heres my prospect pool for next year

1) brock boeser
2) troy stecher
3) guillaume brisebois
4) brendan gaunce
5) A bag of apples
6) cole cassels
7) mackenze stewart
8) some 29 year old defenceman we signed that keeps getting justified as a late bloomer
9) yan-pavel laplante
10) The 24 year old we traded Jordan Subban for, weeks before he wins a stanley cup and the conn smythe
11) me

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
the 2016 canucks lose an unprecedented 69 games in a row

heres my prospect pool for next year

1) brock boeser
2) troy stecher
3) guillaume brisebois
4) brendan gaunce
5) A bag of apples
6) cole cassels
7) mackenze stewart
8) some 29 year old defenceman we signed that keeps getting justified as a late bloomer
9) yan-pavel laplante
10) The 24 year old we traded Jordan Subban for, weeks before he wins a stanley cup and the conn smythe
11) me

That Verviticus guy is underrated, I'd have him at #7 at the very least.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
In all fairness, I'd wait until after the draft before drawing a direct comparison from last year. It's not right to strike the graduated prospects from the list without adding new ones from the draft (and any trades if we were rebuilding properly).

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
In all fairness, I'd wait until after the draft before drawing a direct comparison from last year. It's not right to strike the graduated prospects from the list without adding new ones from the draft (and any trades if we were rebuilding properly).

We already traded away our very early 2nd and 4th round picks (and swapped our early 5th for a late 5th). The only way we add a draft pick that would get us a prospect of good quality is if we traded someone like Hansen or Edler (and it's not going to happen since we're trying to compete), or if we trade one of our better prospects (and that's a step sideways at best). We could also trade back in the draft, but I really don't see us doing that with our 1st round pick.

Benning has accomplished the unthinkable, making our roster and prospect pool worse at the same time.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
We already traded away our very early 2nd and 4th round picks (and swapped our early 5th for a late 5th). The only way we add a draft pick that would get us a prospect of good quality is if we traded someone like Hansen or Edler (and it's not going to happen since we're trying to compete), or if we trade one of our better prospects (and that's a step sideways at best). We could also trade back in the draft, but I really don't see us doing that with our 1st round pick.

Benning has accomplished the unthinkable, making our roster and prospect pool worse at the same time.

Yeah, I'm probably just being annoying. There's no way the prospect pool comes out looking better than last season in a couple months time, unless Benning actually decides to start trading for picks and prospects.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Lol, gimme a break
1. Hutton & Virtanen don't count.
2. Even if they do count, Virtanen is still our 4th best prospect

O ok take em out then and thats the list

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Today:

1) 5th Overall
2) Brock Boeser
3) Thatcher Demko
4) Nikita Tryamkin
5) Jordan Subban
6) Brendan Gaunce
7) Troy Stecher
8) Guillaume Briseboise
9) Tate Olson
10) Cole Cassels

3rd worst record in the league and this is our prospect list. Pathetic.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Today:

1) 5th Overall
2) Brock Boeser
3) Thatcher Demko
4) Nikita Tryamkin
5) Jordan Subban
6) Brendan Gaunce
7) Troy Stecher
8) Guillaume Briseboise
9) Tate Olson
10) Cole Cassels

Yikes.

I think one could argue that Brisebois and Olson could be moved up to #5 and #6 respectively, but that probably makes the list look even worse.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
It's still almost unfathomable that the 28th best team in the league with a soon to be 36 year old #1 center has Cole Cassels as its #1 C prospect (or Gaunce depending on what position management thinks he is).

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
It's still almost unfathomable that the 28th best team in the league with a soon to be 36 year old #1 center has Cole Cassels as its #1 C prospect (or Gaunce depending on what position management thinks he is).

And I keep reading about how deep the Canucks are at center, thus McCann was expendable.

I've just been sitting in little old Utica, watching and cheering on the Comets, and posting every once in a while about the incredible lack of depth being developed by the Canucks management team and pointing out how there are really very few real serious NHL prospects on the farm. Then I watch the most promising prospects at the head of the list they do have get traded along with their reserve of high draft picks. Then a new list goes up and the numbers of prospects shrink and the level of promise on that list decreases instead of both increasing as they should with a rebuilding team.

If you look at the prospect pool available for the farm this season, it's not exactly a brilliant, star studded, blue chip package past Demko and he's yet to play a pro game, but I'm reading on this page how he should be in Vancouver by Oct./'17, not with the protection package he's got lined up at the moment.

Subban is poor defensively.

Sautner is working hard to make himself an AHL D-man and he has a ways to go.

Stecher is a college kid who could show hot or cold in the pro game. The verdict is out there, but he will not be a defensive stalwart right out of the gate.

Nilsson is yet another Vancouver reclamation project. He was drafted by Toronto in 2011, played a total of 40 some games with the Marlies, was released and returned to Sweden. Now, he will be the next Andersson or Tommernes hopeful.

If Neill shows up he is pure rookie with a long, long, long shot of becoming anything.

McEneny and Cederholm have shown nothing to make me a believer that they all of a sudden show up as defensive gems.

One of Biega or Pedan (maybe both) get put on waivers in an attempt to get them back to Utica.

If Biega gets here, he is head and shoulders above all the rest on this list.

Pedan is less effective from a pure defensive standpoint because he suddenly tried to emulate the ghost of Bobby Orr's upon his return from Vancouver and went totally to Hell.

As to the forwards? LaPlante, LaBate, and Cassels are the only ones currently under contract. Rodin is signed, but apparently is so good he will go back to Sweden if he doesn't make the big club. Benning actually accepted that crap in the contracts of Rodin and Tryamkin.

If Travis Green is not in Utica next season to deal with this bunch and Benning doesn't stock the cupboard with some serious AHL veteran talent to protect his blue chip goalie, the kid will have some real tough sledding ahead of him. God can't succeed in goal in the AHL without a decent group in front of him.

Last edited:

Love

Feb 29, 2012
our team got worse and our prospect pool shrunk substantially. lmao

Way less depth from the year before and only Gudbranson to show for it.

3rd worst record in the league and this is our prospect list. Pathetic.

Yikes.

I think one could argue that Brisebois and Olson could be moved up to #5 and #6 respectively, but that probably makes the list look even worse.

The issue I have is not that the prospect pool is so bad right now. I actually think the top 5 is pretty decent.

The issue is that it could (should) be so much more. Why is Shinkaruk not in that group right now? Why was the 33rd overall pick traded away like its a throw in? Why did we not get a single pick for Vrbata or Hamhuis when we should've walked away with at least a 1st + 2nd from those two combined?

The prospect pool is meh, in part because Virtanen/McCann/Hutton were on it last off season and are now NHLers or traded. But the real issue is that we will not be restocking the cupboard other than with the 5th overall pick which isn't enough. There is absolutely no excuse for us to not have 4 picks in the first 60 selections of the draft, instead we currently have 1.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014

I thought we were loaded at centre which is why we traded McCann? Quick, someone tell Benning he goofed again.

It's shameful how much worse our prospect pool looks at the end of this year compared to the beginning, after our worst season in decades to boot. Meanwhile teams like Winnipeg added multiple picks and prospects without even accounting for the fact they won the lottery.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
And I keep reading about how deep the Canucks are at center, thus McCann was expendable.

I've just been sitting in little old Utica, watching and cheering on the Comets, and posting every once in a while about the incredible lack of depth being developed by the Canucks management team and pointing out how there are really very few real serious NHL prospects on the farm. Then I watch the most promising prospects at the head of the list they do have get traded along with their reserve of high draft picks. Then a new list goes up and the numbers of prospects shrink and the level of promise on that list decreases instead of both increasing as they should with a rebuilding team.

If you look at the prospect pool available for the farm this season, it's not exactly a brilliant, star studded, blue chip package past Demko and he's yet to play a pro game, but I'm reading on this page how he should be in Vancouver by Oct./'17, not with the protection package he's got lined up at the moment.

Stecher is a college kid who could show hot or cold in the pro game. The verdict is out there, but he will not be a defensive stalwart right out of the gate.

Nilsson is yet another Vancouver reclamation project. He was drafted by Toronto in 2011, played a total of 40 some games with the Marlies, was released and returned to Sweden. Now, he will be the next Andersson or Tommernes hopeful.

If Neill shows up he is pure rookie with a long, long, long shot of becoming anything.

McEneny and Cederholm have shown nothing to make me a believer that they all of a sudden show up as defensive gems.

One of Biega or Pedan (maybe both) get put on waivers in an attempt to get them back to Utica.

Pedan is less effective from a pure defensive standpoint because he suddenly tried to emulate the ghost of Bobby Orr's upon his return from Vancouver and went totally to Hell.

As to the forwards? LaPlante, LaBate, and Cassels are the only ones currently under contract. Rodin is signed, but apparently is so good he will go back to Sweden if he doesn't make the big club. Benning actually accepted that crap in the contracts of Rodin and Tryamkin.

If Travis Green is not in Utica next season to deal with this bunch and Benning doesn't stock the cupboard with some serious AHL veteran talent to protect his blue chip goalie, the kid will have some real tough sledding ahead of him. God can't succeed in goal in the AHL without a decent group in front of him.

Yes Utica will not have many Canuck Prospects but you may get some vets from the Ahl and nhl like Higgins. It could look more like the Utica team of two years ago. So I wouldn't worry yet. The Canuck prospect pool is not deep but good players plus the team has many young players already on ie Sven Jake Bo Hutton Gudbranson Tryamkin.If you add PLD Boeser and Demko to that there are players to build with. It is not as tragic as people here say young player wise. Tragic is our drafting 2006 to 2011 2014 really added a boost to our prospect pool.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
That is a really thin pool now.After the top 3,there's probably only 3 NHLers in there and all the forwards are bottom sixers.
Obviously the #5 pick will be our new top prospect but the 3rd round and later picks likely won't crack the top ten of that weak list.Trading that 2nd rounder hurts but the TDL debacle looks even worse now.

I think that Gaunce has a good shot at becoming an NHL regular. Of those below, I'd say there's a good chance that none will make it. If a couple of them ended up making a significant contribution to the Canucks, at this point that'd have to be considered a good result.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
I thought we were loaded at centre which is why we traded McCann? Quick, someone tell Benning he goofed again.

It's shameful how much worse our prospect pool looks at the end of this year compared to the beginning, after our worst season in decades to boot.

It is shameful that people pretend to not know where the prospects went. Three graduated three are too old, three got traded for nhl players one got waived. So there goes 10 of the top 20. Recount might be 9 anyways they did not disappear and other than McCann and possibly Hunter the rest that are gone are very marginal. Meaning you can pick up as good of players just as Ahl UFA's.

That said I cannot imagine our prospect pool when Demko Boeser and PLD possible graduate after playing the 17-18 season in the nhl. Could be the 2017 first pick then a bunch of mid round picks, college free agents. Of course we will have one one the youngest teams in the league so maybe it does not matter that much.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
1) 5th Overall
2) Brock Boeser
3) Thatcher Demko
4) Nikita Tryamkin
5) Brendan Gaunce
6) Jordan Subban
7) Troy Stecher
8) Guillaume Brisebois
9) Dmitry Zhukenov
10) Cole Cassels
11) Ashton Sautner
12) Carl Neill
13) Mike Zalewski
14) Tate Olson
15) Mackenze Stewart
16) Adam Gaudette
17) Michael Garteig
18) Evan McEneny
19) Anton Cederholm
20) Alex Friesen
21) Yan-Pavel Laplante
22) Lukas Jasek
23) Kyle Pettit

Really.... there's nobody left after #23.... I guess quality over quantity, right?

Cheering for 2016's #5th overall, 3rd round, 5th round, 6th and 2 x 7th round picks.. hahaha.. Come on Jim.. Prove 'em wrong. :sarcasm::yo:

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
It is shameful that people pretend to not know where the prospects went. Three graduated three are too old, three got traded for nhl players one got waived. So there goes 10 of the top 20. Recount might be 9 anyways they did not disappear and other than McCann and possibly Hunter the rest that are gone are very marginal. Meaning you can pick up as good of players just as Ahl UFA's.

That said I cannot imagine our prospect pool when Demko Boeser and PLD possible graduate after playing the 17-18 season in the nhl. Could be the 2017 first pick then a bunch of mid round picks, college free agents. Of course we will have one one the youngest teams in the league so maybe it does not matter that much.

We lost two to graduation, Hutton and Virtanen. Not sure if McCann played enough games to graduate but we traded him anyways, along with Shinkaruk and to a much lesser degree Jensen. People know these guys were traded and that the other two graduated but a terrible team should be able to restock the graduating prospects to some degree which is why people are pissed. We subtracted a bunch this year and all we are adding is our 1st round pick. Take Winnipeg or Carolina for example who each added a solid prospect and multiple picks.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

Well, Vey and Granlund will probably join the Comets next season at some point.
Not that they are that useful but yeah...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad