and just move on. As 701 said, standards are higher for published material.

Give me any newspaper in the world from the Guardian in London to the New York Times, and I can find a missing "a" or other typo. **** happens.... you don't have to act like a ****** about it.

The part that pisses me off though is accusing us of not knowing the meaning of the words used. The "a" was edited, the issue with auspicious was not. That's a reading comprehension fail on his part.

LovemyNucks

May 26, 2009
England

The guy puts together a pretty decent prospect report only to have a grammar nazi pick it apart. God forbid we have any sort of positivity on the Canucks board. So predictable and disappointing...

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
Give me any newspaper in the world from the Guardian in London to the New York Times, and I can find a missing "a" or other typo. **** happens.... you don't have to act like a ****** about it.

The part that pisses me off though is accusing us of not knowing the meaning of the words used. The "a" was edited, the issue with auspicious was not. That's a reading comprehension fail on his part.

The guy puts together a pretty decent prospect report only to have a grammar nazi pick it apart. God forbid we have any sort of positivity on the Canucks board. So predictable and disappointing...

I'm with you on this one. 'Last Word Army', you're okay in my book! I've always liked your articles.

701 is an Ivy leaguer. Those Harvard boys just need to let off a little steam once in while. :laugh:

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls

Awww, poor you, here have a hanky. Any bridges within walking distance?

Thankfully for all of us, the puck's going to drop pretty soon. Nerves get frayed during
the endless summer. I've been quite a positive sort of poster during my 10 years here,
but I'll admit that this off-season in particular has eroded my usual good cheer. I don't
think it's all the changes in themselves, but it's the waiting to see if they're going to pay
off . . . and wondering how it's all going to shake out, especially against Edmonton and Calgary.

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009

Your article is a joke. You basically just rewrote what everyone has already said about Virtanen, Demko, McCann and Corrado.

Maybe try including more instead of just 4 players. Top prospectS! Not top 3 and a sleeper.

huntison

Aug 12, 2008
Pretty good... pretty much all the same stuff we have seen written before about these guys..

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Decent article with good observations. Thanks for the link

LastWordArmy, I'd highly recommend developing a thicker skin if you're going to get into journalism, particularly in the 'Comments' age. And let's be real here, mate: you posted the article to a message board. Doing so implicitly invites criticism. Take it on the chin and move on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad